Poll: Would you like to know when and how you'll die?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Would you like to know the day you die?

Simple question.

A hooded person comes to you. It tells you they know the day when you'll die, and they'll tell it to you if you want. They also know that many people think they're lunatics, so they give you an envelope with a piece of paper in it and another smaller envelope. The first envelope contains the date on which a known actor/politician/something dies of natural causes or a disease, the exact date, hour, minute and second they die. There is also a small paper telling you to open the other envelope if you wish to know when your time is up and how will you die, and that, no matter what you do, you can't change that moment, in fact, the popular person whose death is written as a proof already knew when he/she will die, and he/she tried everything to escape it, but he/she still died in same moment.

One month from when you are given the envelope, the famous person dies. At exactly the same day, hour, minute and second, in the exact events written in the letter. Now you know the mysterious figure was telling the truth.

Would you open the envelope to find out when you'll die? Remember, even knowing it, you can't change when or how, no matter what you try, it will happen exactly as written. For example, if you try to commit suicide before just to break the chain or something, some police officer saves you or you don't die by a miracle landing in a garbage truck or something.

Would you want to know when and how you'll die?

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Yes that way I can try to accomplish everything I want before that date. Oh crap I answered before reading OP again, if its another fortuneteller "youll die soon crap" no I would not.

Ok now I read it, I would open the envelope!
    Last edited by Vizardlorde; 2012-11-13 at 11:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Deleted
    Hm... I'm picking not to open the letter.

Also, since you said you couldn't change your death, if you opened the envelope, and I tried to kill me before that, it wouldn't work, correct?

If so, then I think I would open the letter, go to war, get immune to death, and help everyone and everything. Is that okay?

But really, I wouldn't open the envelop regardless of all that, knowing when I will die is something I don't want, knowing the future, is something I don't want.

Ignorance is bliss. So no, I wouldn't want to know how and when I die.

Of course I would. I have goals in life and would like to know whether or not I'll be able to complete them all. Might even re-prioritize them based on what's feasible (eg. "Go skydiving" would trump "Start a successful multimillion dollar business" if I were going to die in 6 months).

---------- Post added 2012-11-13 at 11:32 PM ----------

Also, this is what option #2 looks like.

http://www.smbc-comics.com/

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather not know the day I die. It would screw up future endeavors for me.

If the envelope is true, you have basically invincibility from death until that moment, however, you could still end up in a coma. I'm actually not sure what i would do, it is one of those things where it would depend on what I feel like at the time.

Rather not. I am not Ed Bloom, although I have to admit his take on the issue was comprehensible.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Also, this is what option #2 looks like.

http://www.smbc-comics.com/
    Nah, the events that lead to your salvation are more belivable. If you turn oil on yourself and light a match there happens to be a fire squad car around that stops you from dieing, but you still get the burns and go to hospital and may even sit there until the day written when a chain of events make you go out and die just as told.

---------- Post added 2012-11-14 at 01:39 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Xalzel View Post
    If the envelope is true, you have basically invincibility from death until that moment, however, you could still end up in a coma. I'm actually not sure what i would do, it is one of those things where it would depend on what I feel like at the time.
    Exactly. You can't die, but it doesn't mean you can't be hurt if you try something just to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Of course I would. I have goals in life and would like to know whether or not I'll be able to complete them all. Might even re-prioritize them based on what's feasible (eg. "Go skydiving" would trump "Start a successful multimillion dollar business" if I were going to die in 6 months).
    Ya but if the card said you would die in 6 months, then you would spend the next 6 months stressing over how you will complete all your life goals. That would happen to me anyways, which is why I wouldn't open it. I would rather continue living my life as if I were to die of old age and then if something happens to me, it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Togarox View Post
    Ya but if the card said you would die in 6 months, then you would spend the next 6 months stressing over how you will complete all your life goals. That would happen to me anyways, which is why I wouldn't open it. I would rather continue living my life as if I were to die of old age and then if something happens to me, it happens.
    That's why I'd like to know if I should prioritize what's feasible rather than risk not accomplishing anything.

Yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh hell no.

I'd burn the letter. I'd much rather be surprised, otherwise I'd be dreading that inevitable day. At least if I'm in the dark, I can pretend I can do something to avoid it.
    Putin khuliyo

Yes

that way i can do everything in my power to cheat fate

i die by getting run over by a bus i will avoid roads during the duration of the day

and i laugh at the grim reaper

10+ Year Old Account
    Mid-Michigan (Originally Victoria, Australia)
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Also, since you said you couldn't change your death, if you opened the envelope, and I tried to kill me before that, it wouldn't work, correct?

If so, then I think I would open the letter, go to war, get immune to death, and help everyone and everything. Is that okay?
    There's nothing to say you wouldn't get caught by the opposing team, tortured and held as a POW. ;P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Combooticus View Post
    Yes

that way i can do everything in my power to cheat fate

i die by getting run over by a bus i will avoid roads during the duration of the day

and i laugh at the grim reaper
    A bus driver will fall asleep at the wheel and enter your house.

You live at 7th floor? The Mythbusters will be trying to blow up a bus to see if it can fly like in a movie. It can. Into your house at 7th floor.

Are you in a bunker underground? An earthquacke will make the earth crack and a bus will slip through the crack into your bunker.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mid-Michigan (Originally Victoria, Australia)
    Also on topic, I'd like to know, but I wouldn't keep it to myself. But I also wouldn't tell everyone/act like I'm invincible. I'd tell the people I care about and show them the proof and prepare them and myself.

Deleted
    What if I die because I cut my finger on the envelope get in shock upon reading the time of death, then trip over the carpet in such a way that I die?

But if I'd instead throw the envelope away, that would still change the way I die, so basically what's in the envelope depends on what you do with it.

I see less risk in throwing it away in the safest manner, but I guess I'd just open it in the safest manner

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryken View Post
    There's nothing to say you wouldn't get caught by the opposing team, tortured and held as a POW. ;P
    No idea of what POW means, but yeah, you can't die but that doesn't change the fact that you can still feel pain, I think, so torture would be a pain in the ass. xD

Yes, then I'll make sure that I'll be on some epic place in nature around the time it is supposed to happen, overlooking a waterfall or cliff or something like that, with the wind blowing around me, waiting for the moment to come. (Ofcourse not too close to the edge, it would be kind of un-epic to slip, fall and die)
    Originally Posted by Bashiok (Blue Tracker)
    Psshhh. Like I would actually bother reading a thread.