Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gynshon View Post
    Yes there should be a way to implement a soul swap "fix" but it is above my level. But basically, why can't you do this:

- Soul Swap Inhale
    - Record the DPS stats into a variable.
    - Soul Swap Exhale
    - Update that target's values in affdots
    - Clear the variable.

Something like that?
    Yup yup. That's certainly the "happy path."

I should probably just put something along those lines in to an alpha and let people poke around with it to find any of the edge cases. I'll try to focus on that this weekend. Thanks, gynshon.
    Virtualize <Solution> @ Greymane | virtual#1157 | Web | YouTube | Twitter | Facebook
    Hermes - Share cooldown status with raid/party.
    Skada: Survivability - Show when a character died during a specific attempt.
    AffDots - Track the potency of your DoTs on a target.

Can someone clarify how the actual behavior of DoTs applied with Soul Swap: Exhale is different than what AffDots currently shows?

In what practical cases would the information provided by AffDots be misleading? To what extent would it mislead?

Quote Originally Posted by Elodeon View Post
    Can someone clarify how the actual behavior of DoTs applied with Soul Swap: Exhale is different than what AffDots currently shows?

In what practical cases would the information provided by AffDots be misleading? To what extent would it mislead?
    If I snapshot a dot on target 1 with a 10k int proc up and then inhale / exhale onto target 2 it will show the current values of the dots on target 2 as 100% even if the 10k int proc falls off. Further if I get a new proc for say 2k int it will say I will see a dps increase of X% even though in actuality I would see a decrease because it's no longer accounting for the 10k int proc I snapshotted onto the original target.

Basically once you switch targets affdots no longer accounts for the snapshot on the dots your exhaling and assumes the dots are just completely base dots with no procs on them.

Deleted
    Anyone have a complete weakaura string that uses the same code as affdots does? Could try fix it myself but I'm not really too great with lua codes. I love affdots but I can't quite get it to show as I want and it looks a bit different with the rest of my weakaura trackers.

First post of this thread has exactly that. You have to have Affdots on, but you can hide the UI and just use the aura. It's in the first section, near the bottom. You can convert the bars to icons, textures, whatever just leave the animation tab alone and you'll be alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    Basically once you switch targets affdots no longer accounts for the snapshot on the dots your exhaling and assumes the dots are just completely base dots with no procs on them.
    Shucks, so it sounds like it's as bad as I thought.

I basically played Affliction wrong the entire patch so far, because I incorrectly assumed that an add-on as popular as this one, and as otherwise well-written as this one, would not have such a ridiculous, horrible bug, and keep it for so long.

The existence of this bug largely renders AffDots useless in BGs, since you can't trust any of the information you see on Soul Swap: Exhaled targets.

Awful. Awful. Really awful. I understand the add-on is free, but in its current state, it's not helpful. How the author thinks it's reasonable to not fix this, because he cannot think of a solution that avoids any and all corner cases, is beyond me. As it is, the add-on is just utterly broken. Any fix, corner cases or not, would be better than this.

I mean it's been said by multiple people already;

This is not an easy thing to fix. If you want to take a stab at it yourself feel free to do so! There are plenty of Lua resources around that you could learn from. Virtual and others are not ignoring the "bug", it's just not as easy as you'd like it to be to fix.

Not sure if it's been asked but can you add a Chaos Bolt value also?

Shucks, so it sounds like it's as bad as I thought.

I basically played Affliction wrong the entire patch so far, because I incorrectly assumed that an add-on as popular as this one, and as otherwise well-written as this one, would not have such a ridiculous, horrible bug, and keep it for so long.

The existence of this bug largely renders AffDots useless in BGs, since you can't trust any of the information you see on Soul Swap: Exhaled targets.

Awful. Awful. Really awful. I understand the add-on is free, but in its current state, it's not helpful. How the author thinks it's reasonable to not fix this, because he cannot think of a solution that avoids any and all corner cases, is beyond me. As it is, the add-on is just utterly broken. Any fix, corner cases or not, would be better than this.
    It's only useless if you never once played aff while thinking for yourself about procs etc before this addon came out. The information it gives you has always been fairly useless since you should always know what procs / buffs are running and be able to figure out something like:

*this 4000 spellpower proc + my on use + dark soul is stronger than the current snapshot I have up which only has jade spirit on it, I should probably snapsnot a new set of dots and exhale them everywhere.

Oh hey I just exhaled on to my 3rd target and dark soul, my on use, and my spellpower buff fell of yet affdots is saying that since I have jade spirit and lightweave up that it would be an 11% dmg increase! That's probably wrong considering this last snapshot had 30% haste and almost twice as much spellpower on it, I'm not going to refresh the snapshot.

If you were using this addon as an excuse to not have to think or pay attention to anything for yourself you should re-evaluate your UI and how you think during combat.

As I wrote in PM ........

Here's my opinion for mechanism of Affdots(now) ::

Affdots recognizes DOT re-fill by checking DOT duration. If duration of the DOT is changed, Affdots considers DOT re-filled and calculate the damage of refiiled DOT based on player stats that moment. This method works very well.
    But, Soul Swap screwed up this method. If the player copy DOT by soul exhaling, then duration of copied DOT is stopped and It caused a duration change when player exhale soul to the target. As a result, Affdots recognizes the copied DOT as normal DOT by Soul burn : soul swapping and DOT damage is calculated based on player's that present stats.
    So, We always see [100] after exhaling soul. (even when procs is off) Is this right?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And, I've struggled to solve this problem. I think UnitDebuff() and the exact formula of DOT damage can help to solve the problem. UnitDebuff() returns duration, damage per tick on target's debuff. I can pick the damage per tick of Agony, UnstableAffliction, Corruption by using UnitDebuff. Then, we can calculate DOT damage per sec. and by comparing this values(current damage) with values on spell tooltiip(expected damage), we can solve the problem caused by Soul-Swap.
    We don't have to save the information of the last DOT.

This is just idea. Since I'm not a programmer, I don't have any idea whether it works or not, and how the memory(or resource) it takes. What do you say to this?

p.s.

Is there anyone who knows exact formula of Agony, Unstable Affliction, Corruption, Immolerate...?

Quote Originally Posted by Warlockczar View Post
    What do you say to this?
    I say this is still meaningless effort since WoD will remove snapshots and people should already be able to figure out whats stronger or not in their heads. The exact number of how much stronger is not really as important as *hey my BBoY just proc'd I should probably refresh my snapshot when it gets to 10 stacks.*

As I wrote in PM ........
    p.s.

Is there anyone who knows exact formula of Agony, Unstable Affliction, Corruption, Immolerate...?
    These are the values I use. The only ones that I may be wrong on (I think) is Agony and Doom because I am just counting Agony with a full 10 stack, and Doom because I haven't taken the time to look at Demo. I pulled this info from WoWHead data and the previous values in AffDots didn't line up.

Affliction
    Agony (980)
    damage = ticks * (324 + spd * 0.306) * damage_bonus * 10

Corruption (172)
    damage = (1584 + spd * 1.485) * damage_bonus

Unstable Affliction (30108)
    damage = (2170 + spd * 2.03) * damage_bonus

Destruction
    Immolate (348,108686)
    damage = (1980 + ticks * spd * 0.371) * damage_bonus * dmg_buff

Demonology
    Corruption (172)
    damage = (1584 + spd * 1.485) * damage_bonus

Doom (603)
    damage = (4004 / ticks + spd * 3.75) * bonus * ticks * dmg_buff

If anyone has anything different, let me know.

Sig made by Shyama. Click sig for current Warlock armory.

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    If you were using this addon as an excuse to not have to think or pay attention to anything for yourself you should re-evaluate your UI and how you think during combat.
    In a battleground, you have to change targets a lot depending on what's happening. While you switch target to that Warrior that's sitting on your bum, to see if you can safely Blood Horror or Mortal Coil him away, or if you have to Curse or Fel Flame first because he has Spell Reflect up, you might forget which enemy player you last Exhaled your strong DoTs to. Moreover, that last enemy player might die, or go line of sight or out of range or pop Deterrence or be Cycloned, and now you have to find an earlier one with a strong set of DoTs. Or someone stuns you and then fears you in the middle of your Soul Swapping, so the Soul Swap buff wears off, and now you have to find a good target to Soul Swap from. Through all this time, opposing players run around, so no one is where they were when you dotted them.

In each of these situations, I would find AffDots tremendously helpful, if it actually displayed correct information about how strong the DoTs are on which opposing player.

When I can't rely on AffDots to distinguish who is carrying my strong DoTs, versus who is carrying weak ones, it means I have to rely entirely on memory, which means I might as well not be running the add-on in that situation. It's not merely not-useful; it's misleading. The "information" it provides actively counters what I need it for.

- - - Updated - - -

UnitDebuff() returns duration, damage per tick on target's debuff.
    Where does UnitDebuff() return damage per tick...?

I tested with the following:

Code:
    /run for i=1,9 do local a={UnitDebuff("target",i)};
    local s=i.." "; if (a[1]) then for k,v in pairs(a) do s=s..", "..k.."="..tostring(v); end print(s) end end

I got this kind of output (Immolate should work fine as an example, so I didn't bother to change spec):

Code:
    2, 1=Immolate, 2=, 3=Interface\Icons\Spell_Fire_FelImmolation,
    4=0, 5=Magic, 6=20.998, 7=1584700.07, 8=player, 11=348, 12=true, 14=true, 15=502, 16=0

None of this seems to contain information about damage.

I think it would be relatively straightforward and fool-proof to store inhaled DoT stats into a variable on Soul Swap: Inhale, and assign those stats to DoTs applied with Soul Swap: Exhale.

If it's hard to reliably determine what unit we're inhaling from (e.g. if someone uses a focus or mouseover macro), then even just assuming we're inhaling from the current target would be leaps and bounds better than what we have now.
    Last edited by Elodeon; 2013-12-30 at 11:20 PM.

Elodeon//

I did just /run print(UnitDebuff("target","agony")) for target. Then, it prints the damage per tick the same with the target's debuff tootip.

gynshon//

Have you compare those formulas with real value? I think those formulas are from Wowhead, and I found that the value calculated by formula is not compatible with

the real value in game tooltip.

Baconeggcheese//

Yes, It does. But, I just want to correct error in Affdots. Just for my curiosity

In a battleground, you have to change targets a lot depending on what's happening. While you switch target to that Warrior that's sitting on your bum, to see if you can safely Blood Horror or Mortal Coil him away, or if you have to Curse or Fel Flame first because he has Spell Reflect up, you might forget which enemy player you last Exhaled your strong DoTs to. Moreover, that last enemy player might die, or go line of sight or out of range or pop Deterrence or be Cycloned, and now you have to find an earlier one with a strong set of DoTs. Or someone stuns you and then fears you in the middle of your Soul Swapping, so the Soul Swap buff wears off, and now you have to find a good target to Soul Swap from. Through all this time, opposing players run around, so no one is where they were when you dotted them.

In each of these situations, I would find AffDots tremendously helpful, if it actually displayed correct information about how strong the DoTs are on which opposing player.

When I can't rely on AffDots to distinguish who is carrying my strong DoTs, versus who is carrying weak ones, it means I have to rely entirely on memory, which means I might as well not be running the add-on in that situation. It's not merely not-useful; it's misleading. The "information" it provides actively counters what I need it for.
    The only situation you mentioned here that wouldn't just be personal flaws is if you get feared to egypt. If that is the case then in all probability your dots have timed out or have run so low that it's no longer worth soulswapping that snapshot. You're really just trying very hard to argue insanely short term memory loss and bad play.

Hell if you expected to be able to tab target through players to find strong dots after you forgot where you last exhaled 3 seconds ago using affdots and waste that kind of time doing it you really need to reevaluate some things.

These are the exact formula of 3 DOT. It might help you.

ticks_every(gap between dot attack) := 2 / (1 + haste(%))

D_bonus(damage bonus caused by mastery) := 1 + 3.1*Mastery (%)

duration of dot := tick * ticks_every

Unstable Affliction)

tick = Round(14 / ticks_every)
    D_tick(Damage per tick) := 0.3191*(Spell Power)+338.94
    D_tool(Damage on tooltip) := tick * D_tick * D_bonus

Agony) ---- this is based on agony stacked 10.

tick := round(24 / ticks_every)
    D_tick(Damage per tick) := 0.2805*(Spell Power)+298.47

c.f. Agony is calculated based on stack 10 agony. Agony with stack 1 is 1/10 of agony with stack 10.

Corruption)

tick := round(18 / ticks_every)
    D_tick(Damage per tick) := 0.1815*(Spell Power)+193.36

These are calculated by me on Excel, and these are based on the damage presented on Action bar tooltip, not on the debuff tooltip.

It seems to be an error on debuff tooltip.

Deleted
    is it possible to change the color of conflagrate charges? would like it to be green with one charge and blue with two, currently it's just black until you reach two charges.

Amazing addon, but i have one "problem". Refresh rate of displaying procs in affdots is too low for me and i can't find the option to change it. It's not a bug, i think is a standart state of addon. Not a big discomfort, but sometimes i want a little bit faster update of my procs.
    I'm using raven to additionaly control my procs and bars from affdots and raven located nearby. Difference in a refresh rate is conspicuous.
    Is there any way to change it in code?
    Mainly need to up refresh rate of haunt, other dots updated correctly.

(sorry for my english)
    Last edited by arf; 2014-04-07 at 10:46 AM.

Is there any way you can include an "WeakAuras 2" integration? So I can see if my DoTs are as powerful as possible, but in WA's way of customization?

Quote Originally Posted by modernkennnern View Post
    Is there any way you can include an "WeakAuras 2" integration? So I can see if my DoTs are as powerful as possible, but in WA's way of customization?
    There's an aura here that can help you out. It's in the first section of the post; can search for Affdots and it'll bring you right there.