Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Most people play what they are attracted to.
    I rather not play male characters either.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorne View Post
    I convinced a friend of mine to finally try WoW and he got a trial account.

I told him to pick Horde so we can play together.

And what does he go and pick??

Female Blood Elf.

I asked him why he would pick that...and he said its because he wants to play the game and NOT have to "stare at some dudes ass" the whole time.

I'm perplexed. He was trying to be macho with his statement and yet how ironic is it that as a female toon he is likely to get hit on and flirted with by other males.....but maybe I am wrong?

A girl I play with said he is not going to get hit on by guys just because he's a female toon, and that I was being ridiculous.

What do you all think?
    My wife plays a female Belf. She has been hit on once in the 5 years she has played that toon.

10+ Year Old Account
    I proudly play male Blood Elf and male Draenei. I may or may not be messed up in the head. That said, there are some races/genders whose animations I prefer over others (Female Blood Elf definitely not so).

The whole "ass" argument is insecurity. Just admit you're attracted to a computer animated woman and get over it.
    Last edited by Nadev; 2012-12-02 at 10:42 PM.
    Men!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

Now having a ball on SWTOR!

A thread as old as time,
    play your toon not mine
    Homo-phobia

Personally, attack and casting animations are all that matters to me when determining character race and gender. All my Ally casters are male Worgen, while my Horde are female Goblins. My Ally melee are Night Elf female and my horde melee are Troll male, save for my Rogue, which is female Blood Elf.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Davendwarf View Post
    I proudly play male Blood Elf and male Draenei. I may or may not be messed up in the head. That said, there are some races/genders whose animations I prefer over others (Female Blood Elf definitely not so).

The whole "ass" argument is insecurity. Just admit you're attracted to a computer animated woman and get over it.
    Oh don't give me the "I'm not attracted to pixels because I'm normal!" crap. Graphics in games are becoming better and better for every year, if we made a perfect 3D-model after a real woman who worked as a model, are you saying you wouldn't be able to be attracted to her simply because she's digital? If we took a picture of a real woman, are you saying you wouldn't be able to find her attractive on the screen because there she's made of pixels? Bullshit.

Female toons used to get hit on all the time. I rolled male for that exact reason. In fact, the first maybe hour after I started playing a night elf female for the first time, I was pretty much sexually harassed in the starting zone. I logged out and made a tauren male. When it died down a bit, I wasn't as hesitant to make a female toon. I've been hit on for playing a female toon as lately as about wrath, but it hasn't happen since, and typically didn't often happen to tauren females anyway. I had a guildie of mine roll a female blood elf and get hit on and practically RP courted by some kid in wrath, but he may have ran with it for the lolz.

So, anyone saying "no one hits on female toons because they know it's a guy anyway" are incorrect. I think you're forgetting where we are. Hi, welcome to the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post
    Oh don't give me the "I'm not attracted to pixels because I'm normal!" crap. Graphics in games are becoming better and better for every year, if we made a perfect 3D-model after a real woman who worked as a model, are you saying you wouldn't be able to be attracted to her simply because she's digital? If we took a picture of a real woman, are you saying you wouldn't be able to find her attractive on the screen because there she's made of pixels? Bullshit.
    I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying people who say "Whoa bro, I ain't gay" as their excuse to play female characters are insecure.
    Men!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

Now having a ball on SWTOR!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    I have both male and female characters. It depends largely on what race I make the character. For example I think male Draenei look amazingly stupid and their combat animations are very clunky where female Draenei look much less stupid and have better combat animations. On the other hand I think male Humans have better animations and are less clunky than female humans.
    Same here, have male and female characters. I make no secret of the fact I'm a guy, and I assume most other female characters are also guys. Judging vent of the guilds I've been, you're playing this game with mostly guys, with a few girls here and there. The chance it's 8 guys and 2 girls in the raid is pretty high.

That said, I agree with RoKPaNda. Want to know why I chose a female draenei? Roll a male draenei and type "lol" - it looks like a .. heavy guy tiptoe-ing while having a voice crack that sounds like mickey mouse.

Instead, I roll a female draenei which looks good and sounds good.

Or, night elves. I'd roll a female one. Why? If you die on a male one, he falls on the knees and goes "Uwgwgwgwgh AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!". And that bugs me. Female one, you die. No serenade or anything like that.

Deleted
    I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying people who say "Whoa bro, I ain't gay" as their excuse to play female characters are insecure.
    That, I can agree with. But so are the people who question a guy picking a female character over a male character, as if it would be wrong somehow to pick the opposing gender when you create a character in a video game.

When it comes down to it, it's so much more often something as simple as, you prefer their animations, or the way they look in certain kinds of armor.
    Last edited by mmoce2fa46bcbe; 2012-12-02 at 11:00 PM. Reason: typo

10+ Year Old Account
    People don't go around hitting on female characters in-game. In my experience it's only over vent.

Your friend's reasoning isn't too hard to understand I think. You either make a character that relates to yourself or one that you find attractive.

Deleted
    I'm a guy and i play a mix. Usually casters = female, melee = male. It comes down to models and animations. What i'll never play:
    Troll: bad model, ugly feet
    Male belf: stupid animations, overblown proportions
    male nelf: idiotic animations
    fem human: i actually like fem human, but bad model quality
    dreanei: i like dreanei, don't like how armor looks on them, lots of clipping
    gnome and goblin: overall downer, i like to see my armor and not a clipping mess of pixels
    tauren: that scratching animation is super annoying
    fem worgen: dafuq is this model, terrible proportions, bad animations

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorne View Post
    A little more context,
    this guy is used to playing consoles on single player.

Wow is a whole huge alive thing by comparison.
    I wouldn't read into this whole thread so far as to suggest homophobia or anything...

I guess he needs to be told that maybe, just maybe, his old choices of 'pick the hottest chick' to play everytime, probably isn't going to translate well into an MMO with other real players.
    Because the way your character looks determines your skill? I'm sorry but you seem to be the one with the issue here not your friend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually this level of reasoning can go both ways you chose to create your ideal male character simply because its what you are not and want to be, generalization is easy ain't it. I personally will only play female characters no matter what, I don't rp or put myself in the shoes of my character, I like females and that's all I'm gonna play.
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

I play according to the best laughs.

Male trolls, dwarves and orcs have the best for going 'lol' in local when you're surrounded by a bunch of players who can't kill you.

That all said, I do love it when I get turned into a female draenai, gnome or blood elf on my priest due to the engineering teleport malfunction. Something about being a female seems to wind the Horde players right up and keep attacking me more so than a male! I love it!
    Fly fast, stay low, hit hard.
    You'd think the 8th Anniversary was the Cheese Anniversary to go with all the whine.
    - madethisfor1post

Ravenholdt EU - Nice Toons: Frazzlebeard, Menardis, Plight - Less So: Slîght

Deleted
    I play female toons although I am male - I think that if you need to make a male toon that is seven foot tall and built like the hulk... that says more about your sexuality and insecurities than playing a female toon

I'm male and I've had a female character as a main since I started playing the game back in 2005. Not once have anyone flirted with me when playing a female character. Hell, I can't even recall anyone ever referring to me as a she when playing a female character. I agree with the girl on you being ridiculous.

Personally, I play both male and female characters, but prefer female because of superior character models and animations in most cases (at least in World of Warcraft). Whenever I create a new character, I choose whatever race/gender/class mix looks the coolest to me. I'm not much an actual role-player and I don't play on RP servers, but I do like to make up a small backstory for my characters to make it a bit more interesting and immersive.

I consider myself as a "Director" type of player, while the ones who only play the same gender as they are in real life are more of a "Main Actor/Action Hero" type of player, if that makes any sense.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's strictly player preference. What he wants is different from what you want but that doesn't make it wrong.

Personally, I like having only one of each race. With 11 classes, that means I need to create a few females so I don't repeat.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

10+ Year Old Account
    lol my boyfriend's friend did the exact same thing. When I asked him why he rolled a belf he also said the exact same thing lol. I don't care what character's people pick, doesn't matter to me. The thought of this particular friend of our's playing a belf makes me giggle though. He is a very macho big guy, so when he 'lol's in dungeons and that high pitched belf cackle emits from his toon it gives me a good laugh.

I only play belf females. Just the character I like the most, and as a girl I like to play female characters.

I do find it INCREDIBLY odd and creepy when I get hit on in game. Its just...I just don't get it lol. Unless these guys are some hardcore role players (even though I play on a PvE realm).

Quote Originally Posted by Bovan View Post
    Lots of guys play female toons for that exact same reason. I think you are being a little over dramatic.

My own personal opinion is that guys who play female toons for whatever reason are weird. It just doesn't feel right, and I don't understand why anyone would possibly do this. But hey that's just my opinion. I'm predicting some angry comments from guys with female characters because I expressed my opinion on an internet forum.
    Not angry, just humored. You've really never wanted your own pretty little doll to dress up?

I haven't played a male, through-and-through, since like... ever. I take greater pride in getting a look that matches my female counterpart that is both intimidating and sensual. Playing as a male tends to degrade into a science of who can get the biggest, most obnoxious crap on their avatar. The style and beauty of it all is muddled up at best.

There is nothing like watching a leather-clad vixen wade through her enemies in a graceful, bloodied manner--babes with a taste for crimson, yummy. Granted, this is coming from a guy that likes to also write things from a female perspective. Largely because the woman I am searching for likely doesn't exist, so I design my own for amusement and the MMO/RPG environment is ripe for that.

I'm single for a reason and it isn't because I am anti-social, fat, none-of-the-above typical issues that a man might have in finding a partner. I actually typically find women repulsive by nature and find men, emotionally, far more attractive especially when they're not your stereotypical meat-heads. That being said, I am programmed towards women physically and therefore find it difficult to break the mold and seek out men.

Any chance to escape reality and design my own ideal femme-fatal and feel slightly normal in admiring a woman(even in pixellated form) is just fantastic to me. Hell, most of the time I'm already thinking of a back-story and personality for her as she's being made in the menus! Whether this is a reoccurring theme or not among others remains to be seen.

But the excuse that it's essentially better to look at a female figure versus a male, if that's what you're attracted to, is pretty valid by my count. Shouldn't need much further explanation than that. Who cares if people flirt with you or toy around? Ignore them or take advantage of it!
    Last edited by Rudol Von Stroheim; 2012-12-02 at 11:25 PM.