Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    yes, that must mean soda is addicting

you could of course read the links provided on the last few pages, or just continue to be wrong on a level barely comprehensible
    If you can explain how I'm wrong without throwing out the 'just read ma links becuz science' phrase anytime you don't agree with someone, maybe we could have a conversation.

If not, you'll likely find yourself on ignore just like certain other time wasters here on MMO champ, and there won't be any further conversation between us anyway.

that will come as a relief for all the addicts around the world, you´re not addicted to the substance or the changes it has on your body, nope, you´re just bad at making decisions, that´s it
    Withdrawal symptoms are a set of choices? Heh.

- - - Updated - - -

yes, that must mean soda is addicting

you could of course read the links provided on the last few pages, or just continue to be wrong on a level barely comprehensible
    We could link him the definition of physical dependence, but you know how he feels about dictionaries...

This is what happens when people with a pre-school level understand of human biology try to act snarky smart.

lol hamburgers make you fat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Guys, time to take a break. The last page or so has veered way off topic for the thread. There's been almost no discussion on gun control, shifting to substance addiction. Steer back on track and resume at your leisure.

Rep. Diane Black (R-TN) introduced in the US House of Representatives on Thursday the FIREARM Act that seeks to prevent the US government from requiring “any person to disclose the race or ethnicity of the person in connection with the transfer of a firearm to the person.”
    http://black.house.gov/sites/black.h...CK_054_xml.pdf
    http://ronpaulinstitute.org/archives...d-privacy.aspx

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Rep. Diane Black (R-TN) introduced in the US House of Representatives on Thursday the FIREARM Act that seeks to prevent the US government from requiring “any person to disclose the race or ethnicity of the person in connection with the transfer of a firearm to the person.”
    http://black.house.gov/sites/black.h...CK_054_xml.pdf
    http://ronpaulinstitute.org/archives...d-privacy.aspx
    Why would they want to know? Is this being required now? Seems to me the same thing as asking what race you are if get a loan or are buying a house, which is illegal. Should I have to disclose what race of the person I am selling my house or automobile to for the local authorities?

In recent history they (ATF) added "Are you Hispanic? Yes or No." section to the forms when purchasing a gun. This is in addition to the the check boxes for your ethnicity that had already been there.

They want to know for some reason.

God knows why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    In recent history they (ATF) added "Are you Hispanic? Yes or No." section to the forms when purchasing a gun. This is in addition to the the check boxes for your ethnicity that had already been there.
    It's not entirely new. It's been this way since April 2012.

And the question about ethnicity is the Hispanic/not Hispanic question. The other question is about race. I'm told it's this way on all federal forms, now. My guess is that there was a lawsuit or something, because now they consider Hispanic to be a cultural, not a racial distinction. Hispanics are generally now considered to be a part of the White (Caucasian) race.

That part doesn't bother me as much as the fact that when they made the move to two questions, they took out the Other (fill in the blank) option for race.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    It's not entirely new. It's been this way since April 2012.

And the question about ethnicity is the Hispanic/not Hispanic question. The other question is about race. I'm told it's this way on all federal forms, now. My guess is that there was a lawsuit or something, because now they consider Hispanic to be a cultural, not a racial distinction. Hispanics are generally now considered to be a part of the White (Caucasian) race.

That part doesn't bother me as much as the fact that when they made the move to two questions, they took out the Other (fill in the blank) option for race.
    Interesting. I can not see why they would want to know because of a law suit. Who would file such a one? It could be they want the info for tracking purposes. My driver license does not have said info on it. The photo is there I guess which could indicate what race or ethnicity, but then it could be misleading also. Just bugs me a right to keep and bear arms has such a requirement when transferring or selling a weapon legally. I understand the need for forms, but the requirement for ethnicity or race serves no purpose other than better tracking. Which when dealing with a Constitutional right should not matter at all. Makes it understandable why congressman Black introduced the bill.

They want to know for some reason.

God knows why.
    Because there is "white" and "white Hispanic" and when they take piles and likes of paperwork they want to know which you are.

There is a ton of information collected and they care which type of white you are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Giscoicus View Post
    Because there is "white" and "white Hispanic" and when they take piles and likes of paperwork they want to know which you are.

There is a ton of information collected and they care which type of white you are.
    But why should it matter is the real concern? You should not be able to get a legal ID such as a driver's license without having a SS number anyway. And if you are not a illegal immigrant, then I see no reason they should have that info or need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    But why should it matter is the real concern? You should not be able to get a legal ID such as a driver's license without having a SS number anyway. And if you are not a illegal immigrant, then I see no reason they should have that info or need to.
    The government uses it for something. My guess is that compiling as much information as possible is a way to help researchers, rather than making a researcher go an collect the information the government has it collected ten fold and ready to be analyzed.

The government uses it for something. My guess is that compiling as much information as possible is a way to help researchers, rather than making a researcher go an collect the information the government has it collected ten fold and ready to be analyzed.
    Still should be optional, like pretty much every other time race is queried.

Although the text is vague, does "to prevent" mean "stop altogether" or "not force"?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you are correct. The reasons why however, may be political, rather than something which is really important. No matter what, it is once again a step taken by the government to keep tabs on citizens and is another attempt by big government in overstepping their need to know. What is next...farmers buying fertilizer having to fill out a federal form indicating what ethnic culture I belong to? Or when you go to buy electrical wire at Lowe's, having to do the same because God forbid I could be using the wire to make a bomb. :P

Ah sorry, couldn't remember the exact wording. Could just remember it was a somewhat redundant and bizarre question. Asking about race related information twice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    No matter what, it is once again a step taken by the government to keep tabs on citizens and is another attempt by big government in overstepping their need to know.
    Keep in mind, the 4473 form and its contents are not "looked over" by government unless there's a criminal check that leads the ATF to a specific record, so it's closer to a "need to know" situation.

At least, unless the government decides to create a registry from all those records...

Asking about race related information twice.
    The ethnicity question is more of a cultural distinction rather than a racial one, though it's true that most Hispanic people are also considered White. Which is why you see federal statistics now breaking it down into "Hispanic Whites" and "Non-Hispanic Whites" when they post those statistics.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Keep in mind, the 4473 form and its contents are not "looked over" by government unless there's a criminal check that leads the ATF to a specific record, so it's closer to a "need to know" situation.

I don't care if they call me paranoid.

But at least Im not naive! (aka: calling bullshit!)

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Still should be optional, like pretty much every other time race is queried.

Although the text is vague, does "to prevent" mean "stop altogether" or "not force"?
    The information is collected as part of the description for the background check. Name, date of birth, race, sex is required, social security number is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    The information is collected as part of the description for the background check. Name, date of birth, race, sex is required, social security number is optional.
    That's like...backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    That's like...backwards.
    I'm pretty sure there's a conflict with a social security number being used on a federal form as an identification number or whatnot. Couldn't tell you the actual law offhand.