Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Hypothetically removing one spec from pure classes and added a tank/healing spec?

Alright hypothetically speaking and basically because I'm bored at work on a Friday, if blizzard removed one of the pure dps specs and added a tank or healing spec, how would you like to see it shake down?

Hunters
    BM - I think would make a decent tanking spec. Give them abilities to keep the pet alive longer and increase threat

Warlocks
    Demonology - Should be a tanking spec but unlike hunters and pets, I think they should turn into demons and lose their pet (merge with their pet basically)

Mages
    Arcane - Could become a healer and run their mana rollacoster but with heals (certain heals being extremely low mana and others being more efficient with the more mana you have)

Rogues
    Sub - Healer, make them have to stealth and unstealth throughout a fight in order to access different abilities. Have abilities more like a medic and use different bandages.

Not that I hate these specs or even want to see the end of pure class, but hypothetically speaking, what would you find interesting.

Those classes should never become tanks/healers.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by phillipisawarlock View Post
    Those classes should never become tanks/healers.
    True, it would probably be horrible.

I'd love to see a ranged rogue if I really have to change anything.

Primarily, my favorite idea for this would be the following changes to mages:

Change Arcane from a focus on Arcane damaging magic to Arcane chromagic. Healing spec that uses a manipulation of time to 'reverse' damage.

Just like you, though, this is purely an exercise in speculation, and not actually something I'd want to happen...

Quote Originally Posted by dryankem View Post
    True, it would probably be horrible.

I'd love to see a ranged rogue if I really have to change anything.
    How would a "ranged rogue" even work?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    Rogues should get a bard spec for healing

10+ Year Old Account
    Easy, hunter weapon, builds combo points with ranged abilities and make some finishers ranged. They would need an entire array of new abilities but I'm not concerned about how it would work, just what would be interesting.

Also the warlock tank would be cool. Turn yourself into a demon and tank. Would be the first intellect tank.

Deleted
    With a bow of course.
    Nothing new and has been done in many RPGs before.

For Hunters, well Surival would be more suited for a tanking spec, the name implies it^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    Primarily, my favorite idea for this would be the following changes to mages:

Change Arcane from a focus on Arcane damaging magic to Arcane chromagic. Healing spec that uses a manipulation of time to 'reverse' damage.

Just like you, though, this is purely an exercise in speculation, and not actually something I'd want to happen...
    Very interesting idea. And it is just purely an exercise in speculation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    Rogues should get a bard spec for healing
    That would be the one thing they could do to rogues that would actually make me roll one. I've never had and will never have any desire to roll a rogue otherwise. Bards though...I love bards!

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the idea of the Warlock tank. Always been a fan of this. Turning Rogues into Bards would be fun in theory but would require a LOT of class changes, which would be kinda odd. Hunters should get a melee spec, that'd be fun. For mages, I've always wanted to play a Battle-Mage. Like, sword in one hand staff in the other, meleeing. I picture them using ground runes to buff allies, or something.

gunslinger spec:

• wears one-handed daggers, maces, fists or swords, but doesn't use them in combat (stat sticks-only, like staves for mages);
    • uses handguns instead of poisons. each poison has a gun that does about the same, except that they do fire damage instead of nature damage;
    • uses energy and combo points like every rogue;
    • poor mobility;
    • special skill: "Freeze!" - can only be used while stealthed. the target cannot move or act, but he can see you in stealth during freeze. it's channeled, so you can't look away from the target or use other skills. the first hit the target takes from you after this has it's damage increased by X%. the target keeps his hands for the duration of the skill;
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Deleted
    A gun is not the thing that comes into my mind when i think of a silent stealthed weapon

Combat just needs a few passives for it to be a tank spec. A makeover of Recup (which we need anyways) would make it even better. Just give BF to all specs (and revamp it so it's viable for Mut) and most Rogues won't be sad about losing their DPS cleave spec. I doubt anyone finds the current rotation engaging.

A Bard spec would be sick, but it doesn't really fit the current WoW Rogue. Sure they could do it, but it would be weird. It would take a ton more work to do that than to turn Combat into a tank spec too. I played a Bard in FFXI and Rift. They were way fun in those games.

Arcane healing would be sick as hell. It's another spec few Mages will miss. Boring as hell.

EDIT: Ranged Rogue would be silly. I enjoy the Gunslinger archetype, but honestly Fire Mage plays a lot like a Gunslinger anyways.
    Last edited by Squirl; 2012-11-23 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Talime View Post
    A gun is not the thing that comes into my mind when i think of a silent stealthed weapon
    a rogue is not a silent stealthed weapon. a rogue is a rogue. a thief, a bandit, a spy.

spies uses guns. thieves and bandits usually have guns unless they are poor (than they use knives lol)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Talime View Post
    I lol'ed quite hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeonde View Post
    I like the idea of the Warlock tank. Always been a fan of this. Turning Rogues into Bards would be fun in theory but would require a LOT of class changes, which would be kinda odd. Hunters should get a melee spec, that'd be fun. For mages, I've always wanted to play a Battle-Mage. Like, sword in one hand staff in the other, meleeing. I picture them using ground runes to buff allies, or something.
    Battle-Mage = Enhance Shaman.

I've thought about this a lot. I don't think it should really happen in WoW as it is now. It would be too drastic of a change. It would push away a lot of players and would cause more problems than we can probably even fathom.

But, it's fun to think about it.

I never thought about rogues getting a healing specc, though. The medic idea sounds neat, but I would lean more towards bard, as otherwise suggested. Though I'd like a bard class period.

Other than that, our other ideas were the same. BM and demo should turn into tank speccs, arcane being a healer specc.

I had these conversations with a friend awhile ago. Turned into us analyzing all the kind of gear changes overall to the game, how warlocks would use gear for tanking, whether it would be like feral tanking used to be (long long time ago), where they just pretended there was tanking gear but still made them use tanking frills and trinkets, or if it wouldn't be OP to make int a defensive stat, or how weak their attacks would have to be in order to not demolish literally anyone in PvP, etc.

Demon warlock tank sounds really cool
    "DPS is science, healing is art, tanking is strategy."

Quote Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
    EDIT: Ranged Rogue would be silly. I enjoy the Gunslinger archetype, but honestly Fire Mage plays a lot like a Gunslinger anyways.
    from a gameplay PoV, maybe. but from a lore/RP PoV, never.

IMHO the fact that rogues can't use guns hurts my common sense. how come a thief/spy/bandit can't use a gun?

(by use I mean USE it, not just "equip and suck")