Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valanna View Post
    I've got to say the most annoying thing is how Swedes are always portrayed with an eastern European accent in Hollywood productions. See Uma Thurman in The Producers for a prime example. I just don't get it, we're not Slavic, damn it.
    The most accurate depiction of a Swedish accent I've seen in any media (apart from actual Swedish people with accents, like Stellan Skarsgård) are the hold guards in Skyrim. Some of them actually sound like they're Swedish, which is great for immersion but somewhat annoying to me since I think the accent sounds absolutely ridiculous.

OnT:
    Kissing on the cheeks: Not really done here. I'm pretty sure this is more common in southern Europe...we're a bit more frigid up north We hug each other a lot though.
    Sleeping together naked: I don't know where anyone would have gotten this from. I have never even heard of anyone doing this.
    Sauna for both sexes: It's been ages since I went to one but I'm pretty sure they're separate, at least at bath houses and such. I can't recall ever being in a sauna with a woman.
    Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lzsg View Post
    The most accurate depiction of a Swedish accent I've seen in any media (apart from actual Swedish people with accents, like Stellan Skarsgård) are the hold guards in Skyrim. Some of them actually sound like they're Swedish, which is great for immersion but somewhat annoying to me since I think the accent sounds absolutely ridiculous.
    Aye, then again, they used a lot of Swedish voice actors. One of the main characters, Esbern, for example is voiced by acclaimed Swedish actor Max von Sydow. The hollywood production of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo has some characters with genuine Swedish accents as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Trolling will result in the loss of your forum posting privileges, and the removal of your genitals with my teeth while I hum Oasis songs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lzsg View Post
    Sauna for both sexes: It's been ages since I went to one but I'm pretty sure they're separate, at least at bath houses and such. I can't recall ever being in a sauna with a woman.
    That's weird o_O I mean I understand the bath houses keeping them separate, but at the cabin or at someones home party, or just a regular saturday night with the family, it's everyone together and not some silly turns.
    Despite us being quite frigid, sauna and nudity between sexes has never been an issue in our nordic corner of the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. True in some countries, mine included. It isn't as common amongst men unless they are very close family or friends.
    2. That's just plain homosexual.
    3. Pretty common to be honest.

Well with the kissing, i know that in France, depending on the regions it's 1 to 5 kisses on the cheeks.
    Here in Belgium it depends, most people on the Walloon side give a kiss to each other or even two.

I am from the Dutch side and we mostly shake hands, or one kiss if it's family or good friends.

I guess this varies a lot between countries and even regions of those countries.

the sleeping in bed naked is just made up.
    I've slept with friends ( I have a double bed lol ) but always with clothes after a party or something.

The sauna thing depends on what sauna you go too, here anyway. But there are some with both sexes together.

It is true that in the US men think it's strange to hug between men ? Because I often Bro-hug good friends.

10+ Year Old Account
    News just in, films aren't real.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookeh View Post
    Yes that happens all over Europe.... including Denmark.
    No, no it does not. And if it does, it is not common and you need to "know a place".
    I like juice

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    News just in, films aren't real.
    Yes they are, I have DVD's proving they exist.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Damsbo View Post
    No, no it does not. And if it does, it is not common and you need to "know a place".
    I don't know how common it is but it happens. It's not "forbidden" so people make their own choices. This is often done with towels still in place but there are places where one "rents" a cabin and they can do what ever they want in it. It's all over Europe really.

Sauna for both sexes is common here, but they aren't naked while in there.
    The quater pounder is called a quarter pounder, but you don't order it with cheese, because that would be redundant.
    I think we have the same "ugh, thats gay"-limit as what I've seen in american movies, but I at a restaurant in greece a guy kissed my cheek (face) to greet us, so I'm not gonna speak for the rest of europe.
    Mother pus bucket!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valanna View Post
    Aye, then again, they used a lot of Swedish voice actors. One of the main characters, Esbern, for example is voiced by acclaimed Swedish actor Max von Sydow. The hollywood production of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo has some characters with genuine Swedish accents as well.
    So that's why he sounded familiar! It was driving me crazy trying to figure out where I'd heard him before.
    Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    the one i find weirdest is the women dont shave in Europe. not sure about the rest of Europe but they do here...
    Its the whole french women don't shave their armpits thing.

Deleted
    Sauna for both sexes and even children is quite common in my country. We after all invented it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Yes they are, I have DVD's proving they exist.
    Well played my good man.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've noticed that in a lot of hollywood films, the phrase "its what the europeans do" is being flinged around a lot.. It's usually utter BS.
    So, you americans, do you actually believe any of that stuff? and europeans, is this an actual thing in your contry? I can only speak for my own, so I wouldn't know for sure.

Examples:
    The kiss on each cheek, even amongst men - I've had someone do that to me, I thought the person was coming on to me.
    The "sleep naked" together as men. Dafuq? Infact, even sleeping together in the same bed as men; weird unless you're drunk.
    The sauna for both sexes.. No way is that happening here.
    Edit; remembered another: "It's normal for people in relationships to sleep with people, other than their girlfriend/wife/reverse."

Feel free to come up with more examples .

Edit. For you people that clearly dont understand; I am not stating these things as facts, merely things I have heard in movies. Movies of which I have not written down for your amusement. Also, wearing towels in saunas = not naked - you're naked UNDERNEATH the towel sure, but by that logic, you're naked all the time.
    When I did my sauna in Estonia, the expectation from the Estonians was that we'd all be naked, and so we were.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    -The kiss on each cheek, even amongst men - I've had someone do that to me, I thought the person was coming on to me.
    It's a common greeting among friends of the opposite sex. Never seen men do it to each other though.

- The "sleep naked" together as men. Dafuq? Infact, even sleeping together in the same bed as men; weird unless you're drunk.
    Nope, never heard of this before.

-The sauna for both sexes.. No way is that happening here.
    Saunas in Germany have a "Textilfrei" rule (germans love rules), which means that you can't wear a bathing suit or towel. You can take a towel in with you but only to sit/lie on. Saunas are also unisex unless stated otherwise.

IDK if other European countries are like this too but Germans tend to be pretty comfortable with nudity. We have nude beaches (FKK) and nudity in public (parks) during the summer (sunbathing) and on tv (even in the middle of the day) is not uncommon.

-"It's normal for people in relationships to sleep with people, other than their girlfriend/wife/reverse."
    100% sure this is not normal...

Deleted
    Edit; remembered another: "It's normal for people in relationships to sleep with people, other than their girlfriend/wife/reverse."
    Where are you getting this stuff? I'd like to know what movie depicts two men sleeping naked together a common european thing?
    And this addition of yours, I reckon europeans think this is more of an american thing..

Stop watching American films than or stop complaining. I mean seriously wtf.

15+ Year Old Account
    The kiss on each cheek, even amongst men - I've had someone do that to me, I thought the person was coming on to me.
    Thats a Normal Thing in France.
    Druid since Feb. 06

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    the one i find weirdest is the women dont shave in Europe. not sure about the rest of Europe but they do here...
    Britain isn't European. You're "one of us".

---------- Post added 2012-12-16 at 11:48 PM ----------

>British People

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1TJnDG61_Y