Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    No one bats an eye because its a benign cultural practice.
    I'd be careful about calling it "benign".

Yes lets explore the difference between barbaric sexist social practices and random criminal acts.
    How common is either occurrence in the western world?

I personally do not support either or any group that advocates rights for a select few. If you believe in fairness, equality, and rights for all then one nor the other holds sway. Your vision would not be to conquer your opposition but to ensure they too get what they deserve and vigilantly stand guard for all.

We, as a nation, and as a global community, have become obsessed with fighting pointless small-scale battles while ignoring larger, more ominous problems coming over the horizon. Our governments have grown corrupt and power-hungry, utilizing the good will of the people to control and turn them against each other. We've forgotten what the concept of charity and unity under a common cause is while we essentially, out of little more than spite at times, steal from one another through law itself. We're literally consuming ourselves in a growing vicious cycle of debt, increased domestic "protection", and social imprisonment whether it be leftist or rightist in origin. Why? Because it empowers those with power while dividing us into fractional interest groups.

No, no. I'm afraid these groups are nothing more than a diversion from the real problems we face and they're deeply rooted in centuries of propaganda and fear. Most people today don't even know what real freedom is, it's like this elusive, troubling thought process that can never build itself into a fully coalesced ideal. Until people let go of their petty squabbling and inability to see beyond their own immediate concerns, we won't be getting anywhere--in fact we'll just be going backwards more and more.

Sorry, just had to put my own two-cents into the argument.
    German science is the greatest in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    I have never heard of that being regarded as humorous outside of other men laughing at it because the person it happened to was a piece of shit that had it coming. Not once have I seen a woman offering the notion of cutting off a man's genitals as a joke.
    Well then you should probably watch this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    No actually the strict comparison is how a guy getting his dick cut off is "hilarious" while FGM is abhorrent.
    So, man don't like horror movies? Dicks is where we draw the line on dismemberment?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aciaedius View Post
    Basically, I've seen both good and bad people call themselves feminists because there's always rotten eggs in a basket. I've yet to see a single person saying they "stand by the men's rights movement" who actually seems to give a damn about bringing equality when it doesn't help them up on a soapbox. Because if they actually cared, they'd stop treating feminists like enemies based on some vague strawman image and actually work with them instead of against them.
    There's people like that in both camps, it's why most of us have gone to calling ourselves Egalitarian, which is a mixture of both genders wanting to work together.

Looking at the issues that were brought up on International Men's Day in the UK, I wouldn't say they were trivial at all. Over here male/female suicide ratio is 3:1. Men are 70% more likely to die from cancers affecting both genders, and make up less than 10% of the number of people being screened for cancer. Male mortality is roughly between 4-10 years earlier than that of women on average.

70% of violent crime happens against men, more men are incarcerated, homeless and jobless than women.

Yes a good amount of the blame is male against male, but there are women who go against the ideals of feminism. There are women who believe firmly in the housewife and mother role, there are women who will use sex as a means to get advantage or favour, there are women who think a guy should always pay on dates.

At the same time there are women who expect their men to be tough, to hold a strong silence instead of showing weakness. There are women who judge men not by their personality or even their looks (sexual objectification for both genders folks) but by their annual income and bank balance size. There are men who need to change their perceptions on both genders to move forward as a society and there are women who must do the same.

I'm just thankful people stopped wearing t-shirts that said "Boys are stupid, throw rocks at them!" I mean can you imagine the outcry of a t-shirt that said "Woman is dumb? Slap her!"
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

In practical terms? It is.
    How common is either occurrence in the western world?
    Moving posts ho! You were the one who compared a random criminal act to a social practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Maybe it's because the electorate would vote for who they feel would be in their best interest?

---------- Post added 2012-11-23 at 09:43 PM ----------

It's not relevant at all, actually.

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/11/06/496...oll-shows.html

The electorate is 53-47% female to male for 2012.
    and? what about when all the "male oppression" laws were being made? it also doesnt change the fact that men gave women the right to even be a part of the electorate.
    Last edited by starlord; 2012-11-24 at 03:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright, sure. Lets instead call it, a beneficial procedure with absolutely minimal side effects, with the only discernible drawback being men closing their legs at the thought of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Laize

And those women are sexist idiots. I don't expect that from every feminist. Do you? If so, why?

Isn't it about time we stop having equal rights movements for certain genders/ethnic groups and instead just have equal rights movements for everyone? The longer we continue to view everyone separately the longer this will go on.

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    and? what about when all the "male oppression" laws were being made?
    Yeah, I can't even follow a word you're saying anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not a strict comparison. No one even bats an eye when they hear about a baby boy being circumcised despite it, objectively, being mutilation.
    As a circumcised male who's actually bothered to read the numbers....

According to the last study I can remember, the difference between the circumcised and uncircumcised male's ability to become aroused and perform sexually was <5%, within the margin of error for the study.

Circumcision is indeed an unnecessary practice, but it is a FAR cry from FGM, which goes as far as sewing the vagina shut and cutting a new, smaller hole into the woman, in order to increase the sexual pleasure of a man. There isn't even a fragment of even stone-age medicine behind it, it's ENTIRELY done for the sexual pleasure of men. Likewise, in cases where they do not entirely sew the vagina shut, all the various parts that stimulate pleasure in the vagina are mutilated or removed, so as to prevent the woman from ever experiencing pleasure during sex. Futhermore, the process of FGM is done in non-sterile environments and can lead to serious infections FOR LIFE and even death. In addition; when the vagina is sewn shut, the new hold often has to be continually operated on for life, as it will always be attempting to close up.

FGM is a brutal process and the comparison to male circumcision is ridiculous. I can't speak for every man, but I've never felt like less of a man due to being circumcised.

To say that "objectively" FGM and male circumcision are both "mutilation" is to say that a train and a sedan are both vehicles. It's on a completely different scale.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    And when it leads to infantile death?

Not that I expect you to know about the case, it barely made the footnote of local papers here in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Henako View Post
    How about we worry less about men's and women's rights and more about people's rights. Aren't we all on the same team?
    Nope this thread is about gender's wanting special treatment. Laws that are written without gender being included just aren't good enough for these special snowflakes.

Is that why several countries are either proposing or enacting laws against circumcisions that aren't medically necessary especially on males under age 18?

Moving posts ho! You were the one who compared a random criminal act to a social practice.
    Both are extremely illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    I think the male rights movement is silly. When have men ever been oppressed? And I'm not talking about insurance rates or selective service. I'm talking about real, actual oppression.
    Discrimination against males is common - here in Australia you are allowed to open a women's only gym, but not a men's only club.

Women get more parental leave than men.

Women get preference in marital dispute separations, including over children.

So yeah - there is discrimination against women and against men, just on different things.

As for oppression - women haven't been oppressed in my country for half a century or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Fengore View Post
    And when it leads to infantile death?

Not that I expect you to know about the case, it barely made the footnote of local papers here in the UK.
    You have some statistics on death rate?

10+ Year Old Account
    Realised I should post some content for that last post.

http://www.drmomma.org/2012/06/briti...-urged-to.html

Links to several sources within the post.

Is that why several countries are either proposing or enacting laws against circumcisions that aren't medically necessary especially on males under age 18?
    Bully for them?
    Why yes they are. That doesn't make it any more nonsensical to compare a random criminal act to what is a socially accepted practice in many parts of the world.

10+ Year Old Account

Male circumcisions are illegal? Or are you talking about removing the genitalia in general? If you are talking about the latter then yes, you are moving goalposts.