Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Chromaggus information is completely wrong. I already posted details in response to whoever linked to this on WoW Raid forum, so I'll just link to my post there:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...1256?page=1#19

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
    Chromaggus information is completely wrong. I already posted details in response to whoever linked to this on WoW Raid forum, so I'll just link to my post there:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...1256?page=1#19
    Cool, thanks for the information.

Deleted
    You shouldn't pay attention to those opening night kills by Ascent and Fury in BWL, other than as a curiosity. They went in to a very bugged BWL where bosses had almost no abilities (after that fiasco, all raids have been in PTR). Blizzard closed the gate after Vael, fixed the bosses, and the race restarted. They were not treated as real world first kills back then, and they shouldn't be today either.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitros14 View Post
    Hydross the Unstable - Ensidia
    Are you sure?

Also Lurker was massively bugged when it came out, as soon as it was fixed it was killed very quickly!

Quote Originally Posted by Moraith View Post
    Also Lurker was massively bugged when it came out, as soon as it was fixed it was killed very quickly!
    That's the reason why 2/3 of the bosses are on that list.

The raids used to be massively bugged and not fixed for several months. Now you get daily hotfixes during world first race and bosses don't stay unkillable.

Quote Originally Posted by Geish View Post
    You shouldn't pay attention to those opening night kills by Ascent and Fury in BWL, other than as a curiosity. They went in to a very bugged BWL where bosses had almost no abilities (after that fiasco, all raids have been in PTR). Blizzard closed the gate after Vael, fixed the bosses, and the race restarted. They were not treated as real world first kills back then, and they shouldn't be today either.
    Yeah, that's certainly debateable. But if you are going to count their kills on the three drakes and other bosses, then you should also be counting their kill on Chromaggus.

Regardless of all that, Chromaggus was an easy boss (even when not bugged) that doesn't deserve a bogus place in this list.

Deleted
    I don't know anyone who counts Fury's kills on the first night as world firsts.

I think you are down playing Chromaggus a bit. With the right breath combo it could be a pretty hard gear check and the tactics weren't that obvious either, people were kiting it all over the instance to find a good spot to kill it (BWL bosses didn't have leashes at that point). But yeah, if you got there with knowledge about the breaths, knew a goot tanking spot without having to wipe dozens of times finding it yourself, why not throw in a working addon that the first guilds did not enjoy, and I'm sure it seemed super easy.

Wasn't it possible to pull Blast Furnace from hour 1 of BrF or do the first two bosses of the wing really have to die first?
    Ragnar-Os! The only cereal with the Molten Core!
    BY FIBER BE PURGED!
    TASTE THE FLAVORS OF SULFURON!
    TWO SCOOPS, EXECUTUS! TWO SCOOPS!

Updated with Archimonde in Hellfire Citadel. 472 attempts, jeez.

Updated with Archimonde in Hellfire Citadel. 472 attempts, jeez.
    Speaking of which, I feel like some of these need a footnote that attempts were limited, so they weren't really all that hard, there was just artificially gated (Anub'Arak, Ra-Den, Lich King, etc.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootybear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Valancer View Post
    I play as a holy priest and when I ran hfc lfr I noticed after the first boss my heal spell wasn't casting. So I looked at it and it shows that it has a 34.4 min cast time
    Do you have the class trinket? If so, the cast time is correct. /s

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Speaking of which, I feel like some of these need a footnote that attempts were limited, so they weren't really all that hard, there was just artificially gated (Anub'Arak, Ra-Den, Lich King, etc.)
    There kind of is in the OP. Could add something I suppose. Anub'arak had limited attempts but still died in the first week so it didn't slow down the kill any.
    Last edited by Nitros14; 2015-07-18 at 01:51 AM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    There kind of is in the OP. Could add something I suppose. Anub'arak had limited attempts but still died in the first week so it didn't slow down the kill any.
    It also had Paladins keeping adds stunlocked with Holy Wrath, which was quickly fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by KaPe View Post
    It also had Paladins keeping adds stunlocked with Holy Wrath, which was quickly fixed.
    I seem to recall our paladins having a stun rotation on the adds. They went on DRs eventually though.

This list is cool and all, but I would RATHER see how long it took for the WHOLE RAID to be cleared since it first opened. I think this is the more important number.

Quote Originally Posted by MyndZero View Post
    This list is cool and all, but I would RATHER see how long it took for the WHOLE RAID to be cleared since it first opened. I think this is the more important number.
    You can find that on Manaflask.com. They have a number of articles on the subject listing each raid.

#3 Yogg-Saron, Alone in the Darkness - 83 days from General Vezax's death. (39 days from STARS' previous Ulduar kill) 7th July 2009
    Just a question that I don't think has been asked. Why do people consider "Alone in the Darkness" to be the Hard Mode for Yogg when "One Light in the Darkness" is the actual Hard Mode? Alone in the Darkness only awarded you a mount drop and the achieve while One Light in the Darkness is the one that granted the higher item level gear. If the definition of a Hard Mode is the one that awards the higher item level gear as a result of the achieve then shouldn't One Light in the Darkness be the one for Yogg? Alone in the Darkness was more of a meta than a required Hard Mode for the boss and was just tuned with the idea of you spending weeks and weeks farming gear for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ximaus View Post
    Just a question that I don't think has been asked. Why do people consider "Alone in the Darkness" to be the Hard Mode for Yogg when "One Light in the Darkness" is the actual Hard Mode? Alone in the Darkness only awarded you a mount drop and the achieve while One Light in the Darkness is the one that granted the higher item level gear. If the definition of a Hard Mode is the one that awards the higher item level gear as a result of the achieve then shouldn't One Light in the Darkness be the one for Yogg? Alone in the Darkness was more of a meta than a required Hard Mode for the boss and was just tuned with the idea of you spending weeks and weeks farming gear for it.
    Because it's the hardest version of the boss? Why would we consider an easier version of the boss to be the 'real boss'? Alone in the Darkness gives you the higher ilvl gear too, incidently.

The definition of a hard mode isn't what drops higher ilvl gear, the definition of a hard mode is what's harder and therefore more prestigious. You didn't get realm first spam for one light.

It's not like it was some gimmicky dumb achievement like "kill X of X in X seconds then defeat X". It dramatically changed core mechanics of the encounter to make a considerably more demanding boss. If anything it's the only real version of the boss since the ability Empowering Shadows does absolutely nothing unless you leave Thorim up.
    Last edited by Nitros14; 2015-07-19 at 05:01 AM.

Because it's the hardest version of the boss? Why would we consider an easier version of the boss to be the 'real boss'? Alone in the Darkness gives you the higher ilvl gear too, incidently.

The definition of a hard mode isn't what drops higher ilvl gear, the definition of a hard mode is what's harder and therefore more prestigious. You didn't get realm first spam for one light.
    Technically the "Realm First" for ToC was to defeat the Trial with 50 attempts remaining but that's not what people track when they ask about the first kill of ToC. The Realm First doesn't always mean anything. The "Hard Modes" from Ulduar were the modes that awarded higher item level gear. I'm not saying replace Alone in the Darkness but maybe for context "One Light in the Darkness" should be on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Ximaus View Post
    Technically the "Realm First" for ToC was to defeat the Trial with 50 attempts remaining but that's not what people track when they ask about the first kill of ToC. The Realm First doesn't always mean anything. The "Hard Modes" from Ulduar were the modes that awarded higher item level gear. I'm not saying replace Alone in the Darkness but maybe for context "One Light in the Darkness" should be on the list.
    True, but Realm First Trial of the Grand Crusader was also a gimmicky dumb achievement not an actual fight, as Alone in the Darkness was.

Wouldn't it be kind of weird to put the same encounter's various hard modes on the list twice?

It just seems misleading as the encounter wasn't meant to be cleared without any keepers until you got weeks of gear from the Hard Modes and Alone in the Darkness isn't really the Hard Mode for Yogg Saron. You didn't do anything Manaflask didn't do; I was just wondering why that is tracked as the first Hard Mode kill of Yogg when it isn't even his Hard Mode.
    Last edited by Ximaus; 2015-07-19 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Wrong term of address