Poll: What's your opinion on an appropriate drinking age?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Your thoughts on an appropriate drinking age?

What're your guys thoughts on an appropriate age for legal consumption of alcohol? Having lived both in the US (21+) and Denmark (16+) I feel like there are conflicting ideas and studies arguing for and against a very high age limit :P

Quote Originally Posted by Aftonflickan View Post
    What're your guys thoughts on an appropriate age for legal consumption of alcohol? Having lived both in the US (21+) and Denmark (16+) I feel like there are conflicting ideas and studies arguing for and against a very high age limit :P
    I won't put a vote, since it's very difficult to answer.
    Alcohol hampers the development of a developing brain, so from a biological perspective, you shouldn't drink (much) until your 30th year. However, small amounts of alcohol don't do that much harm.
    In the NL, the minimum age for 'soft' alcoholic drinks is 16. For the stronger stuff, you have to be 18. But the minimum age isn't only there because of the harmful effects of alcohol; it's there because, at 18, you're assumed mature enough to be able to make such decisions on your own. You can vote, you're allowed to get a driver's licence, you're allowed to marry, so you're pretty much allowed to decide how much you want to drink, as well.

In my opinion, drinking should be regulated, and nobody should ever be allowed to drink much. Personally, if you've had too much to drive, you've had too much, period. So not a regulation in the minimum age, but a regulation in the amount of alcohol consumed.

18+ I'd say. If you can join the military, get shipped off to some warzone thousands of miles away in the middle of nowhere, and die for your country at 18, you should be able to drink a damn beer if you want.

Deleted
    I'm gonna go with 21+ because that's the highest the poll gives. As Stir said, alcohol is not great for a developing brain and teenagers (16-19) who are allowed to drink alcohol in certain countries overdo it most of the times to the point where they get really drunk and throw up. And this is coming from experience because I have friends who do just that nearly every weekend (I don't).

However, Stir's final thoughts on the amount consumed to be regulated seems like a good solution, although that begs the question...How will you regulate such a thing?

It's funny. Here in the states it's +21, in other countries it ranges from 16-18 to no limit, yet we have the worst percentage for drunk driving. Therefore I believe its not the age but the amount of intelligence and common sense people have in its region

Deleted
    16+ Beers and wines, 18+ everything else.

Deleted
    18+ seems fair, by that age you can vote and go to war, it seems only fair to let them drink.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you take a look at alcohol abuse in US (21+) and Canada (19+) and compare it with abuse in EU where in many places there is no drinking age, or it is a very low one.... North Americans want what they can't have, and use it as an excuse to be idiots.

I don't think there should be an age requirement.
    Last edited by Vinho; 2012-11-22 at 06:08 PM.
    "The Maw's thirst is unquenchable. If it is not fed fresh victims, it will not hesitate to drink from its wielder instead."

i voted only parental consent required, but thats asuming the parents have a brain.

Deleted
    Public drinking should be allowed according to IQ.

in Denmark 12+

atleast thats when i started, along with a lot of my friends.

Hell, i even know someone who give beer to their 7 years old boy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinho View Post
    If you take a look at alcohol abuse in US (21+) and Canada (19+) and compare it with abuse in EU where in many places there is no drinking age, or it is a very low one.... North Americans want what they can't have, and use it as an excuse to be idiots.

I don't think there should be an age requirement.
    this. i dont have like specific numbers but ive often heard similar sayings. Our European friends seem to do better because they grow up with it. us in the states abuse it because its forbidden. yet our 18 yr old boys and girls can die for this country without ever being legally allowed to drink. removing silly age restrictions might reduce the number of people that over consume thinking they have to drink every drop in the country during the precious 3 hours they have to sneak it before an adult comes along and ruins their fun.

its no fun if its legal :P
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

I think you're still too immature at 21 to be trusted with alcohol.

People will get it anyway, though. Better to let them start before they can drive so they get the whole "WOOO ALCOHOL IS AWESOME" thing out of their system before they're put in charge of 2 tons of metal hurtling at 100 kph.

Deleted
    16+ in belgium but someone of 14y could order a beer and drink it in public,no1 would care lol.

Deleted
    21+ is the highest?

A swedes mentality at the age of 21 is the same that was at 15.

Parental consent seems like the best option to me. Your parents should be able to tell whether or not you're able to handle drinking.

Deleted
    18+ in Portugal. Beyond 18, we can:
    -get a driver's license;
    -vote;
    -officially reach adulthood;
    -marry;
    -apply for university studies;
    -buy cigarettes for personal consumption;
    -join the military;
    -start a working career in public institutions.

However, the exception is our drinking age; 16.

As far as if one is "mature" enough to handle drinking, there is no realistic set age since everyone matures at a different rate, etc. But anyway, if you're old enough to vote and all that, then I think you're old enough to drink.

That being said, I was drinking well before the legal age here in the US.

We should just impose a prohibition on alcohol altogether. That sounds like a good idea.

15+ Year Old Account
    Let's be honest... Kids are going to drink. They'll want to drink even more if they see it as rebelling. You're better off abolishing the drinking age and making it less appealing to that crowd.

16 for buying.