Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Not true, since federally (read: in all states) any transaction with a business (like a pawn shop) would be recorded.
    massive unproven assumption here.
    And it leads to less ownership if that person selling the firearm sold their only one and the person buying it already has 17. Another massive unproven assumption.
    I may not have anything to prove it, but working around the firearm and law enforcement industry for the past almost 10 years, and with several people who own gun stores, i have never heard of anyone selling their last/only gun. I only know what i see and that is an influx of people buying guns and getting into the shooting sports. What were once very dead shooting ranges, are now almost packed to a point you need to make reservations, and because of it more shooting ranges are opening. Granted, this is all one state. But what do you expect from the state with the most registered machine guns lol.

...and no crimes committed with them.

What used to be a 3 month wait for NFA items like suppressors, machine guns, and short barreled rifles, is now a 9-12 month wait...and that is on a federal level, not per state. I actually spoke with the person doing my last form, and he told me about the stacks and stacks and stacks of them on the floor of his office...and hes just one inspector of about 15 i believe now. I briefly apologized when i realized then it was people like me calling for a status that also hurting the wait times lol.

VA has also seen the biggest jump in people taking shooter safety classes and getting concealed handgun permits.

You can show me all the studies in the world, which all seem to come down to getting their data by simply asking people...Whether they are paranoid about the government taking their guns, dont want to talk about it because the gun debate is so heated, or simply arent about to tell a fucking stranger what they have, more and more people are simply saying "no" when asked if they have guns. I know what I see, and for my state at least, being involved in the political side of things, as well as law enforcement and the gun industry, gun ownership is growing very fast.

either way...the anti gun studies also dont show whether people are hoarding guns and how many first time buyers are making a purchase.
    Last edited by vaeevictiss; 2014-04-01 at 03:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vaeevictiss View Post
    So...you purchase a gun, which is a transaction, meaning you now own it, and those transactions are increasing, meaning there is more ownership, somehow does not equal more ownership?!
    Because someone buying their 15th gun doesn't increase gun ownership rates.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

I'm not arguing your anecdotes or anything else. I'm saying that 'increase in firearm transactions' is not proof of an increase of firearm ownership, especially at a 1:1 ratio as you seem to be implying.

Also, people who are paranoid about people taking their guns are loonies and need to get on some meds, stat. But then I prefer to suggest that, when they say 9/11 was an inside job because jet fuel doesn't burn hot enough, that they have no idea what the chemicals are in the airplanes tanks that make the chem-trails in the sky, maybe that burns super hot.

Yes. Conspiracy theories. The same as 'OBAMA GUNNA TAKE ALL MAI GUNS!'. Brought to you by the NRA. Because Corporations need representation too!
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

I'm not arguing your anecdotes or anything else. I'm saying that 'increase in firearm transactions' is not proof of an increase of firearm ownership, especially at a 1:1 ratio as you seem to be implying.

Also, people who are paranoid about people taking their guns are loonies and need to get on some meds, stat. But then I prefer to suggest that, when they say 9/11 was an inside job because jet fuel doesn't burn hot enough, that they have no idea what the chemicals are in the airplanes tanks that make the chem-trails in the sky, maybe that burns super hot.

Yes. Conspiracy theories. The same as 'OBAMA GUNNA TAKE ALL MAI GUNS!'. Brought to you by the NRA. Because Corporations need representation too!
    I can agree with that...all im trying to say, is neither are the polls that almost all of these studies showing a decrease are based on, because for whatever reason people have to saying no, they are still lying about ownership and skewing the results.

I can agree with that...all im trying to say, is neither are the polls that almost all of these studies showing a decrease are based on, because for whatever reason people have to saying no, they are still lying about ownership and skewing the results.
    Except your 'firearm transaction' stats don't show/prove that at all.

These aren't the droids you are looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Except your 'firearm transaction' stats don't show/prove that at all.

These aren't the droids you are looking for.
    ...and neither do those "polls"...i see we will not ever agree on this lol.

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post

Oh you want data after 2010?

Lol nice try but you linked a different poll.

15+ Year Old Account
    ...and neither do those "polls"...i see we will not ever agree on this lol.
    so you have nothing to back up your claim and simple wave the polls away because people that own guns are notorious liars?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

It says it in the methodology body of the study. Not my fault you can't find it.
    I linked the methodology several times already and asked where it says that, guess I will link it again and you can show me where it says that.

METHODS: We reviewed the police, medical examiner, emergency medical service, emergency department, and hospital records of all fatal and nonfatal shootings in three U.S. cities: Memphis, Tennessee; Seattle, Washington; and Galveston, Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    so you have nothing to back up your claim and simple wave the polls away because people that own guns are notorious liars?
    if thats what you want to call it then sure. Its common sense really. When people who cant prove who they are randomly call your house asking about valuables you own...why tell them?

If someone called asking "Hey were doing a poll, do you have any expensive jewelry and/or miscellaneous irreplaceable valuables laying around your house" would you openly admit to it?

I mean, come on, have people lost all sense of personal security/awareness?

15+ Year Old Account
    if thats what you want to call it then sure. Its common sense really. When people who cant prove who they are randomly call your house asking about valuables you own...why tell them?

If someone called asking "Hey were doing a poll, do you have any expensive jewelry and/or miscellaneous irreplaceable valuables laying around your house" would you openly admit to it?

I dont consider Guns expansive jewelry... you do realise those situations arent the same or comparable
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

People get charged with murder all the time, even when individuals break into the house. Not all states have castle doctrines/stand your ground laws.
    I don't know a single state where you would be charged for murder when shooting an intruder in your own home. Even in the gun control fanatic states like New York you can defend your home, as long as the criminal has actually broken in. You can't assume they're going to.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oujosh29 View Post
    I don't know a single state where you would be charged for murder when shooting an intruder in your own home. Even in the gun control fanatic states like New York you can defend your home, as long as the criminal has actually broken in. You can't assume they're going to.
    In Ohio it extends to your car or truck also. The "Castle" law was passed a few years back. And the House passed HB 203 late last Nov, which states a person does not have to flee any place or area he/she has a lawful right to be in when using self defense. Stand your ground type law. The Senate is expected to pass it too. And with a Republican Gov....
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2014-04-01 at 12:57 PM.

Wow, you can't even link a scientific poll without people thinking it's fake.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oujosh29 View Post
    Whether or not you know about it, these events occur from time to time.
    Eat yo vegetables

I look forward to Byron Smith's life sentence later on this year. The dude is a monster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Wow, you can't even link a scientific poll without people thinking it's fake.
    It's literally the only out they have.

Three separate scientifically conducted polls show that firearm ownership is actually decreasing? They must be lying!
    Eat yo vegetables

Thanks for posting those, haven't heard of them. I know some crazy cases are out there and some stupid prosecutors are out there too. One of the great things about living in Oklahoma, don't have to worry about that. If it happens in my house, I'm safe from prosecution and law suits. Hope it never comes up.

10+ Year Old Account

Yes. Yes they have.

Hell I'd be willing to bet a lot of these special people would give up their social security number and bank info.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

People need guns to protect ourselfs from the government from becoming a tyranny government. These weapons are made so that we the people are in control. Not Liberals like Obama.