Page 33 of 65 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by muchtoohigh View Post
    What makes a seed sprout when you put it into this so called rock? Magic?
    You put it into a layer of humus, which came from biological breakdown, not bedrock. It took plants and other organisms breaking down over years to produce soil, some of it does in fact consist of elements of broken down rock. The planet, however, is not a living organism with a layer of life sprouting from its living layer.

So why doesn't it sprout when you hold it in your hand?
    Because your hand isn't an appropriate medium for it to take root in and derive nutrients from?

WHY DOES NOBODY REALIZE THAT...

The fact that some people, like myself, believe in climate change but not the modern interpretation of global warming, does not mean we are against green energy. It's like every time I provide evidence that climate change is due much more to uncontrollable, natural factors and less to human activity, people assume I want to pour tar into our lakes and feed children poison.

It is possible to be pro green energy and still not believe all the hype. Green energy is good regardless of what you believe. It makes the air in cities safer to breathe, makes the water cleaner, etc.

You don't need to blindly side with your political party on everything, you can have beliefs from both sides of the fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    You put it into a layer of humus, which came from biological breakdown, not bedrock. It took plants and other organisms breaking down over years to produce soil, some of it does in fact consist of elements of broken down rock. The planet, however, is not a living organism with a layer of life sprouting from its living layer.
    I wonder where those first plants came from in that case.

*~To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly.~*

If comes back again to the definition of planet. You define planet as everything from the crust down, I define it as everything from the atmosphere down.

---------- Post added 2012-12-11 at 10:51 PM ----------

So why doesn't it sprout when you hold it in your hand?
    You define it incorrectly.

---------- Post added 2012-12-12 at 03:55 AM ----------

They came from green algae, which evolved into mosses that colonized land some 450 million years ago, through biological breakdown these mosses and other such organisms built up a layer of humus that the first forests could take root in.

You define it incorrectly.

---------- Post added 2012-12-12 at 03:55 AM ----------

They came from green algae, which evolved into mosses that colonized land some 450 million years ago, through biological breakdown these mosses and other such organisms built up a layer of humus that the first forests could take root in.
    And the green algae came from....?

Every definition I can find of the word planet indicates that the word means 'celestial body revolving around the sun', which does in fact include the planet's atmosphere.

Every definition I can find of the word planet indicates that the word means 'celestial body revolving around the sun', which does in fact include the planet's atmosphere.
    It doesn't mean the planet is alive....

10+ Year Old Account

Alright. Show me a living rock.

Don't need to be plant-parts it grows from.

I wonder if it isn't possible for a plant to grow in your hand, given time, and water. Maybe dug a bit down your hand, considered it can withstand the body trying to destroy it <.<
    Any that knows or do i have to google?
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

Red algae, which all came from cyanobacteria, which came from others before it. It's evolution for you. Moss growing on the roof of a home doesn't make the home living. Sponges growing on the ocean floor doesn't make the ocean floor alive. The substrate isn't alive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey yah, everyone, every planet in our solar system has been heating up...so yah.
    ON WEDNESDAYS WE WEAR PINK

It's not that I don't believe... it is that I just don't care.....
    "You take 4,994,468 boredom damage from daily quests.... You have died."

Quote Originally Posted by Desareon View Post
    Hey yah, everyone, every planet in our solar system has been heating up...so yah.
    Please go back a few pages.

Red algae, which all came from cyanobacteria, which came from others before it. It's evolution for you. Moss growing on the roof of a home doesn't make the home living. Sponges growing on the ocean floor doesn't make the ocean floor alive. The substrate isn't alive.
    What i'm trying to get at, where did that line cross between the earth being a dead rock and the earth suddenly having the first microorganisms that led to algae that led to plants ect.

If the planet is truly completely dead, I don't see how you can explain the jump to it suddenly producing life. Big bang I guess.

What i'm trying to get at, where did that line cross between the earth being a dead rock and the earth suddenly having the first microorganisms that led to algae that led to plants ect.

If the planet is truly completely dead, I don't see how you can explain the jump to it suddenly producing life. Big bang I guess.
    Being able to "support life" doesn't mean it's "alive." Your car doesn't kill you the moment you step into it, doesn't make it alive.

Yes what is the difference between a rock and a self reproducing and dynamic organism.

I just can't tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Yes what is the difference between a rock and a self reproducing and dynamic organism.

I just can't tell.
    I think it's patience. Rocks can sit still for a lot longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    I think it's patience. Rocks can sit still for a lot longer.
    Checkmate!

The earth didn't suddenly produce life, life probably occurred after chemicals interacted with one another in the form of RNA and then into DNA. So many theories behind it. None of them which state mother earth held out her hand and created the.

I find it curious that in a thread about Global Warming, and one that seems to have jumped another 15 pages since I last looked, no one has discussed the problems with the science that skeptics take issue with - or it seems anyone here understand how the warming is supposed to be being caused. There is a lot of mudslinging going on here with an army of wikipedia nuts from both sides.