Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

"Patriot Act allows US to spy worldwide"

So, this is pretty messed up...

"Information that Europeans keep stored online could be accessed by US law enforcement agencies. That's according to a report issued by one university in Amsterdam, which revealed the anti-terrorism Patriot Act gives Washington legal grounds to bypass Europe's privacy laws."

http://rt.com/usa/news/us-patriot-act-cloud-381/

And....?

yes none of your personal information is safe. why is that a surprise?

It's called the Patriot Act for a reason.... to make it look like voting against the act is unpatriotic.

Unless you're a terrorist, you've got nothing to be concerned about.

We live in an inter-connected world, how is this a surprise to anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by tombstoner139 View Post
    And....?

yes none of your personal information is safe. why is that a surprise?

It's called the Patriot Act for a reason.... to make it look like voting against the act is unpatriotic.
    Yep. It is amazing how you can scare masses into doing things blindly. After the attacks on 9/11 we passes the Patriot Act to let the governemnt spy on its citizens and also let a President lead us into an unjust war, which idiots in Congress gave him the authority because politically they knew if any weapons every found the other party, Dems for this case would get killed politically.

---------- Post added 2012-12-06 at 05:59 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Unless you're a terrorist, you've got nothing to be concerned about.

We live in an inter-connected world, how is this a surprise to anyone?
    Ignorance is bliss

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmatum View Post
    So, this is pretty messed up...

"Information that Europeans keep stored online could be accessed by US law enforcement agencies. That's according to a report issued by one university in Amsterdam, which revealed the anti-terrorism Patriot Act gives Washington legal grounds to bypass Europe's privacy laws."

http://rt.com/usa/news/us-patriot-act-cloud-381/
    Yeh europe is just a catastrophe.
    I mean, that patriotic act is ridicolous and harmful, but it's in the US interest to do it. At least I can give the us that. They do what's good for THEM.

The EU instead minds someone else's business.
    US says Russia is bad? Ok... Russia is bad and I won't considering trading with it.
    US wants to access EU private data? please feel free.

They don't work for what's good FOR Europe. They're just serving.

And mind you, we have the economical and military power to mind our own business.

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    Ignorance is bliss
    Why would I need to worry though? What could the U.S.A. do to me? I'm not ignorant of it happening, but I really don't care. I've got nothing to hide from anyone.

really? as if all your information on the web is "private". Yes ignorance is bliss indeed. haha
    Cheese. Its amazing. Until your feet smell like it.

this should surprise me, but it doesnt
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    this should surprise me, but it doesnt
    Big Brother is watching you... now even when you're not part of it. Tsk tsk tsk. I like them less and less every week.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh lord, it's RT again. Why am I not surprised? It's so interesting to see the difference between people and the news they read.

First, those people are not subject to anything in the United States. It's services and companies information centers that are. If you post something on Facebook, duh of course it could be seen by people you don't intend and is now controlled by that company. Calling that worldwide espionage is a pretty far stretch.
    Last edited by Collegeguy; 2012-12-06 at 12:12 PM.

Deleted
    Do you people understand that "private data" might not mean "Facebook" only?

Jesus guys use a bit of logic.

They already have been caught out using a type of SDU here in Sweden, Norway and in Denmark as far as I know(maybe more places I don't know), it's no news.

"We've not been able to investigate those who work with or have worked with the SDU because their observations are considered to be part of the embassy's archives and are inviolable," Chief Public Prosecutor Tomas Lindstrand said, citing provisions in the Vienna Conventions.

"We're not allowed to look at them…we can't do anything about it."

US embassy spokesperson Chris Dunnett on Monday welcomed Lindstrand's decision to drop the probe.

"We're pleased with the results of the inquiry, which we feel show that we've done our best to cooperate with the Swedish authorities on this matter," Dunnett said.

"Clearly, there were some instances where the communication could have been better," he said.

"But we've cooperated with the inquiry to the best of our ability and we think it clearly establishes that we acted properly and within our rights according to the Vienna Conventions."
    Translation: "we didn't let them look at anything at all, we've clearly cooperated to the best of our ability and will continue to do so, have a good day Mr"

Just suck it up. If you are suprised the US spies on other countries you are a bit naive. Of course we got survelliance teams on them as well ever since the incident with the two blokes that got sent to Egypt.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2012-12-06 at 12:48 PM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Do you people understand that "private data" might not mean "Facebook" only?

Jesus guys use a bit of logic.
    Would it matter if it wasn't just Facebook? Companies in the United States are not immune to U.S. law just because they do business with foreigners. Your concept of private data is old fashioned if your expecting some kind of gold standard from the 1990's.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to break this down for those a bit too naive for their own good:

Governments are not people. They do not have morals. They were created with one thing in mind: Protecting the interests of the society that created them.

If you think for one second that any government that can afford to search for private information on the web, isn't doing so... Well, I'm sure there are some "African Banks" who would like to meet you.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some people in this thread are so easily accepting of tyranny and enslavement.
    Least we know who are the drones are when the time comes to confront the slave masters.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ovm33 View Post
    I'm going to break this down for those a bit too naive for their own good:

Governments are not people. They do not have morals. They were created with one thing in mind: Protecting the interests of the society that created them.

If you think for one second that any government that can afford to search for private information on the web, isn't doing so... Well, I'm sure there are some "African Banks" who would like to meet you.
    I don't think it'll happen soon, but I'd love to save all these "nothing you can do about it" posts, and then release them when you're at the other end of the deal. Lets see what reaction you would have.

I love how people dribble on about people being naive or ignorant simply because they feel it is assumed knowledge that what we do and what store is automatically something we unwillingly give to government agencies, like this is in any manner something acceptable in the first place.

I just find it sad that we, "the people", elect officials to form a government yet to speak out against them in any manner is often a greater crime than any murder ... and we are meant to be ok with this? Wait What?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I don't think it'll happen soon, but I'd love to save all these "nothing you can do about it" posts, and then release them when you're at the other end of the deal. Lets see what reaction you would have.
    I am at the "other end of the deal." I know for a damn fact that every site I visit, every word I type is being logged by some NSA super computer. I also know that America is possibly the most spied on country in the world. With maybe Iran ahead of us. Every country spies on every other country. Every country has a "CIA" equivalent.

And the fact that I underlined "They do not have morals." Should have made my opinion on the matter clear. But what can I actually do? Start a tinfoil hat club and protest? What would be gained? At most a rewrite of the law and a wink and a nod saying we won't do it again, we swears it! No weapon technology ever created has disappeared, with the notable exception of Greek Fire. And make no mistake here, information is the deadliest weapon ever created.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

Quote Originally Posted by Kivimetsan View Post
    Some people in this thread are so easily accepting of tyranny and enslavement.
    Least we know who are the drones are when the time comes to confront the slave masters.
    Accepting no, realistic yes.
    What are you doing to change it?
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

I don't see why I should be happy with some guy at the NSA going through my stuff without a warrant, just because "it is inevitable that they'll do it". Heck, I don't see why they should be able to get a warrant either. Maybe they should be reminded that their name is the National Security Agency, not the International Security Agency.

If your government wants to get rid of the "world police" image they have earned themselves through their policies and actions, stopping acting like they have the right to know everything everybody says would be a great place to start.