Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't it a rumor spread by the media to justify the intervention? Just like always? And just like everything US, and Turkey are doing in the region atm.
    Instead of helping Egypt, for example, which's been turned into the current mess and left to rot in a civil war produced by them.
    I wish the world's attention was there, and not pointed to support rebels in another country. Rebels = Clriminals, nothing more. I doubt there's a single country which does not prohibit rebelions, and i wonder why someone thinks he has a right to even discuss the outher country's laws.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    President Obama pissed away the moral high ground on a country killing its own citizens when he approved the murder of Anwar al-Awaki and his son. Thanks to the actions of Obama and his predecessor, the difference between the U.S. and Syria is now one of degree, not kind.

I'll also point out that it's the U.S. and it's allies that are ultimately partly responsible if Assad does use chemical weapons, because they've been instrumental in making sure that dictators realize they have no way out. While letting murderous former tyrants live in exile in Switzerland or Saudi Arabia isn't pleasant, it's a damn sight better alternative than giving them no options but dying in prison or being executed. From Assad's perspective, why shouldn't he try playing the chemical weapons card? He and his family know that if they lose they'll be killed or imprisoned no matter what, just like Milosevic, Saddam, and Qadaffi. Why not roll the dice once all other options are exhausted?
    Awlaki was a monster who was openly admitting to be a terrorist. Due process or not, he got what he deserved. I'm a puritan when it comes to justice.

Instrumental in making dictators think that they have no way out? What does that have to do with anything? DICTATORS ARE NOT ENTITLED TO SAFE WAYS OUT; they are only entitled to the right hand of justice.

Why shouldn't he risk playing the chemical weapons card? Perhaps because he realizes the following:

1. If he's religious, he will burn in hell (that is, if he isn't already going to LOL.)
    2. That he will be charged for war crimes when he is caught.
    3. That he will be terminated with extreme prejudice extrajudicially when his people catch up with him.
    4. That he will be committing an inherent immoral act if that means anything to him (which it probably won't.)
    5. He will be inviting the wrath of the United States of America and the wreathe of liberty.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyopz View Post
    LMAO, I did not want to stoop down to this level, but you're approaching the epitome of imbecility. I'm not going to go join the ranks of the rebels directly because I'm an American, not a Syrian. I'm going to join the United States Military (regardless of whether we intervene or not, by the way) in the event that we do intervene so that I can step up, as Americans have done in the past using rationalizations such as the Monroe doctrine, to liberate a people that we have collectively deemed as needing liberation.

I don't care about your views. It's nice that you're not pro-Assad (because that would mean you support one of the largest serial killers in history), but that's ultimately irrelevant.

You seem to think that this is some kind of a bubble, not reality; your existence must be a terrible experience. This is not a bubble, this is my reality and this is towards what the world is gravitating. It's time humanity thinks of each of its members rather than asinine self-interests.

I'm not sending anyone to die in another man's war. I'm sending myself and my brothers in arms to die in what is EVERYMAN's war as we're all brothers in humanity, regardless of whether you loathe this fact or not.

---------- Post added 2012-12-06 at 07:40 AM ----------

The way I structure sentences? Wait, what? What's wrong with my syntax? rofl

It's fine that you think that I'm not serious; someone steeped in your shallow, feeble and pessimistic world view would obviously think that of someone like me.
    I don't even care if NATO gets involved. The sooner that organization and its Nations run out of money, the better the world will be.
    Good riddance imho. Make sure you have a mask on when Assad drops his Saren on you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BreathTaker View Post
    Isn't it a rumor spread by the media to justify the intervention? Just like always? And just like everything US, and Turkey are doing in the region atm.
    Instead of helping Egypt, for example, which's been turned into the current mess and left to rot in a civil war produced by them.
    I wish the world's attention was there, and not pointed to support rebels in another country. Rebels = Clriminals, nothing more. I doubt there's a single country which does not prohibit rebelions, and i wonder why someone thinks he has a right to even discuss the outher country's laws.
    The media is independent; this is no longer 1984, not even 2003. The media is much more accountable now, and things like actual Syrians on the ground posting videos of atrocities is proof enough of what is happening on the ground.

Rebels = criminals? ROFL

Under international law, which I remind you that every country other than Somalia and Afghanistan have largely ratified, rebellions are justified if the regime contrary to the rebellion is denying fundamental human rights. Now, if that very same regime is committing war crimes, then civil law disintegrates and rebellion is wholly justified. Rebels are not criminals in this case at all.

---------- Post added 2012-12-06 at 07:48 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kivimetsan View Post
    I don't even care if NATO gets involved. The sooner that organization and its Nations run out of money, the better the world will be.
    Good riddance imho. Make sure you have a mask on when Assad drops his Saren on you.
    I will.

Make sure that you sleep like a baby while the words you spew here attempt to rationalize or justify the actions of someone who is killing kids, individuals who are tabula rasa, at no fault for anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Awlaki was a monster who was openly admitting to be a terrorist. Due process or not, he got what he deserved. I'm a puritan when it comes to justice.

Instrumental in making dictators think that they have no way out? What does that have to do with anything? DICTATORS ARE NOT ENTITLED TO SAFE WAYS OUT; they are only entitled to the right hand of justice.

Why shouldn't he risk playing the chemical weapons card? Perhaps because he realizes the following:

1. If he's religious, he will burn in hell (that is, if he isn't already going to LOL.)
    3. That he will be terminated with extreme prejudice extrajudicially when his people catch up with him.
    4. That he will be committing an inherent immoral act if that means anything to him (which it probably won't.)
    5. He will be inviting the wrath of the United States of America and the wreathe of liberty.
    You speak of Liberty and Justice, yet your own backyard is void of such things.

So am I. However, giving the government free rein to just kill american citizens instead of properly bringing them to justice does not sit well with me, nor should it with anyone.

This I actually agree with 100%. When shit starts going bad for a dictator, it's because their actions got them to that point. They are solely responsible for what they did.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kivimetsan View Post
    You speak of Liberty and Justice, yet your own backyard is void of such things.
    That is irrelevant as I attempt to instil both liberty and justice into my own backyard. If it is void of such things, then it is out of my power.

Despite this, I will continue to (as will many of my countrymen and fellow humans) strive for liberty and justice. Liberty to all people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TehTiny View Post
    Call me cold blooded or a terrible person if you want. I wish we would just nuke that entire region off the face of the planet and dare somebody to say something. You want to know why the United States was so effective in the first two world wars? Our military commanders were ruthless and used whatever tactics necessary to break people. I had a relative who told me a story about how they used to get information from Islamic extremists. They would dig holes and put them at the bottom and threaten to put a bullet in their skull followed by being drenched in pigs blood. Needless to say they got all the answers they were looking for and more.
    Forget "cold-blooded" or "terrible"; you're ignorant and spouting idiocy.

Your relative's story is untrue, a disproven urban myth, incorrect in every detail, that wouldn't have worked even if we had tried it.
    http://urbanlegends.about.com/librar...k_pershing.htm

WWII interrogators have publicly denounced Bush-era "enhanced interrogations". They weren't "ruthless", they were friendly and often sympathetic to those they were questioning. And they got amazing results.
    http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/wwi...odays_methods/

Oh, and as for "nuking the entire region", leaving aside your apparent psychopathy, destroying even a significant fraction of the Mid-East's populated areas with nuclear weapons would dump massive amounts of radioactive fallout into Earth's atmosphere, crash the global economy, and likely have significant negative impacts on the global climate as well.

Like it's any of your business. Stupid warmongers.

10+ Year Old Account
    A Black Land of Sorcery and Nameless Horror
    It's fine that you think that I'm not serious; someone steeped in your shallow, feeble and pessimistic world view would obviously think that of someone like me.
    you realise thats how you yourself come across? you seem to think people join the army because they want to go and fight the good fight and help damsels in distress rather than the bulk of them who are from poor backgrounds and see the army as the only way to improve their circumstances. thats asinine and tbh shows a somewhat limited IQ. good luck in the miltary, with any luck youll be able to emulate the great football hero that threw his career away to "go fight the good fight"

That is irrelevant as I attempt to instil both liberty and justice into my own backyard. If it is void of such things, then it is out of my power.

Despite this, I will continue to (as will many of my countrymen and fellow humans) strive for liberty and justice. Liberty to all people.
    If your own backyard does not yet have liberty and justice, why would you leave the job there unfinished to bring "liberty" to somewhere else?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by value View Post
    Humanity is my business. If innocent people are mercilessly slaughtered, whether it's next door or on the other side of the world, it is automatically my problem and the problem of all patriots. The might of the U.S. Military rolling into Syria will cause the cries of "JUSTICE HAS COME" to ring out across the plains.

OORAH

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    Forget "cold-blooded" or "terrible"; you're ignorant and spouting idiocy.

Your relative's story is untrue, a disproven urban myth, incorrect in every detail, that wouldn't have worked even if we had tried it.
    http://urbanlegends.about.com/librar...k_pershing.htm

WWII interrogators have publicly denounced Bush-era "enhanced interrogations". They weren't "ruthless", they were friendly and often sympathetic to those they were questioning. And they got amazing results.
    http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/wwi...odays_methods/

Oh, and as for "nuking the entire region", leaving aside your apparent psychopathy, destroying even a significant fraction of the Mid-East's populated areas with nuclear weapons would dump massive amounts of radioactive fallout into Earth's atmosphere, crash the global economy, and likely have significant negative impacts on the global climate as well.
    /golfclap

I appreciate the personal attacks. Tell me how you really feel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by soulcrusher View Post
    you realise thats how you yourself come across? you seem to think people join the army because they want to go and fight the good fight and help damsels in distress rather than the bulk of them who are from poor backgrounds and see the army as the only way to improve their circumstances. thats asinine and tbh shows a somewhat limited IQ. good luck in the miltary, with any luck youll be able to emulate the great football hero that threw his career away to "go fight the good fight"
    I'm not joining the army simply because it fights the good fight, but because living at home, safe, and completing an M.D. (which I intend to pursue following OCS) while making money does not sit well with me. There's more to life than its hedonistic pleasures for me and that defines me.

Good fight or not, the United States Military can (and will) do a lot to help the plight of innocent Syrians. That is a cause worth fighting for (for me.)

---------- Post added 2012-12-06 at 07:57 AM ----------

/golfclap

If you haven't noticed by now, multiple people have proven your pathetic assertions to be false. I'd be phoning your "elders" by now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by value View Post
    amen bro
    this thread is full of warhawks

Humanity is my business. If innocent people are mercilessly slaughtered, whether it's next door or on the other side of the world, it is automatically my problem and the problem of all patriots. The might of the U.S. Military rolling into Syria will cause the cries of "JUSTICE HAS COME" to ring out across the plains.

OORAH
    Oh god you've been trolling us all this whole time. Good show.

I mean, you can't possibly be serious, right? You're like Stephen Colbert on a cocaine/steroid cocktail.

/golfclap

The only real personal attack there is the psychopathy part. Other than that, he's just saying you are uninformed and what you posted was idiotic.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not joining the army simply because it fights the good fight, but because living at home, safe, and completing an M.D. (which I intend to pursue following OCS) while making money does not sit well with me. There's more to life than its hedonistic pleasures for me and that defines me.

Good fight or not, the United States Military can (and will) do a lot to help the plight of innocent Syrians. That is a cause worth fighting for (for me.)

---------- Post added 2012-12-06 at 07:57 AM ----------

If you haven't noticed by now, multiple people have proven your pathetic assertions to be false. I'd be phoning your "elders" by now.
    passing the psych test will be a difficult feat for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    William Roper: So, now you give the Devil the benefit of law!
    Sir Thomas More: Yes! What would you do? Cut a great road through the law to get after the Devil?
    William Roper: Yes, I'd cut down every law in England to do that!
    Sir Thomas More: Oh? And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned 'round on you, where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat? This country is planted thick with laws, from coast to coast, Man's laws, not God's! And if you cut them down, and you're just the man to do it, do you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    _A Man for All Seasons_

It's called realpolitik. In this case it's based on the idea that any civilized human being would rather see one evil man escape punishment than watch tens of thousands of innocents die and suffer.

He's getting all of those anyway. I think you've made my point for me.

Psy, you have to consider the possibility that these people might not want our help. Most of the places we've "saved" in the past didn't want our help and didn't end up much better off afterwards.