Poll: Should America go metric?

Page 25 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Nobody measures bullets in that kind of stupid mix-and-match of decimals and fractions. You use decimal inches.
    Do people actually measure bullets in decimal inches? I always hear 9 MM and such.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

When the rest of the world adopts the metric clock with 10 hours/day then america might think of adopting it, but a time system with 24 hours, 60 min/hour and 60sec/minute makes no sense.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is obvious that both systems should be learned as equal ones so in a generation or two there will be no need to choose - people will just auto-switch to metrics.
    Other way it's too hard a change

10+ Year Old Account
    Officially metric in UK, but we use a hybrid.

I judge long distances in miles, short in metres, everyday item weight in KG's, my weight in stones, I drink pints of beer and measure my manhood in inches.

Quote Originally Posted by BreathTaker View Post
    It is obvious that both systems should be learned as equal ones so in a generation or two there will be no need to choose - people will just auto-switch to metrics.
    Other way it's too hard a change
    well both systems are learned in the US, idk what the rest of the world does not teaching metric to their children.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Why can't we just phase it in? Do it over the course of, say, 20 years?

i would imagine phasing it in would be the best way. start teahing kids both in schools, and slowly change over to metric. it would not be possible to do this over night. would cost far too much money to change over every road sign in the country.

what about the UK? we use MPH instead of KPH aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    i would imagine phasing it in would be the best way. start teahing kids both in schools, and slowly change over to metric. it would not be possible to do this over night. would cost far too much money to change over every road sign in the country.

Both are already taught in US schools.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doktor Faustus View Post
    Officially metric in UK, but we use a hybrid.

I judge long distances in miles, short in metres, everyday item weight in KG's, my weight in stones, I drink pints of beer and measure my manhood in inches.

its annoying we use hybrid really. i know Cm, MM and metres, but then for longer than that i use miles. dont use feet, inchesor yards. and for long distances i have no idea about KM. weird how they teach it in school.

---------- Post added 2012-12-13 at 08:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Both are already taught in US schools.

do the teach the complete of both? or is it like UK where they seem to teach half and half.

10+ Year Old Account

Kids have been taught metric in US schools for a long time now. I learned Metric in I think first or second grade, then again at some other grade level later. I was also taught imperial units of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Kids have been taught metric in US schools for a long time now. I learned Metric in I think first or second grade, then again at some other grade level later.
    yeah all science in the US is done in meters anyway. So you use it all through school into college.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

10+ Year Old Account
    In general the metric system is superior, but for some reason when it comes to height and weight I go to feet, inches, and pounds. Possibly because most sporting fields and courts are designed around these measures and so athletes are likewise measured by them.

10+ Year Old Account
    do the teach the complete of both? or is it like UK where they seem to teach half and half.
    Well we didn't get into the details of what a stone was or a bushel or any of the more arcane measurements, but we were taught pounds alongside kilograms, inches alongside centimeters, fahrenheit alongside celsius, etc. It was actually easier for me to understand how big a centimeter was as a kid because I was told it was about the size of a ladybug or my pinky's fingernail.

I'd say keep the imperial system for the US, it gives us something unique, and it's not a problem for us to learn the metric system when needed because of how easy it is.

Deleted
    Well we didn't get into the details of what a stone was or a bushel or any of the more arcane measurements, but we were taught pounds alongside kilograms, inches alongside centimeters, fahrenheit alongside celsius, etc. It was actually easier for me to understand how big a centimeter was as a kid because I was told it was about the size of a ladybug or my pinky's fingernail.

ah ok. i assumed from this thread that they only taught imperial.

nope pretty much both, But ive never heard stone before these forums but where I live bushels and arces are very common measurements. (agricultural area)
    Gamdwelf the Mage

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah, it's taught to us, but we continue to use imperial in our everyday vernacular. Doesn't mean we don't understand imperial or don't have the ability to convert reasonably. I'm even pretty good at converting fahrenheit temperatures to celsius without having to do calculations because I'm accustomed to both, but that may be because I've spent so much time overseas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    I would prefer the metric system since I've used it a lot but the dating system is not metric. Also Fahrenheit is more useful for everyday situations like the weather. There is too much difference between 5 Celsius degrees, the temperature range in most places would only be +/-20-30 C through the whole year.
    Hmmm, let's see living in Calgary temperatures range from -40 to about 35 degrees Celsius. I lived farther north and the range was -50 to 30ish. Trust me, you notice a 5 degree difference, much less a 70 to 80 degree swing seasonally. Hell, because of chinooks our winter temperatures can range 50 to 60 degrees; and it's VERY noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    If we go metric system can everybody else go with the English language that would be awesome.
    I stopped reading here - because this, right here, is awesome. It's the perfect balance of compromise that shows just how retarded asking 300 million people that have been using the same system for generations, to just change. For no really good reason.

Those who think in metric solely, try thinking in Imperial for a day. That's what you're asking others to do - essentially cold turkey.

For those (Americans) that want to go metric, there's nothing stopping you - even most of our products have both labeled. It's no different than going to Canada and having products written in English and French. Just ignore the one you don't want to deal with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kissme View Post
    Hmmm, let's see living in Calgary temperatures range from -40 to about 35 degrees Celsius. I lived farther north and the range was -50 to 30ish. Trust me, you notice a 5 degree difference, much less a 70 to 80 degree swing seasonally. Hell, because of chinooks our winter temperatures can range 50 to 60 degrees; and it's VERY noticeable.
    He wasn't disagreeing with what you just said.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do people actually measure bullets in decimal inches? I always hear 9 MM and such.
    What do you think .22, .223, .308, .357, .45, and .50 mean?