Page 29 of 59 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Nothing will happen the Union will be as strong as its always been

This is just bluster from people who cant accept that there guy (who the huge majority of republicans hated) lost

Bottom line is anything the president wants will be voted down by congress anything the republican congress wants will be either voted down by the democratic held senate or the presidents veto pen

America will not turn communist the sky wont fall it will just be business as usual IE nothing will get done

In the word of the Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy DONT PANIC!

Good sir, if you're hoping and praying that Texas will leave the Union, I can only salute your endeavor, however, it will not happen.

I live in this state, I know of the petition, and I didn't sign it.
    What generalizations am I throwing out there? That they have sixty thousand signatures out of 30 million? Is that a "generalization" in your unique little world? If not, what is it that I am simply "generalizing?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Combooticus View Post
    Nothing will happen the Union will be as strong as its always been

This is just bluster from people who cant accept that there guy (who the huge majority of republicans hated) lost

Bottom line is anything the president wants will be voted down by congress anything the republican congress wants will be either voted down by the democratic held senate or the presidents veto pen

America will not turn communist the sky wont fall it will just be business as usual IE nothing will get done

In the word of the Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy DONT PANIC!
    yep pretty much my sentiments, the petitions are to get it heard, some things actually get done, others no.
    but if there's enough of a following it could get voted on in senate, which in my honest opinion, though it is doomed to fail, would be hilarious.

picture the media coverage of it lol
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Texas has been trying to succeed pretty much every year, nothing new haha

10+ Year Old Account
    irrelevant citizen generated petition.

oh, internet. only you could take these idiots seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elian View Post
    Does that mean, if they separate from the union, they'll pay for the wars caused by G.W. Bush,
    who is a Texan?
    It seems that you can create multiple accounts as you like in the Whitehouse petition page and sign it.
    This might be true, but the Tea Party has over a million members. So I wouldn't be surprised if the got 1 million + legitimate signatures.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Christan View Post
    i think we are over 58k now, out of the 25k needed by dec 9th, and it was only made 4 days ago now.
    it's become exceedingly popular in such a short amount of time.
    and mind you how many average people do you think even go to petitions.whitehouse.gov?
    https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...nment/BmdWCP8B

made nov. 9th, and it is at 60k now lol, i rechecked it.
    The petition started to make the social rounds, like this one. so it started picking up steam. Its even shown up on news sites like ABC and NBC. Letting it get even more attention. Plus, many of those signatures are from "other" states. I wouldn't be surprised if it passes one hundred thousand soon. Not factoring how many of those signatures are actually legitimate ones. Come on Obama. Let Texas have a plebiscite. Let us see how many actually want to leave.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Pancaspe View Post
    The last time a bunch of racist rednecks tried to secede from The Union, the US Army burned everything in it's path all the way to the sea. Do not think for a moment our great President Obama would hesitate as Commander in Chief of the Military to do whatever it took to hold the Union together.

Ironic, since many psychics have said Obama is the reincarnation of Abe Lincoln.
    Except if another Civil War erupted the South would win and it would probably be over in a week. Norfolk Naval base is home to the 2nd largest naval fleet. The largest is the pacific fleet sitting in San Diego. If the South united again the ships from San Diego would never make it before the entire eastern fleet is sitting outside the whitehouse in the Potomic while Airborne Rangers from Ft Bragg,NC occupy DC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    It's easier to take the position that requires less thought and discussion. The NDAA was supported by both sides of the table, for a host of legitimate and necessary reasons. If you don't know what those reasons are, you sound silly criticizing it. Feel free to continue doing so, however, because that's where your freedoms come from, from things that require great thought and discussion.
    Not really, You have the people in power who created it, and the uneducated masses who hear ideas as to what it has in it. You should read the provisions the NDAA, it is a long and boring read since 99% of it is a budget and a set of directives. However parts of it are not in the best interests of the people.

Here is the current version:
    http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/112/hr1540/text

Here is the revision up before congress:
    http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/112/hr4310/text
    Last edited by Gothicshark; 2012-11-13 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    Except if another Civil War erupted the South would win and it would probably be over in a week. Norfolk Naval base is home to the 2nd largest naval fleet. The largest is the pacific fleet sitting in San Diego. If the South united again the ships from San Diego would never make it before the entire eastern fleet is sitting outside the whitehouse in the Potomic while Airborne Rangers from Ft Bragg,NC occupy DC.
    Uh... this is completely ignoring the fact that the soldiers on the bases are from all over the country. There would be no unified response from any military base in the nation.

So because a few thousand idiots sign a peition, the US is falling apart?

This is just ridiculous. It's just some of the anti-Obama hyper-conservative hyper-partisanship that this country is suffering from.

90% of Texans would consider themselves Americans before Texans.
    Last edited by tachycardias; 2012-11-13 at 01:23 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Hahahahahaha, there's so much faulty logic in this I don't even know where to begin.

You seem to be operating under the assumption that because a base is located somewhere that it would join that side, and that all personnel and vehicles/ships would immediately be loyal to the cause. They serve the United States military, not the southern confederacy, and any rebels would be quickly subdued by loyal service men. Any Civil War would be over in a week, but not for the reason you stated. Maybe if we were talking about a video game that's how it would work.

---------- Post added 2012-11-13 at 08:28 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by tachycardias View Post
    So because a few thousand idiots sign a peition, the US is falling apart?

This is just ridiculous. It's just some of the anti-Obama hyper-conservative hyper-partisanship that this country is suffering from.

90% of Texans would consider themselves Americans before Texans.
    Did you see the article where a woman ran over her husband with her Jeep because she thought her husband was solely responsible for Obama winning the election? These are the kind of people that want to secede, mentally unstable and avid Faux News loyalists. I say the US makes a penal colony and deports all the crazy extremists.
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2012-11-13 at 01:29 PM.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    I want you liberals to look at the list of all the 27 states that have started a petitioned to secede.It is where the countries food and oil come from. You need them more then they need you
    Texas has already reached the required 25k signatures S.C. and many more states are over half way there and it has been less then a week that the petition was started.
    You will ignore this at your own risk no other time in this country we have been so divided the Democrats have dismissed 48% of this country the part of the country that feed and provide power to the over populated takers of the big cities for to long have they lived off the backs of the hard working farmers and the oil men from the red states they demonize us as being backwards ignorant rednecks but im sure they will be come begging on their knees when they are hungry because they produce no food and or cold because they produce no oil
    I hope you are happy democrats this is the second time in America history that you have forced states to attempt to secede
    Nope, it is the right that has lost touch. The Vast majority of Americans are Centrists. What this means is they like the status quo, look at the election data.

Barack Obama 62,278,404 51% 332
    Mitt Romney 58,901,020 48% 206

Source Google

Now lets add the total votes.

131,144,000* people voted. What is the current population of eligible voters in America?

Current population: 311,591,917
    Eligible to Vote: 206,072,000
    Registered to vote: 146,311,000

Source: http://www.statisticbrain.com/voting-statistics/

Now lets think about who voted and why. In any in humanity there is a curve, on the Far right you have a small percent of people with some very radical ideas. The Majority of Republicans use to ignore these people. Same with the Left and the Democrats. However in the last 12 years the Republicans went from being the I Love America, Guns, God, Football and low taxes party. To something a little extreme. Mean while the left has remained exactly in the same place politically since the fall of the Soviet Union. This might get some liberals mad, but the left was a little too receptive to the Soviets. I was fully a Republican back then. However with the fall of the Soviets the Democrats gentle moved to the center on all policies with 3 notable exceptions. Civil Rights, Reproductive Rights, and Gun Control. Mean While the Republicans lost many of its leadership to old age and dementia, allowing a new Generation of people to take control. Many of these people came from 'the Moral Majority' an Extremest Right wing group which believed a Southern Baptist version of America. Most Americans do not want to live in a Theocracy but the Extreme Right wants one.

If Texas somehow did leave it would become a Theocratic Nation, it would not be a Democracy, or a Republic. (p.s. the US is a Federal Republic) Most Americans are aware that the Far Right does not want to live in a Federal Republic, they haven't want to live in one for the last hundred and fifty one years.

*these are not the numbers from Google added together but the numbers from the Statistics site.

Quote Originally Posted by Jshadow View Post
    So with Obama's victory, people had enough sh17, since they're expecting things to go down hill even more.
    US is falling apart.

Your thoughts?
    You see "people had enough", I see a bunch of sore losers who can't accept the results of democratic election.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Deleted
    How exactly is having the same president for another 4 years going to make things worse?

It's not Obama's fault, it's the Bank bubble bursting that lead us all down the shitter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually you are incorrect. the US military is 100% fully loyal to the Federal Government. In fact when the civil war happened in 1861 it was not the US military that joined the Confederacy, it was the State run Militias (today we call it the National Guard.) To this day the Marines have only lost one Battle in history, it was when the Virginia Marines attacked the US Marine Headquarters in Virginia. Not one US Marine Sided with the South, but the Marine Trained Virginian Militia joined the Virginian Military. (Virginia Military Institute is the college that was established for the Marines, they 100% joined the Confederacy.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Christan View Post
    i think we are over 58k now, out of the 25k needed by dec 9th, and it was only made 4 days ago now.
    it's become exceedingly popular in such a short amount of time.
    and mind you how many average people do you think even go to petitions.whitehouse.gov?
    https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...nment/BmdWCP8B

made nov. 9th, and it is at 60k now lol, i rechecked it.
    Still just a few pissed off people. If a true plebiscite were held on this issue in Texas instead of an internet petition, I have a feeling it'd fail by a huge huge margin. It's not like there's a "No" vote on that petition, and even if there were, people who want the status quo aren't likely to do anything about it unless they actually feel like the status quo is threatened.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    I love it!

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...erica/dmQl1bXL

Oh, that cracks me up.

Signed.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    I kind of found this interesting, seeing as people seem so upset about the current state of the US.

http://xkcd.com/1127/large/

Highest percentage of right wing extremists since Monroe!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    I love it!

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...erica/dmQl1bXL

Oh, that cracks me up.

Signed.
    It's funny, I didn't realize when folks were screaming 'love it or leave it' during Bush, they meant take the whole state with you.

I don't understand why these folks who want to split off from US don't join terrorist. Their reasons are different, but their demand to not be oppressed by America seems very similar. Both want to destroy America, both think America is going down a bad path, both think America is filled with the unworthy. Those who call for civil war, hate America...