Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    Actually, considering Earth is the only planet in our solar system with water in liquid form, it makes sense to come here for it. If you watch Battle: LA they make this point in the movie. No other place in our solar system has water in a liquid state (aka a state where it can easily be gathered and used) so really it does make sense for an alien civilization to come here if they need water for anything.
    One of our questions is the villain looks like some kind of computer so why would a computer need water? The only solutions I had were it helps prevent overheating or it helps the clones in their stasis pods

10+ Year Old Account
    I am still hit and miss about the movie, with Tom Cruise I usually love or hate his movies, there's never any middle ground, I usually feel he same away about Nicholas Cage too. I' probably wont see it but I know some people that will.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy88 View Post
    One of our questions is the villain looks like some kind of computer so why would a computer need water? The only solutions I had were it helps prevent overheating or it helps the clones in their stasis pods
    I think they said it helps with power somehow but the clones need nutrients as well I would think so there's that I guess. Likely it's just one of those things they just made a one line reference to in the movie and you're just supposed to accept it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nario64 View Post
    Haha... When that first drone was shot outside the refugee camp and started to spin and fly around... all I could think of was:

That movie needs to be redone with a lot of Wheatley voice overs.
    Yeah,that one too.

SPACE! SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!

And for some reason, Sally at the end reminded me of GLaDOS. Looks nothing like her, but that's all I could think of. Maybe it was her voice.
    Putin khuliyo

Actually, considering Earth is the only planet in our solar system with water in liquid form, it makes sense to come here for it. If you watch Battle: LA they make this point in the movie. No other place in our solar system has water in a liquid state (aka a state where it can easily be gathered and used) so really it does make sense for an alien civilization to come here if they need water for anything.
    Nah it's trivial for an interstellar alien to melt water. if it needs water theres vast amounts of it in comets or dorty snowballs in the kuiper belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    Nah it's trivial for an interstellar alien to melt water. if it needs water theres vast amounts of it in comets or dorty snowballs in the kuiper belt.
    Doesn't sound very efficient to attempt catching 1-km radius size comets spread out in a 50 AU radius if the earth has trillions of gallons of water concentrated in a small planet

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I saw Oblivion two days ago and I'm still trying to understand it.

Deleted
    The movie was alright I guess, there was just a few things bugging me.
    Who created this mechanical race? Was it created by some biological race and then the AI went rogue? Or did it just spawn out of thin air?
    At the end of the movie you see the clone (the second clone) and the other refugees found the girl in the forrest along with a kid. Who was this kid? Did she give birth to the kid alone in the middle of the forrest? I mean it's wierd : /

Quote Originally Posted by ridish View Post
    Snip
    You should use spoiler tags so you don't ruin the movie.

She slept with Jack (the clone we know) when they were in the cabin and got pregnant. If you pay attention, when the second clone finds her he says it took him 3 years to find the cabin. So yes, she gave birth to the kid alone in the forest which is not out of the realm of possibility. People have been doing it for hundreds of years and this takes place in the future where they clearly have advanced medical technology.

I don't recall them mentioning where the alien (not really?) race came from. But again, depending on your view, it's entirely possible there aliens out there in the universe. To quote the movie Contact: I'll tell you one thing about the universe, though. The universe is a pretty big place. It's bigger than anything anyone has ever dreamed of before. So if it's just us... seems like an awful waste of space. Right?

15+ Year Old Account
    Loved it, saw in an IMAX and it was one of the most gorgeous looking films I've ever seen, loved the art style and some of the shots of landscapes. The night shots with them in the pool was some pretty amazing camera work. Story has been done to death, was also nice to see Jamie Lannister in it, love that guy as in actor.

---------- Post added 2013-04-27 at 08:32 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sykke View Post
    I saw Oblivion two days ago and I'm still trying to understand it.
    Well

In 2017 the NASA mission was launched, but once they were in space they saw the Tet and decided to investigate it. It started drawing them in (because it needed humans to help control the Drones, etc.) so Jack Harper - the pilot - ejected the passengers in stasis into orbit around Earth. When the Tet (which was controlled by aliens who had destroyed the Moon and wanted to collect energy from Earth) realised they only had 2 humans to use, they cloned them thousands of times so that they could use just those two people to control the whole planet. So the aliens sent down Drones to control Earth and sent down humans (clones of Jack and Victoria) to look after the Drones, stopping the clones from meeting each other by setting up 'Radiation Zones'. The 'Scavengers' were just humans who had survived the apocalyptic events of the Moon being destroyed, and when they saw that aliens were invading the planet, they set about trying to disable all its Drones. But the aliens had implanted FALSE memories in Jack and Victoria, leading them to believe that they were still working for the humans, so when he realised that he was being used as a 'tool' by the aliens, he rebelled against them and joined the Scavs in bringing down the alien invaders.

Source: http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...0104509AAGOEZm

10+ Year Old Account
    i thought it was a blatant rip off of the movie Moon

Tom Cruise can act, and i hate people that give him crap over his religion or being a little crazy. He's a movie actor, let him do what he does. But overall i gave the movie itself 1 out of 5.
    Hi

I love the fact that someone in the design department decided Tom Cruise should be flying around in a giant dick and nuts. That makes the movie worth it in my books.

15+ Year Old Account
    I actually enjoyed the movie. 7/10 I figured out that the people Cruise was working for would end up being the bad guys, they give that part away in the trailer if you think about it but the clones was an interesting twist that I didn't expect. I personally feel like the movie should have ended when they blew up the ship, that would have been perfect. The last few minutes where another clone shows up and he has a kid was a bad decision. But Americans need a happy ending and so I believe that's why it was added in unfortunately.
    Not really happy, considering she fell for another clone, and there's still millions of Tom Cruises out there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    Not really happy, considering she fell for another clone, and there's still millions of Tom Cruises out there.
    Who wouldn't? I mean seriously? This model dies? Go get another!
    Putin khuliyo

After seeing Iron Man 3, I've come around on this film. This is a MUCH better film than IM3. I cared about the characters in this one. I was bored with the characters in IM3. That's the key difference.

Oblivion might wind up being my favorite film of 2013.

Thought it was pretty good, but not much more than that. It had a few predictable and typical cliché moments, but I liked the plot twist very much, and honestly, it was all worth it just to see Tom Cruise beat the living shit out of himself.

I really wanted to like this film... the visuals were all appealing....

but it felt like the movie went way past 'homage' to previous scifi classics and way into being nothing but derivative.

It felt like they put 2001 & Moon in a blender then poured it over Planet of the Apes.

When he buzzed by the statue of liberty I almost expected him to yell "Damn you all the hell!" at least the laugh would have made it worthwhile.

Seriously though, if you thought this movie was good and HAVEN'T seen either 2001 (and 2010), Moon, or the original Planet of the Apes. Do so.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was an ok movie. It was beautiful visually, but it didn't have anything that would make me watch it again.

Also the last line from him "Fuck You, Sally" made me chuckle. So satisfying.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

I watched this the other night and I enjoyed it.

Acting was solid (with the exception of Olga Kurylenko) and the effects were good.

There were a few holes in the plot, but that didn't completely ruin the movie for me. For example: why would the "scavs" not just reveal themselves as human right away? This would alarm the Jack clones right away that something fishy was going on. Morgan Freeman says they disguise themselves to avoid detection and "confuse" the drones with their voice scramblers (why they would need this is beyond me... drones didn't spy on scav conversations, they just shot on sight), but that seems to me just like a cheap excuse to make them seem like aliens in the first half of the movie. In the scene where Jack falls down that hole into the library looking for the broken drone, why didn't the scavs just paint a big sign saying "Hey jack! Scavs are human. The Tet is an evil alien ship. You are a clone. If you don't believe it, go into the radiation area." But then the movie would be over in about half the time.

All in all, 7.5/10
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."