Page 33 of 59 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    A move to states rights would be acceptable. If they can do it with weed and gay marriage why wouldnt important stuff work as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    Judging by all the 'Texas will be rich because of their oil' posts... I think they do know...

No one alive lived during the ranch wars, people should research those times before they fantasize about how great it would be if they were an independant nation that let business run unchecked.

---------- Post added 2012-11-13 at 06:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Yeah, it was 2000 and Bush lost by half a percent popular, but won by five electoral. Now that was a "close" election. Winning by three percent and over a hundred electoral? That's a clobbering. This Texas petition was probably started by some sore loser who couldn't even manage to put accurate information in it. Being so out of touch with reality is a big part of why they lost this election so badly to begin with.

330k-ish votes in select counties and states would have made the election swing the other way, that's far cry from a clobbering.

Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    A move to states rights would be acceptable. If they can do it with weed and gay marriage why wouldnt important stuff work as well?
    feds still have to set minimum standards, and states can exceed them. this applies directly on the gay marriage thing. the weed thing is still very much up in the air, it was more of a state level challenge to the law

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Oil is a big driver of industry and jobs. In the Houston area, it seems like the whole city either works in oil, or medical, or some support function necessary for a city to exist, but mostly oil and medical.
    They are going to secede, but keep all the social and tax policy they have now? I am under the assumption that the tax on oil companies will be gone, so will be social institutions like welfare, minimum wage, social security, medicare and everything down the line will go private or be gone. Otherwise, I don't understand the point to secede and continue as if you didn't...

10+ Year Old Account
    They are going to secede, but keep all the social and tax policy they have now? I am under the assumption that the tax on oil companies will be gone, so will be social institutions like welfare, minimum wage, social security, medicare and everything down the line will go private or be gone. Otherwise, I don't understand the point to secede and continue as if you didn't...
    /facepalm...Conservatives don't want to get rid of all social programs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ever heard the phrase "you can't have your cake and eat it too."? From an outside stand point this whole thing is ridiculous. If you don't like something about your country go cry me a river. Nothing is perfect. But don't try and take the states with you when you try and leave. Just get the hell out of the country you lazy pricks. But they won't, none of these signers will leave the country because that would be to much work. But signing a petition that takes 30 seconds that's easy. The petitions are nothing to worry about. Nothing significant will be accomplished from them. And I promise you the federal government will never allow any state to secede from the U.S.

I think it's interesting that a lot of this echoes the crap we saw 4 years ago when Obama was elected in the first place. Yet, with all the cries of his supreme rule, there is no evidence of it in 4 years. I can understand not being happy with how quick the recovery has come, but this authoritarian view of Obama has gained little to any traction in 4 years of evidence. I would think that in 4 years we would have something more substantial.
    Go to cesspools like RedState and you'll see that they think they have many, many, many examples of what you just talked about.

Seriously--they think Obama just stole the election too and are trying to fight to have the results overturned.

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    feds still have to set minimum standards, and states can exceed them. this applies directly on the gay marriage thing. the weed thing is still very much up in the air, it was more of a state level challenge to the law
    It does create a potential legal opening. They have left weed alone in cali, i dont think they will enforce it in other states.

If texas moved to an alaskan system with the fair tax everyone would make a base of like 25k just for living there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
    Go to cesspools like RedState and you'll see that they think they have many, many, many examples of what you just talked about.

Seriously--they think Obama just stole the election too and are trying to fight to have the results overturned.
    I was wondering about the counties in Ohio with more registered voters than eligible voters. Is it a case of old voter rolls that need to be updated?

10+ Year Old Account
    The racists should just settle down and accept Democracy in action.

The alternative is the US Army cutting a scorched mark from Dallas to Houston.
    @Ghostcrawler:Some advice: [My pet issue] is why there were sub losses is one of the weaker arguments players use. Players don't have that data.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vastx View Post
    /facepalm...Conservatives don't want to get rid of all social programs.
    Really? What social programs do they want to cut? Romney wanted to cut FEMA, before Sandy. Conservatives lobby against government healthcare, welfare and want cuts to education. Paul Ryan pushed for a switch to a voucher form on Social Security during Bush and to give a privatized option to Medicare. Conservative government in Arizona, brought us privatized prisons... How am I wrong exactly?

You don't actually think Texas gets to keep social security and medicare that US provides, after seceding? You think they will not privatize everything they can and stick to our current system? Why secede?

---------- Post added 2012-11-13 at 07:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by vastx View Post
    I was wondering about the counties in Ohio with more registered voters than eligible voters. Is it a case of old voter rolls that need to be updated?
    Now, make something up about Florida. Obama didn't need Ohio to win, so you have got to make up voter fraud in at least 3 states.

Now, make something up about Florida. Obama didn't need Ohio to win, so you have got to make up voter fraud in at least 3 states.
    You have to admit the numbers dont match. No need to change topics, ohio had more voters than registered voters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    You have to admit the numbers dont match. No need to change topics, ohio had more voters than registered voters.
    No I don't, I have no clue what either of you are talking about. As far as I can tell, as in just his post, it's made up.

Many are missing the point. This petition is represented as the state government, when it is actually random citizens of the state. Any US citizen can start a petition on the whitehouse.gov site.

To the person that said that the illegality of succession was somehow equivalent to smoking pot... the argument is fallacious, to make smoking pot legal there was a lot of stuff that went into it. To the point where they had to put it on a general ballot. The white house petition isn't the path to succession... you would have to pass through the houses, and have the supreme court have a go.

The country is indeed falling apart, if you can not see this then you may be watching too much MSNBC. Any informed american already knows that this country is not doing too well, not solely due to Obama, but he doesn't help either. Play the blame game all you want by blaming (insert X political party/person that destroyed america) whomever you want but in the end it will not matter, we are a nation that is divided by VERY different paths for the future.
    Last edited by matters; 2012-11-13 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jbtuck View Post
    To the person that said that the illegality of succession was somehow equivalent to smoking pot... the argument is fallacious, to make smoking pot legal there was a lot of stuff that went into it. To the point where they had to put it on a general ballot.
    Isnt the petition to get it on the ballot? Isnt that how things get on the ballot?

State rights are just that, allowing them to ignore federal law opens up a loophole.

I'm not seeing any news about voting counts in ohio.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Do we have to? Can't we just let them go and tell them to take the rest of the South with them?
    Not to be a jerk or seem out of place but that's a good idea. I mean, I live in Memphis ( about to move to Beaumont Texas oh shit) and I would love to go to the north and just let the south go. Bunch of whiners the lot of them "Ugh I hate Obama for no other reason than his skin color" (that's a direct quote btw).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matters View Post
    The country is indeed falling apart, if you can not see this then you may be watching too much MSNBC. Any informed american already knows that this country is not doing too well, not solely due to Obama, but he doesn't help either. Play the blame game all you want by blaming (insert X political party/person that destroyed america) whomever you want but in the end it will not matter, we are a nation divided.
    I bet it had a lot less to do with what TV network people watch than how they are actually doing. If watching a network lead to any side, Fox news would have lead to republican dominance. But, as these elections should have been clear, watching what networks push has little to do with individual's lives. The only people upset or think US is falling apart, are those who rode the Fox news polling prior to elections. Ignoring Nate Silver because of his bias New York Times employer...

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I'm not seeing any news about voting counts in ohio.
    The news doesnt report negative democratic issues. Fox does, but you would rather touch fire than watch that

"Ugh I hate Obama for no other reason than his skin color"

It does balance it out, how many people voted for obama based on his skin color? Racism works both ways.
    Last edited by chadwix; 2012-11-13 at 07:30 PM.