Thread: Welfare Epics

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    I love how people always go to this retort lol. You obviously never played Vanilla, or ever raided during that time. People learn to play pretty quickly, and back then, most of the players playing this game were die hard Everquest fans who most certainly knew how MMOs work. So to say "the only hard part about vanilla was getting 40 players together" and "most people had no clue how to play the game" is just plain wrong.
    And You obviously never played everquest if you think Vanilla was hard.

wow has always had "welfare epics" compared to many other mmo's.

*to add i have no problems with what gear others get dose not matter if its purple/blue/green/gray/orange or whatever.

And like many others have said all you needed for most raids was 15-20 people who knew what they where doing.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Well its not hard since the very last patch in classic wow (the warlord gear became easy to buy, well, easier) at least if you consider pvp gear. Some say you could go afk in raids and get loot well, all i can say is lol or you were REALLY lucky your guild mates were crazy. When i started doing MC (tier 1 still had placeholder skins) to think of being afk in a raid would be your end in any guild in the time period. It was a true fight to get in the good guilds that could raid unless of course you wanted to do UBRS as top end content. Also someone mentioned zulfarrak epic, well, lucky you because that thing was rare. Boes epics in general were also a trouble. Staff of dominance would go for the price of the mount so you would basically have to choose your epic mount or an epic item if you werent raiding hard. The dungeon 0.5 they put later in game was a joke in the sense the quest was insanely long and you couldn't do the timed things unless you got very geared people to take you there. Was common in my realm (warsong) to see people offering tons of gold to have players with top gear to go there (strath) with them otherwise the chances were pretty thin. Quest only gets worse after that as well.

Now, back in the topic, I am not saying I think it should be like that. Current model is fine to me, those were diferent times.
    Last edited by Nefastus; 2012-11-12 at 06:15 PM.
    English is not my main language so grammar errors might happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love how people always go to this retort lol. You obviously never played Vanilla, or ever raided during that time. People learn to play pretty quickly, and back then, most of the players playing this game were die hard Everquest fans who most certainly knew how MMOs work. So to say "the only hard part about vanilla was getting 40 players together" and "most people had no clue how to play the game" is just plain wrong.
    Not only did I play in "Vanilla", I tanked Molten Core as a Druid. It was never "hard", it was just time consuming.
    Last edited by Kujako; 2012-11-12 at 06:38 PM.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FlacidGladiator View Post
    You mean like having others in your guild carry you and give you drops to gear you up... Such an extra-ordinary feat. Repeat wiping on the same boss over and over till you finally figure out his built-in weakness or work-around put in there by Blizzard for you to defeat the boss as INTENDED.... truly epic! Rolling on drops after the boss is defeated and getting the high number... MASTER OF THE F*'IN UNIVERSE YOU ARE! Yeah, gear snobbery is just never gonna die in this game nor will we run out of faux elitists.
    ^ Win

OT : Gear is gear, screw it's color. If you are mad because a guy has the same gear as you but put in half the effort i would argee with you but you seem to be upset because some guy has gear the same item COLOR as yours. If this isnt stupid i dont know what is.

LFR gear is 6-15ish item levels below normal raids, LFR will not be higher in item level than heroic gear of the past tier, in later tiers LFR gear will only be used by players who can only raid with pugs be it with LFR or in a random group that may not get far.

Your Heroic tier 14 gear will be better than LFR tier 15 and more than likely on par with LFR tier 16. Thats means you will be 2 full tiers ahead of LFR raiders, and you want to complain about a color?

They need to make normal/heroic gear color white....

Snowflake White.

"Humility defeats pride, Master Yang has preached. Pride defeats man"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    And You obviously never played everquest if you think Vanilla was hard.
    Amen.

WoW simply wasn't designed to be that hardcore. Blizzard wants players to put some effort in to get their gear, not camp avatars 24/7.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    You do realize you just flip-flopped your original standing, agreed with me, and then tried to question my statement(to which you had just agreed with)? What in the blue hell...
    The point you obviously failed to find in my post was that not everyone is being carried. All 10 people are usually necessary to bring down a boss, same for 25 man. So your logic about people being carried to welfare epics while raiding is complete bunk.

I don't see why people care if someone who "isn't as good" (which could in some cases mean they just have less available time) as them gets the same color lettering on the name of the item they are wearing. Seriously you can tell the difference between someone who is extremely good and someone who just plays LFR. And if you think it's a bad thing that they get to have the same color as you than maybe you care too much? My 2 cents on that.
    Regen#1804 need NA overwatch friends.

10+ Year Old Account
    The point you obviously failed to find in my post was that not everyone is being carried. All 10 people are usually necessary to bring down a boss, same for 25 man. So your logic about people being carried to welfare epics while raiding is complete bunk.
    We all know it happens, Jay. It's bunk trying to deny it.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Quote Originally Posted by Sillicis View Post
    Vanilla says hi.
    The only thing hard about Vanilla epics was RNG and bigger raids, 40 people, 3 drops per boss. Epics were rarer in Vanilla because less then 5% of the population actually raided, not because they were hard to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Condemner View Post
    What they could do to get everyones epeen going, is give all difficulty's a different colour of gear. Say, lfr is light blue, normalmode is purple and hcmode is red. everyone happy?
    Or they can put "Raid Finder" under the name of gear that's obtained from LFR and they can put "Heroic" under gear that's obtained from Heroic dungeons. Normal can stay the same.

Deleted
    I think the color of the name of my gear should clearly state that MY little mister happy is not quite as little as yours

In the current state of the game, do you believe it is too easy to obtain epic quality gear? I mean, simply grinding conquest and valor rewards players with epic gear. Mindless, boring grinding.

Do you believe that epic items should only be earned from doing extraordinary things in the game? Like kill raid bosses on normal or greater difficulty? From high arena ratings? Etc?

Do you think LFR brought a whole new meaning to the phrase Welfare Epics? Furthermore, why have epic items if they are not going to be used to defeat greater challenges?

Just some questions to think about.
    Is that what you conjured up from my post? That I dislike LFR? I never mentioned LFR at all. Stop the blind hate please.
    I think I may have missed something here. Did you or did you not mention LFR?
    Quote Originally Posted by Domiku View Post
    p.s. i want to see Sylvanas take a pounding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Olianda View Post
    This could NEVER be taken the wrong way. ._.

Wow should institute the old eq style of races... none of this instance crap. One guild on each server gets the kill raid each week... and you race to see who gets there first. oh and if the server crashes expect a call at 3am to get up and get to TOV. Im still sleepy from that stuff.

But seriously. Do people really care about this? Who cares what other people do/have If you are having fun? And if you arnt having fun why log into the game?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjumnito View Post
    I think I may have missed something here. Did you or did you not mention LFR?
    Thanks for this one Mjumnito, it made my day!

http://i.imgur.com/eyoDw.jpg
    "... I don't want you to play me a riff that's going to impress Joe Satriani; give me a riff that makes a kid want to go out and buy a guitar and learn to play ..." - Ozzy Osbourne

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Idd - ever since epics dropped in Classic as low as lv 40, was BoE and even in MC you had BoE Tier pieces. My first epic lv 60 item was the staff from the Defilers, obtained at exhalted. You know what that was, Jaylock? Boring Mindless BG-grinding....
    Let's just keep quoting this until it is acknowledged.

Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post
    Let's just keep quoting this until it is acknowledged.
    That's how you get it done!
    Regen#1804 need NA overwatch friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Briga View Post
    Molten Core with half the raid /afk also says hi
    molten core being a small percentage of the total raids also says hi

Deleted
    Welfare is really not a word I'd use as derogatory. Still, it depends on what you consider easy. While doing daily quests is relatively uncomplicated and straight-forward, it is also incredibly dull and laborious. Dailies have always been something I've detested about WoW and MMOs in general (Argents was tolerable because there were so many mounts and nice tabards to look forward to).

I'd consider earning epics exclusively from tough 5-mans like the Zandalari dungeons before the nerfs to be "easier" than dailies, just because I find a challenge more engaging and tolerable than repetitive quests repeated daily for several weeks. Boring tasks are called a "chore" for a reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Idd - ever since epics dropped in Classic as low as lv 40, was BoE and even in MC you had BoE Tier pieces. My first epic lv 60 item was the staff from the Defilers, obtained at exhalted. You know what that was, Jaylock? Boring Mindless BG-grinding....
    So Blizzard forced you to do a "boring mindless BG grind" to get an epic? That was one of the ways to obtain a legendary item. Let me say that again, that was one of the ways to obtain a legendary item. ONE.

People were PvPing back then because they enjoyed *GASP* PvP. They also wanted to climb the ladder PvP rankings to become Grand Marshal. There are no more rankings like that anymore with BGs unless you want to do their sensational RBGs.

Why try to bring up this lame argument just to derail the thread and cause unneeded drama?

---------- Post added 2012-11-12 at 07:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Baiyn View Post
    Welfare is really not a word I'd use as derogatory. Still, it depends on what you consider easy. While doing daily quests is relatively uncomplicated and straight-forward, it is also incredibly dull and laborious. Dailies have always been something I've detested about WoW and MMOs in general (Argents was tolerable because there were so many mounts and nice tabards to look forward to).

I'd consider earning epics exclusively from tough 5-mans like the Zandalari dungeons before the nerfs to be "easier" than dailies, just because I find a challenge more engaging and tolerable than repetitive quests repeated daily for several weeks. Boring tasks are called a "chore" for a reason.
    I agree with everything you said here.

10+ Year Old Account
    People care about other peoples activities/achievements/gear that in no way even influences their own game, there is an easy description for such behaviour:

AMAZINGLY STUPID!