Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Pi is out! Tau is in!

π is out! τ is in!

Learn a little bit here and discuss.

I personally think this makes a lot more sense!

Deleted
    yay more reason to attack my teacher with logic!

Deleted
    Yeah, it's about time we change it, I never got the 18th century math obsession. Some stuff is easy, but some others simply doesn't make sense today, including 2pi. Now I just have to be a suck up and tell my teachers about this.

10+ Year Old Account
    This does seem to make a lot more sense, but I wonder how long it will take them to actually change the way we're taught from 2pi to tau.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post
    This does seem to make a lot more sense, but I wonder how long it will take them to actually change the way we're taught from 2pi to tau.
    Probably like forever, but I know for sure that I'll try to get this implemented as fast as I can in my school. It's not like it's complicated or anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've used Tau instead of 2Pi for a while now.

Deleted
    sure I can see the point, but it is like we are using Degree instead of Gradian, tradition.

Deleted
    This makes much more sense to me aswell but like the guy said, I doubt it will get implemented any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ible View Post
    both pi and tau are servers in grepolis -.-
    Funny sig.

Why has no one told me about this before? This is brilliant. Tau will simplify math at a younger age, and I'm sure we all know someone who's really bad at maths who doesn't need it to be unecessary complicated.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    He's right it would be easier to teach tau instead of 2pi - but apart from that it is irrelevant. And teaching was never about easy.
    Tau is artificial construct, while pi is real. That's more important than easier teaching. I don't want kids to know nothing about pi.

Deleted
    Sure it may be better, but as he said, it can't be changed for what has been for this long time. It's too late to rewrite math if its already working as intended.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    I agree with him. Tau is more logical, but as he said, the change wont happen so I feel it will just cause more confusion.
    The grass is always greener - The times were always better

Deleted
    It might well be that there are many equations with 2 pi in them that might be simplyfied by using tau and that the concept might be easier for learners to grasp but there are some very important formulas with only 1 pi or 1 pi squared in them and honestly i'd rather have a bunch of equations with 2 pi in them than a few with 1/2 tau od 1/2 tau squared which is much more cumbesome than 2 pi.

Deleted
    I like pie...I mean tau.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Goretusker View Post
    It might well be that there are many equations with 2 pi in them that might be simplyfied by using tau and that the concept might be easier for learners to grasp but there are some very important formulas with only 1 pi or 1 pi squared in them and honestly i'd rather have a bunch of equations with 2 pi in them than a few with 1/2 tau od 1/2 tau squared which is much more cumbesome than 2 pi.
    Who said anything about replacing pi entirely? I think it's a good concept to use tau where it's convenient (as in when 2pi is present) and the times when only 1 pi is needed, just use pi.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    Who said anything about replacing pi entirely? I think it's a good concept to use tau where it's convenient (as in when 2pi is present) and the times when only 1 pi is needed, just use pi.
    But he suggests teaching tau instead of pi - so new kids won't know what a pi is. It's not an issue now - but if he gets what he wants - no one in the future will know what a pi is.

And as he himself said numerous times - no one restricts them to just declare: tau = 2pi and go on with their math project.
    No he wants to teach tau instead of pi. Just for the sake of EASINESS.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    I personally think this makes a lot more sense!
    I don't. How can tau be more important than pi if it's based on pi?

I don't get it. Isn't that like saying, "Woohoo, Radius is out, Diameter is in!"

Woohoo, the area of a circle is (1/2)*tau*radius^2 ! Or... (1/8)*tau*diameter^2 ! This is simple, guys!

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    But he suggests teaching tau instead of pi - so new kids won't know what a pi is. It's not an issue now - but if he gets what he wants - no one in the future will know what a pi is.

And as he himself said numerous times - no one restricts them to just declare: tau = 2pi and go on with their math project.
    No he wants to teach tau instead of pi. Just for the sake of EASINESS.
    I don't see why there can only be one. Just mention quickly tau is 2pi and that 2pi is an alternative if anyone feels more comfortable using it.