Poll: Which type of lock do you prefer?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Doesn't really matter, locks just keep honest people honest. There is no lock that cannot be circumvented by a determined thief.
    True but I've had to break my own locks, combination locks have always been easier.

Keys are more secure because you have to kill me in order to get the key. On top of the fact that if it is absolutely imperative to keep it secure, you can just get a quadruple tumbler lock and then only Doc Ock could pick it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never actually had a combination lock but I think I'd prefer it over a key. No need to remember to bring my key out with me then, and I can't hypothetically lose my key or have it stolen so no need to worry about that either.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Willeonge View Post
    I got one of those belt things to attach my keys to, and it is habit to clip them on. I also know they are there because CLANG CLANG CLANG.
    I also had the habit to forget my keys, so my neighbor gave me a keychain. Even though i get to made fun of because of "clang clang", it is convenient for people like us.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I can choose the combination, then a combination lock.

If you can't choose the combination, then I rather have a key. Combination locks where you can't choose are only useful if you have like one, so basically they are worthless.
    Last edited by Collegeguy; 2012-12-01 at 11:27 AM.

Deleted
    It's a tough battle between "oh shit I forgot my combination" and "where the hell are my keys" but I'd have to go with the latter. Also keys chime when you jiggle 'em.

In my experience combination locks are far less secure, since they normally require no tools or knowledge of the actual combination to open/break it. But the number one reason for them being less secure is that the production quality leaves much to be desired. If the quality of the combination lock is good enough (say, digital door code version, allowing personalized codes), and couple it with a swipe of a key card, and that's my favorite. It's much easier to remember to take a card with you than keys, but maybe that's just me.

And I don't like the uncomfortable volume of many keys vs many fewer cards (I have 3 keys for work which could be replaced by a single keycard, 2 keys for home = 1 keycard, etc). Carrying a keycard produces less noise than carrying many keys. I don't know about you guys, but I don't cherish carrying a cow bell around.

Poll needs "Neither", and "Both" options. In which case I'd vote "Both, given sufficient quality of both components, if not, neither, or I don't care which".
    Keycard+Code(ditigal) > Keycard > Code(digital) > Key >> A Doorman >> Combination = Closed, unlocked door with a "This door is alarmed!"-sign.

Deleted
    I prefer old fashioned mechanical locks. Both can be broken by professional thieves but I think it's noisier and draws more attention when someone is picking a mechanical lock and I'd know for sure that someone has been where they shouldn't cause I don't think most thieves would bother picking the lock close again:P