Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moshic View Post
    Wtf, for me it's 4GB/2 mins at 25FPS. I'm guessing you guys have much higher resolutions than 1680*1050.
    1920x1080 is the normal nowadays.

It's when people try recording full 60 fps that it gets stupid huge. Frankly so few video-hosting websites support 60 fps, there's no point.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Rofl. Stop recording at 60 fps genius. Record at 30 or better yet 29.97 fps.
    Youtube's guidelines say 30FPS is best for uploading to their site.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Youtube's guidelines say 30FPS is best for uploading to their site.
    Good to hear, used to be 29.97 lol

For those who don't believe, here's some videos of mine, Fraps paid version, recorded at 29.97 fps, and I think you'll find the quality is next to perfect. What do we have here? The WoW video is a Majordomo 25 man raid kill in Firelands, before I got a 1080p monitor, it's 1680x1050, but I rendered it as a 1080p size video, that's why you'll see black bars.

The newest video is the Del and TI run in between Rifts, and I'm pretty sure there was more than just the group of 20 of us, there was likely at least 5 to 10 more folks just following us for all the experience, as it was just after Storm Legion launch.

Here is how I film and render:

Run game and Fraps off of my Crucial m4 128GB SSD.
    Have Fraps forward the footage to one of my 7200RPM drives.
    Render video with Windows Movie Maker (yup!) which is installed on the SSD and save onto my 5900RPM Cav Green (which actually has significantly better than expected writes and reads).

Very stream-lined, it works out phenomenally. All these people hating on Fraps just don't know how to use it properly and obviously don't understand how bad and pointless it is to try recording at 60 fps or whatever fps your game is getting. Record at 30 fps, full-size, but don't "lock framerate while recording." I chose to not split the movie every 4GB. Just stop recording after a wipe, for instance, go delete the file of it and empty recycle bin. You'll never have space problems.

If you are running a computer with just one HDD or a very small HDD, I would not even say you should be making videos. Get at least one more HDD before bothering, as it is very rough on your computer/single HDD.
    "A flower.

better yet 29.97 fps.
    Better yet to forget outdated shit like 29.97 fps. It's 60 years old artifact from analog video and should never be used for digital media unless the target format is DVD. Fractional framerates just makes framerate conversions unnecessarily difficult.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Better yet to forget outdated shit like 29.97 fps. It's 60 years old artifact from analog video and should never be used for digital media unless the target format is DVD. Fractional framerates just makes framerate conversions unnecessarily difficult.
    Well I was told on these very forums that that was what YouTube supported at the time, I already changed it though. :P
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    I deleted about 400GB of random AVIs and DVD ISOs from my computer that had piled over the years, free free space. Raw fraps capture is about 40GB per 10 minutes so the 400GB space is plenty for whole evening's attempts (except on bosses like Madness of DW or heroic Ragnaros where wipes happen at the end).

It's a matter of priorization really, I'll always choose quality over quantity.
    Yes I'm not whining about disk size at all. I have more than enough storage and I haven't been saying the disk is going to run out of space so. Well how faster your HDD is, how better the quality will be. Fraps quality pretty much relies on how fast the hdd is. I was filling an empty 120GB ssd in a minute orsomething?

Rofl. Stop recording at 60 fps genius. Record at 30 fps.
    Do you even know the difference between recording at 60 fps and encoding it with 30fps and recording at 30fps encoding 30fps?

http://frames-per-second.appspot.com/ Just check it out. Just look and look and look.

If you see that the 2nd ball has just a lot more shadow edges because it has low fps while the 60 has it less.. During recording at 25 or 30 fps you will take those shadow edges as well while recording it at 60 fps you have less edges recorded. Regardless of encoding.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Are you recording to a separate HDD?
    or he could try a second computer and a video card on his main with 2 outputs, or a splitter

completely offload it to another computer is win.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    If you see that the 2nd ball has just a lot more shadow edges because it has low fps while the 60 has it less.. During recording at 25 or 30 fps you will take those shadow edges as well while recording it at 60 fps you have less edges recorded. Regardless of encoding.
    Except that it does not apply to computer games.

There is no motion blur in WoW for example. Seen a setting to add faked motion blur in some 3D shooters but it's not present in fraps captures unless game explicitly adds it during screen rendering. What you actually can do with 60fps is add motion blur to game capture if you want to fake it look more like TV, or you can slow the video down to half speed from 60 to 30 fps and still keep somewhat smooth motion.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you even know the difference between recording at 60 fps and encoding it with 30fps and recording at 30fps encoding 30fps?

http://frames-per-second.appspot.com/ Just check it out. Just look and look and look.

Just look and look and look.

Did you stutter there or break for a moment? I jest.

This is all fine and dandy, and I'd love to record at 60 fps, and I know I can, why do I choose not to?

Again, YouTube only supports up to 30 fps, thus boom, no point. Also, 60 fps will munch on HDD space VERY quickly. I remember how fast I'd recorded about 300GB in May 2011 shortly after building this new computer, and back then I didn't have as much HDD space, I freaked out and a guildie told me to just record at 30 fps. Suddenly it's using a fraction of the space.

Also, you linked something that didn't prove me wrong in any sense really, since I wasn't saying that 60 fps doesn't look nicer, I KNOW IT DOES, I'm not stupid like you think I am.
    "A flower.

Just look and look and look.

Did you stutter there or break for a moment? I jest.

This is all fine and dandy, and I'd love to record at 60 fps, and I know I can, why do I choose not to?

Again, YouTube only supports up to 30 fps, thus boom, no point. Also, 60 fps will munch on HDD space VERY quickly. I remember how fast I'd recorded about 300GB in May 2011 shortly after building this new computer, and back then I didn't have as much HDD space, I freaked out and a guildie told me to just record at 30 fps. Suddenly it's using a fraction of the space.

Also, you linked something that didn't prove me wrong in any sense really, since I wasn't saying that 60 fps doesn't look nicer, I KNOW IT DOES, I'm not stupid like you think I am.
    Honestly I really didn't think or attempted even to think that you're "stupid". With this:" Just look and look and look" was just an ironic joke lol because your eyes can get tired looking to the balls :P

I made earlier a comparison which I forgot to post >.>

1. 30 FPS recorded -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX-3kkb8pkw
    2. 120 FPS recorded -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMfs5JS_92I

Both video's are getting "translated" to 30 fps. Do you notice the smoothness? :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly I really didn't think or attempted even to think that you're "stupid". With this:" Just look and look and look" was just an ironic joke lol because your eyes can get tired looking to the balls :P

I made earlier a comparison which I forgot to post >.>

1. 30 FPS recorded -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX-3kkb8pkw
    2. 120 FPS recorded -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMfs5JS_92I

Both video's are getting "translated" to 30 fps. Do you notice the smoothness? :P
    For one, do you actually have a 120 fps monitor? If not, that's not actually recording 120 fps. 2, there isn't motion blur in games.

Stop.
    "A flower.

For one, do you actually have a 120 fps monitor? If not, that's not actually recording 120 fps. 2, there isn't motion blur in games.

Stop.
    No I don't. But not needed. http://i.imgur.com/1M7du.jpg which is the video file being uploaded.

10+ Year Old Account
    Being that no one had brought up 120 fps, we were strictly talking about 30 and 60 fps... why did you suddenly bring up 120 fps?

I'm not denying that 60 and thus, 120 fps look better than 30 fps. What I am trying to say is that YouTube doesn't support above 30 fps, and trust me, once the videos are rendered and encoded in whatever program you use, and then YouTube has its way with your videos... none of that "extra clarity" or whatever bs you're talking about, will remain.

Besides, don't be silly - this wasn't the OP's original question. He was simply wondering how we record 25 man content without tanking our fps.

Simple: good CPU, more than one HDD/SSD, and a pattern. Also, good video capture programs like Fraps and MSI Afterburner's built-in software. I like to record fully uncompressed raw footage, then encode/render it later. Much less tasking on the CPU.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're planning to do any special effects then 60 fps footage is what you want to import into Vegas/Premier/etc...or even 120 fps. Then you can start doing cool shit like slow-motion (to 30 fps without stuttering) and advanced effects of your liking, without making anything choppy.

But yeah for just straight-up unedited footage 30fps is what you would record at.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Being that no one had brought up 120 fps, we were strictly talking about 30 and 60 fps... why did you suddenly bring up 120 fps?

I'm not denying that 60 and thus, 120 fps look better than 30 fps. What I am trying to say is that YouTube doesn't support above 30 fps, and trust me, once the videos are rendered and encoded in whatever program you use, and then YouTube has its way with your videos... none of that "extra clarity" or whatever bs you're talking about, will remain.

Besides, don't be silly - this wasn't the OP's original question. He was simply wondering how we record 25 man content without tanking our fps.

Simple: good CPU, more than one HDD/SSD, and a pattern. Also, good video capture programs like Fraps and MSI Afterburner's built-in software. I like to record fully uncompressed raw footage, then encode/render it later. Much less tasking on the CPU.
    You'll notice the difference more clear anyway between 30 & 120 than 30 & 60, and what does it matter? I don't see any point you're making a point of this? Rather just asking for arguing.

BS I'm talking. K. What about this then?

Stop.
    A monitor is an output dude.

I've already said that there are much better ways to record than with fraps and still remain to capture at 60 fps which gives you much more smoothness. I get for recording 12mins something like 100GB? At 30 fps should be 50GB, still a major power waste or either time waste if encoding is disturbing your gameplay. Something like Dxtory you record a file of 1.3GB which you can immediately upload to youtube. Remember, youtube drops your uploaded video's quality. So it's a smart choice to upload a bigger file.

Don't see the point of recording with fraps at 50GB orsomething and encoding this to 1.3GB we and uploading this to youtube while you could get that encoded quality immediately from dxtory captured? Still fraps is much more laggy than dxtory and uses a very old codec.

You're just recommending him to use multiple disks (in raid?) which costs a lot for a simple & plaindumb app like Fraps while it's not even needed to get more disks etc.

He has the hardware, advising him to buy better or more is just seriously not being examined enough. A simple green drive was allowing me to write 125MB/s which was perfect. A very old harddrive was pulling 70MB/s which is surely enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't see the point? I can then go into Vegas/whatever and edit the video as I see fit, change the bitrate to whatever I want, do all sorts of crap, MAYBE ADD IN A TITLE! (Heaven's no!)

I said either two HDDs or one SSD and one HDD is optimal and what he should try and use. All I said is that I have a slightly larger setup, one SSD, one HDD for writing the raw footage to, and then one HDD for rendering the completed footage onto.

I suppose if you read what I'd said, you'd have noticed that.

Fraps, game, OS, all installed on -> Crucial m4 128GB
    Fraps records video footage -> WD Caviar Blue 600GB
    WMM/Vegas/etc renders and compresses final video -> WD Caviar Green 1.5TB

Capisce?
    "A flower.

Don't see the point? I can then go into Vegas/whatever and edit the video as I see fit, change the bitrate to whatever I want, do all sorts of crap, MAYBE ADD IN A TITLE! (Heaven's no!)

I said either two HDDs or one SSD and one HDD is optimal and what he should try and use. All I said is that I have a slightly larger setup, one SSD, one HDD for writing the raw footage to, and then one HDD for rendering the completed footage onto.

I suppose if you read what I'd said, you'd have noticed that.

Fraps, game, OS, all installed on -> Crucial m4 128GB
    Fraps records video footage -> WD Caviar Blue 600GB
    WMM/Vegas/etc renders and compresses final video -> WD Caviar Green 1.5TB

Capisce?
    Advise him a 3930x, suits your advise better -_-

Yet you still don't understand that fraps is recording at fullsize realtime quality but depends on the speed of HDD. Do you even know with other recording software you can get from 200K Kbps (which is from Fraps on an average 130MB/s write speed HDD) to 5000/10000 Kbps with dxtory for example? Just one question what's going to be harder on the cpu/HDD, recording at 200K Kbps or 5000/10000. Answer me this plx?

Fraps only uses 2 cores (max 3?), so your golden advise a good cpu (like an example i7) doesn't have any use over his i5. Dxtory utilizes on my i7 8 threads, which can be set to how many you have available. It could use the cores which the game isn't using so recording and gameplay remains pretty smooth with fraps but you could have situations the game & fraps are using the same cores >.>

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...-and-thoughts/

I'm not going to waste my time to ninjaedit videos dude. If you want to change the bitrate, you have to re-encode and could take some time >.<

My point is being: getting better hardware or more disks are pretty much pointless. You're just "overkill recording", 90% of the bitrates is going to be a waste. Use something else instead of fraps.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use an i5-2500K@4.4GHz.

Please, calm yourself. Even when I recorded at 60 fps a year and a half ago, it didn't show any terrible lag in performance while raiding, it just ate up the HDD space much quicker.

AND OH NO!!! Re-encode and take some time?! D:

Dear God! THAT MEANS... EFFORT!

Dude, no one got anywhere without putting in a little bit of effort. Taking a few minutes to render/compress a video to my exact specifications is not that bad. Trust me.
    "A flower.

I use an i5-2500K@4.4GHz.

Please, calm yourself. Even when I recorded at 60 fps a year and a half ago, it didn't show any terrible lag in performance while raiding, it just ate up the HDD space much quicker.

AND OH NO!!! Re-encode and take some time?! D:

Dear God! THAT MEANS... EFFORT!

Dude, no one got anywhere without putting in a little bit of effort. Taking a few minutes to render/compress a video to my exact specifications is not that bad. Trust me.
    A little bit effort? I just could make use of the IGP as acceleration and setting max 1 core in an encoder app and just play my game smoothly. But why should I encode a 100GB file while you could record it at 1GB and immediately upload it?

But let's just end the discussion please :>

I've already said that there are much better ways to record than with fraps and still remain to capture at 60 fps which gives you much more smoothness.
    Youtube's maximum supported fps is 30. it does not matter if you upload 30, 60 or 120fps material there, it all gets downscaled to 30fps.

You will not gain any extra smoothness for simple video uploads, only in editing process if you want to do slow-motions or other fancy stuff.
    Trolling should be.