Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I was a die hard paper book proponent. I loved my collection and swore I would never give it up. yeah I moved and realized how much space my books take up. I had a good half dozen boxes that weighed a shit ton. Not hank you.

Also I travel a lot for work and read a LOT. I would have to waste valuable space with several books to make it through my work week. I got a nook and that went away. Hell I don't even use the nook any more. Now I just use my phone. No point wasting all that space. There is nothing more intellectual about reading an "analog book." It doesn't make you smarter, or a purist, or somehow more patrician. Lit is about the words...not the median.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    What the hell is a Kindle anyway?

Googled it. Next question: why on earth would anyone invent or pay money for such a thing?
    Stack of books or something 1/3 the size of a paperback that can hold hundreds and hundreds of books? Hmmm.....Tough choice.

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't know why anyone is even talking about text messaging. It's not a cell phone. I don't see any way someone can text me on my Kindle while I'm in the middle of a book. I can send a text through an email client (just like I can on a computer) but I don't see how I would receive one. And I could do Google or Facebook messaging while having the browser open, but you can't be reading and have a browser "active" at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Porcell View Post
    What is wrong with you? What are you even talking about?
    You're falling out of character. What you meant to say was: DOES ... NOT ... COMPUTE.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    isnt the kindle fire more of a tablet like the ipad than an e-book reader?

anyway, as usual my family won't really do anything for presents, probably some chocolate / sweets. and a big family meal
    Yeah the Kindle fire doesn't use e-ink. Which basically is the only reason why anyone would get a kindle over a tablet.

I can understand the kindle, since it is the greatest invention since sliced bread. But the motorized scooter is ridiculous. Tell your mother to get a normal scooter for your kid, they are less expensive, they do the same thing, and your kid will get some exercise in the process.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

Why is everyone "I got crap presents when I was a kid so every kid I have or related too should get the same"?

I got weird random gifts when I was a kid (mostly clothes and stuff for school) so now every Christmas I make sure my nieces get amazing gifts (within a limit of course). Us adults just do secret santa with each other (money reasons) but the kids still get fun gifts. Christmas is mostly for kids anyways, its something they look forward to before they become adults and get nothing. Stop trolling the kids because you had it bad and change the tradition, its what I did. My nieces are super happy and I love it!!! I can't wait for when I have kids I'm going to make sure they have the best time ever and not continue my old tradition of getting clothes ....

10+ Year Old Account
    Dafuq.. that doesn't really sound appropriate for a 10 yr old IMO. If they give him such presents now, he will only expect the same value/more expensive presents/cooler presents in the future. That's my seeing on this though..

10+ Year Old Account
    That's why I think my parents are trying to make up for all the socks, underwear, and "Santa got you a waffle iron," I got when I was a kid. I keep telling them to stop spending my inheritance and that I'll remember this when I'm picking which old folks' home to stick them in. So that might have a "little" to do with it too.

Not to mention that that Kindle will be living on borrowed time as soon as it enters my house.

I've got three boys and its like the Thunderdome in there half the time. The last time I was dumb enough to buy them something small, cool, and electronic, was a PSP. It didn't even last six months. The Kindle looks a bit more fragile to me. It doesn't stand a chance. Still its their money, until they croak that is, too waste so more power to them.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

For the scooter does your kid ski, snowboard, skateboard, bike at all? If so they really aren't any different. Make sure he/she has safety equipment on including helmet, elbow pads, etc.

Kindles are actually a good thing. It may or may not encourage the kid to read more. Anyone I know that has one loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Stack of books or something 1/3 the size of a paperback that can hold hundreds and hundreds of books? Hmmm.....Tough choice.
    nice avatar!
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    Feel like getting a Kindle now, though I do want some kind of "skin" on it so it doesn't look like a dull piece of machinery.

And I remember what I got for christmas when I was a kid. My parents have always been very liberal, so it's always been that I've picked what I want for christmas present and then I get it on christmas. Sometimes I get an extra surprise present, but it's usually nothing super hip, perhaps a book or a pair of underwear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like this is more of a thread about a kindle lol. I have tried using an e-reader device but I just love the feel of holding a physical book in my hands or having it on my shelf. Once my library has over 1000 books and I have to move them, I may feel differently.

OT: the past two years I haven't gotten anything larger than a $20 DVD of Rome. No complaints.
    "Death is not kind. It's dark, black as far as you can see, and you're all alone."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bekilrwale View Post
    Sounds like this is more of a thread about a kindle lol. I have tried using an e-reader device but I just love the feel of holding a physical book in my hands or having it on my shelf. Once my library has over 1000 books and I have to move them, I may feel differently.

OT: the past two years I haven't gotten anything larger than a $20 DVD of Rome. No complaints.
    I do love my books, but my books are mostly about politics (world's most boring 18-year old right here folks) so their covers are pretty dull to look at, plus they're kinda hard to hold in a bus (I like standing up in the bus) so I would probably prefer a Kindle just for the increased effectivity.

10+ Year Old Account
    The other advantage of a Kindle is that other people can't see the covers of your books, so if you want to read something really smutty, no one will ever know. I don't really read smut, but once upon a time I was reading the Anita Blake books, and their covers made them look like romance novels even though they were really kind of awesome vampire books. Well they kind of went off the rails late in the series, but they started good. In any case, I was always embarrassed to be seen with them publicly, so the Kindle handles that problem.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    The other advantage of a Kindle is that other people can't see the covers of your books, so if you want to read something really smutty, no one will ever know. I don't really read smut, but once upon a time I was reading the Anita Blake books, and their covers made them look like romance novels even though they were really kind of awesome vampire books. Well they kind of went off the rails late in the series, but they started good. In any case, I was always embarrassed to be seen with them publicly, so the Kindle handles that problem.
    Amen to that, I was reading the Sven Hassell books on a train for many trips, all the swastikas over it probably gave people the wrong idea about me.

Man, all I got my kid for christmas was a professional easel (yes she's very artistic), with some paints and what not. I also got her some board games. LOL. My husband and I did get a PS3 though, so she is subjected to all sorts of games on a constant basis LOL :P
    Words are a wonderful form of communication, but they will never replace kisses and punches. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    over a hundred books when I could go to the bookstore and get a 7 buck book, or to the library fo free.
    You can get a ton of books for free. I thought the same as you until I saw that.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?node=2245146011

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Amen to that, I was reading the Sven Hassell books on a train for many trips, all the swastikas over it probably gave people the wrong idea about me.

LOL damn right they would.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I'd mock you but I totally agree. They were fantastic until she changed editors and they started reading more like Mary Sue fanfic.

OT: I'm curious how well teh kindle would do for comics, at least those with black and white panels. The Fire would probably be better for it though.
    That fabric softener teddy bear...oooh I'm 'a hunt that little bitch down.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post

haha, i bet not many people chose to sit next to you on the train.