10+ Year Old Account

Blood item upgrade question

I just got the Screaming Tiger polearm from Spirit kings yesterday, and now I'm in a little trouble.
    Upgrading the polearm would ofcourse give me more mastery and such, but it runs the chance of being upgraded soon by N Starshatter / LFR Shin'ka.
    I'd very much like some advice on what to do, current Armory is http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lenda/advanced
    And because the armory doesn't track this sort of stuff: I have legs 2/2, and I'll be getting the DMC on sunday.
    Also for what it matters I have VP for 3 upgrades right now.

I am not fan of the polearm, I would never use it. Its true it gives you some mastery (few 100 more then Starshatter) but you lose a lot of damage. I think you should wait with upgrading anything until something drops. If you really need to spend your valor you should consider upgrading your belt if you will not kill HC Stone Guard anytime soon.

Deleted
    If you think you are going to replace it soon I'd save VP for other stuff and see how it goes. There is no need to upgrade something right away, 4-8 ilvl won't make a big difference anyway.

---------- Post added 2012-11-30 at 08:40 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ardwage View Post
    I am not fan of the polearm, I would never use it. Its true it gives you some mastery (few 100 more then Starshatter) but you lose a lot of damage. I think you should wait with upgrading anything until something drops. If you really need to spend your valor you should consider upgrading your belt if you will not kill HC Stone Guard anytime soon.
    Considering that Starshatter has 0 mastery, he will gain something like 800 more mastery. That's not "some" neither "few 100 more" mastery imho, it's something to consider seriously.

You can reforge crit -> mastery so it is. I am raiding in 10 man where tank dps can make a difference so I found Starshatter better. Plus haste on that polearms is completly useless.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't had luck with Starshatter, so it beats out my 463, and Heroic Stoneguards *should* go down next reset, so yeah.. Also haste makes it useless? It's nice to get some faster runes (also I forgot to reforge it, and I put the wrong runeforge on, shame on me).

---------- Post added 2012-11-30 at 08:52 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Italiandk View Post
    If you think you are going to replace it soon I'd save VP for other stuff and see how it goes. There is no need to upgrade something right away, 4-8 ilvl won't make a big difference anyway.
    4-8 ilvls won't make or break anything, but I dislike not doing everything I can to make my character better. Unless it involves dailies, but that's an entirely different subject.

I found Starshatter better but you should use what you feel like better. Also I disagree with that, you shouldn't upgrade something right now. It true it will make your character better but you have 15 items you have to upgrade fully, its 15x 1500= 22500 valor point. 22.5 weeks. And not counted items that you have upgraded but changed later. So no, you should spend your valor very carefully, on items you will use for a while. If you want to use that polearms intstead of normal Starshatter or LRF axe (which is better than both) you should upgrade it, otherwise keep your valor.

Ah, and just checked that my HC Starshatter gives 1,3 % parry from str. Agility gives nothing.
    Last edited by Vrausc; 2012-11-30 at 08:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I found Starshatter better but you should use what you feel like better. Also I disagree with that, you shouldn't upgrade something right now. It true it will make your character better but you have 15 items you have to upgrade fully, its 15x 1500= 22500 valor point. 22.5 weeks. And not counted items that you have upgraded but changed later. So no, you should spend your valor very carefully, on items you will use for a while. If you want to use that polearms intstead of normal Starshatter or LRF axe (which is better than both) you should upgrade it, otherwise keep your valor.

Ah, and just checked that my HC Starshatter gives 1,3 % parry from str. Agility gives nothing.
    Just gonna quote myself here:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    I haven't had luck with Starshatter

Deleted
    You can reforge crit -> mastery so it is. I am raiding in 10 man where tank dps can make a difference so I found Starshatter better. Plus haste on that polearms is completly useless.
    It's still 500 mastery less, but I do agree with you about Starshatter being better than polearm, but all that mastery is not something to forget, especially if you have a 476 SS or, even worse, a 463 weapon. Haste is not totally useless but it's our worst stat of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    4-8 ilvls won't make or break anything, but I dislike not doing everything I can to make my character better. Unless it involves dailies, but that's an entirely different subject.
    No, I didn't meant that you don't have to do anything. I meant that, instead of wasting VP on a weapon that you'll upgrade soon and that's not so great, you should wait to upgrade the weapon. If you have anything else to upgrade you could upgrade those items first (for example legs and hands if you know you won't upgrade them soon).
    Last edited by mmocc39afa2be3; 2012-11-30 at 01:29 PM.