Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Looks like the Mass. Senate stripped the may-issue portion out of the bill before sending it back to the House.

What's more interesting is the fact that the Mass. Senate is apparently 90% Democrat (36-4) and yet the amendment stripping the may-issue portion out was voted on with a vast majority (28-10).

Yup, there we go!
    Freedom wins this round.

The fight never ends though.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jugzilla View Post
    Freedom wins this round.

The fight never ends though.
    Yeah. Actually I am not that concerned about losing any of my gun rights under the Constitution. It is a vital part of the American heritage. At the present at least, there are enough sensible people in this country to understand that principle. As far as the Democrats and their recent actions in governing bodies, they are in defense mode at the moment.

Looks like the Mass. Senate stripped the may-issue portion out of the bill before sending it back to the House.

What's more interesting is the fact that the Mass. Senate is apparently 90% Democrat (36-4) and yet the amendment stripping the may-issue portion out was voted on with a vast majority (28-10).

Yup, there we go!
    That puts a feather in my cap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.sacbee.com/2014/07/18/656...n-control.html

I'm glad the legislative process is working in Massachusetts. Even if the may issue section doesnt make it in the final version, there's still a lot of great provisions.

Meanwhile, CA just signed a new bill into law. Closing some loopholes that some law abiding citizens and dealers were taking advantage of. Don't you live there Phaelix?
    Eat yo vegetables

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    I'm glad the legislative process is working in Massachusetts.
    Somehow, I doubt that.
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Meanwhile, CA just signed a new bill into law. Closing some loopholes that some law abiding citizens and dealers were taking advantage of. Don't you live there Phaelix?
    Gov. Jerry Brown announced Friday that he has signed two bills into law that are intended to tighten controls on gun sales and keep firearms out of the hands of criminals and people who have been confined due to mental health issues.

One bill, AB1964, addresses semi-automatic handguns, which can be sold in the state only if they meet safety standards that include not discharging when dropped and exhibit a warning sign when a bullet is in the gun’s chamber before it is fired.

The other bill Brown also approved AB1591, which speeds up how quickly courts must notify the state Department of Justice when determining that someone can no longer legally own a firearm in California because of a criminal violation or mental health commitment.

How does either of these bills help with keeping firearms out of the hands of criminals and people who have been confined due to mental health issues?

10+ Year Old Account
    Stupid and pointless, but not at all unexpected. When the governor vetoed the more comprehensive AB-169 last year, he issued a veto statement including:
    AB 169 would close a loophole in the single-shot exemption. That makes sense.

The bill would also restrict private party off-roster sales to two per year. I do not support restricting sales in this way without evidence that such restrictions would improve public safety.
    This bill is almost a good thing, however. California's "roster of safe handguns" is a joke. Anything that puts more pressure on it is only more likely to lead to the entire system being thrown out.

I'm not sure anyone can realistically make the argument that the roster helps reduce crime or even injury.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure anyone can realistically make the argument that the roster helps reduce crime or even injury.
    Sadly, it did not prevent the death of this woman there http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/po...ed-to-2-heists and I wonder if the AK-47 was legally obtained?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snottiesthorse View Post
    Who on earth does not want to ban this type of weaponry? Abolish this stupid 2nd amendmant, Americans.
    This thread started off with a poll on banning assault weapons, but has been converted into a general gun control discussion board. The 2nd Amendment does address assault weapons specifically, but arms in general. And assault weapons are already heavily regulated by law. The 2nd amendment giving the rights of the people to keep and bear arms is not going to be abolished. No matter what the rest of the world thinks.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jugzilla View Post
    I feel that human beings should never give up, and just do whatever a computer, or indirectly a computer programer says is efficient. I am willing to accept a certain level of death and destruction allowing humans to still drive cars, and all the other stuff we do. Thanks for letting me get that out there while not speeking in the context of firearms :P
    is this only about cars or do you feel the same about trains, ships and airplanes, if so then i fear i have a surprise for you

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    I think you missed the point. If something like Sandy Hook can happen and the President of the United States can knee jerk issues 23 executive orders, why wouldn't our government take steps to eliminate human drivers with the inception of this technology?
    why do you think the government shouldn´t take steps to eliminate human drivers (that sounds awkward)?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

15+ Year Old Account
    I feel like this thread should just die and never come back.

Then I remember it died about 1000 pages ago, and really everyone is just beating the same dead horse because apparently science isn't trustworthy and statistics are best looked at raw. That pretty much sums up about the last 1000 pages of arguments. Oh and we should ignore guns cause cars cause deaths too. Can't forget about that gem of a fallacy.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Gun ownership is an inviolable right in the United States and no amount of distorting statistics or mocking strawmen can dismiss that fact.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahourai View Post
    Gun ownership is an inviolable right in the United States and no amount of distorting statistics or mocking strawmen can dismiss that fact.
    right, that´s why they´re called amendments
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Good luck garnering support to destroy pillars of the Bill of Rights!

10+ Year Old Account
    Which takes a lot of public support to do. Not just the majority in one State, but across the country. As of the present, that support does not exist on amending the 2nd Amendment's basic fundamental human rights.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post

Then I remember it died about 1000 pages ago, and really everyone is just beating the same dead horse because apparently science isn't trustworthy and statistics are best looked at raw. That pretty much sums up about the last 1000 pages of arguments. Oh and we should ignore guns cause cars cause deaths too. Can't forget about that gem of a fallacy.
    No one is twisting your arm to read this thread or post in it. Personally I welcome your input however.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Which takes a lot of public support to do. Not just the majority in one State, but across the country. As of the present, that support does not exist on amending the 2nd Amendment's basic fundamental human rights.
    am i missing something here?

not being easy isn´t equal to inviolable

10+ Year Old Account
    am i missing something here?

not being easy isn´t equal to inviolable
    Well. That is a good point. It is possible. But highly unlikely within our life time to the point of just about impossible. Support for gun rights is just that strong in the US. In reference to the basic right to keep and bear arms. However more support for stricter gun laws are growing. And if they are reasonable , most Americans would support them I believe.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2014-07-22 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem
    why do you think the government shouldn´t take steps to eliminate human drivers (that sounds awkward)?
    See, I asked you why you think they wouldn't try to pass that sort of legislation, given the track record of the US on other bills.

Thanks for answering my question with a question.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem
    Not sure you understand how Amending the constitution works here in the US.

1. Two thirds of the house or senate have to vote in support.

-Or-

2. Two thirds of the states can call for a convention.

-THEN-

Three quarters of the states have to ratify the vote.

Basically, you have to win a supermajority vote twice to pass an amendment. It's tough enough just to get a bill through the house and senate, let alone an amendment. In fact, there's a movement going on in the US right now to call for a convention on money in politics. So far only two states have garnered enough support for a convention to try and pass an amendment (California and Vermont). There are 48 other states in the US. This means they need another 31 to support the amendment and 38 to ratify it.

How long do you think it will take for that to happen? Mind you, this is a vote to regulate the amount of money which can be spent on campaign elections so that your Average Joe can run for office without having a billion dollars to spend on his campaign. The reason they are trying to get a convention going is because they could never get a two thirds majority from congress or the senate. Not in a government where money decides the outcome of 98% of elections. That's like trying to win a marathon after sawing off both your feet.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post

Rather than voicing your opinion, you could simply just stop reading the thread, which would solve your problem completely.

15+ Year Old Account
    http://www.examiner.com/article/clas...ti-gun-efforts

wow that gun control movement suffering another set back
    Well then get your shit together.
    Get it all together. And put it in a backpack. All your shit. So it’s together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the shit store and sell it, or put it in a shit museum, I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
    Get your shit together