Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

yep i can just see the line of people now waiting to register their firearms. All those law abiding criminals registering their firearms is gonna reduce the crime rate for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorehowl View Post
    yep i can just see the line of people now waiting to register their firearms. All those law abiding criminals registering their firearms is gonna reduce the crime rate for sure.
    Actually since a felon can't legally possess a firearm, registering such a firearm would be self-incrimination. A felon could not be convicted of failure to register for that reason. (Though, still a felon in possession of a gun.)
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

all a registration would do is turn a bunch of people into criminals because almost every person i know would refuse to register. myself included.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    That´s uhm, about 30% gun ownership rate. That´s comparable to other countries who manage to do that.
    You're probably one those that say it would be impossible to round up 30 million illegals aren't you?

Pretty much the same group of people saying it's possible to enforce a law to register/inspect/confiscate firearms from 100 million that say it's impossible to round up 1/3 as many illegals.

Ok, i don´t know if you have other statistics that show something else but according to GSS household gun ownership is in steady decline since the 90s. The average number of guns a gun owner owns however almost doubled since then.
    Or in this political climate, especially after (funny enough as it corresponds with the 90s...) the Clinton AWB, people are opting not to volunteer their gun ownership contents in their possession.

Why do people ignore such an obvious glaring hole in any data stating gun ownership is down? I would take that data with a shovel of salt.

This goes back to what, the 50s or 60s as I recall? As the years go by more and more people are like "fuck that Im not telling you what I own voluntarily". And with each passing event with call for more gun control those fucks are getting more and more.
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2016-03-01 at 03:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That´s uhm, about 30% gun ownership rate. That´s comparable to other countries who manage to do that.
    US gun ownership rates are not comparable to any other country, sorry.

Ok same numbers, what exactly has the proliferation part to do with any of this?
    Not much, which is why I said "despite the proliferation" in my original statement. But several people in this thread have tried to suggest that more guns in circulation would lead to more suicides, because they figured that people would invariably choose a firearm as the method of suicide if one were around. And yet despite increased numbers of firearms in circulation people are less and less likely to choose a firearm for the deed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    Seems as though you have nothing to refute what I said, it's not your fault, it's pretty evident that this is the case for today's firearm manufacturers.
    It's not evident because it's not true. But please, feel free to find some advertisements, posts, speeches, etc. from the gun industry that support your claim that they're pushing fear to sell guns.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    If you require all firearms to be registered, then it would impact me to the point it would be something not needed. Unnecessary procedure.:P I have the right to have a firearm and to carry it. No other thing needs to be done for me to exercise that right. Of course some restrictions can exist in some scenarios. Personally I agree with the states which require no permit needed to carry a firearm ether openly or concealed such as Vermont and Kansas have. Those are pure examples of exercising your right as the Constitution intended.
    Wait, so nothing would change, but you´re still against it because 2nd amendment?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    US gun ownership rates are not comparable to any other country, sorry.
    Do we have actual numbers that compare household gun ownership or are we estimating based on guns in circulation?

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Not much, which is why I said "despite the proliferation" in my original statement. But several people in this thread have tried to suggest that more guns in circulation would lead to more suicides, because they figured that people would invariably choose a firearm as the method of suicide if one were around. And yet despite increased numbers of firearms in circulation people are less and less likely to choose a firearm for the deed.
    I don´t get the logic behind this. Why would a person with 8 guns be more likely to commit suicide by use of firearm than one with only 2 guns? Who here tried to suggest more guns in circulation would lead to more suicide and not more households with guns would lead to more suicide by firearm. Because in the second case the numbers add up. Less households with guns and less suicide by use of firearm.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thwart View Post
    You're probably one those that say it would be impossible to round up 30 million illegals aren't you?

Pretty much the same group of people saying it's possible to enforce a law to register/inspect/confiscate firearms from 100 million that say it's impossible to round up 1/3 as many illegals.
    I have no idea what in the world you´re talking about.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Or in this political climate, especially after (funny enough as it corresponds with the 90s...) the Clinton AWB, people are opting not to volunteer their gun ownership contents in their possession.

Why do people ignore such an obvious glaring hole in any data stating gun ownership is down? I would take that data with a shovel of salt.

This goes back to what, the 50s or 60s as I recall? As the years go by more and more people are like "fuck that Im not telling you what I own voluntarily". And with each passing event with call for more gun control those fucks are getting more and more.
    What if everyone lied could go both ways, you know that, right? Also usually surveys do account for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Wait, so nothing would change, but you´re still against it because 2nd amendment?

- - - Updated - - -

Do we have actual numbers that compare household gun ownership or are we estimating based on guns in circulation?

I don´t get the logic behind this. Why would a person with 8 guns be more likely to commit suicide by use of firearm than one with only 2 guns? Who here tried to suggest more guns in circulation would lead to more suicide and not more households with guns would lead to more suicide by firearm. Because in the second case the numbers add up. Less households with guns and less suicide by use of firearm.

- - - Updated - - -

I have no idea what in the world you´re talking about.

- - - Updated - - -

What if everyone lied could go both ways, you know that, right? Also usually surveys do account for that.
    Mayhem, I have a question. Are you willing to die for your belief to get rid of the 2nd amendment?

I mean if you're commitment to abolish the 2nd amendment, then just come and take them. Why wait? Are you willing to put others lives at stake for your belief? It makes no sense to risk other's lives when you feel as strongly as you do.

I believe people with anti-gun sentiments who believe that the 2nd amendment needs to be abolished should take matters into their own hands and molan labe, and stop expecting others to do it for them.
    Last edited by Deathcries; 2016-03-01 at 07:18 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathcries View Post
    Mayhem, I have a question. Are you willing to die for your belief to get rid of the 2nd amendment?

I mean if you're commitment to abolish the 2nd amendment, then just come and take them. Why wait? Are you willing to put others lives at stake for your belief? It makes no sense to risk other's lives when you feel as strongly as you do.

I believe people with anti-gun sentiments who believe that the 2nd amendment needs to be abolished should take matters into their own hands and molan labe, and stop expecting others to do it for them.
    Well, it would be weird if my country started a war with the US to abolish the 2nd amendment, just so that there can be meaningful firearm regulation put in place, don´t you think?
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Well, it would be weird if my country started a war with the US to abolish the 2nd amendment, just so that there can be meaningful firearm regulation put in place, don´t you think?
    Oh, so you don't even live here? Just want to make rules for another country to mirror your own, correct?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathcries View Post
    Oh, so you don't even live here? Just want to make rules for another country to mirror your own, correct?
    No, i´m discussing gun control with people from around the world, the pros and cons.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorehowl View Post
    all a registration would do is turn a bunch of people into criminals because almost every person i know would refuse to register. myself included.
    This. "sorry officer, I must have lost my gun." Serve 30 some days in jail, now I get to keep my weapon without them knowing about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    This. "sorry officer, I must have lost my gun." Serve 30 some days in jail, now I get to keep my weapon without them knowing about it.
    But I thought the vast majority of gun owners were responsible, law abiding citizens?

- - - Updated - - -

I've never seen ownership rates from other countries, so I think he was referring to number of guns per capita. Not the same thing as ownership rates.
    Eat yo vegetables

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    But I thought the vast majority of gun owners were responsible, law abiding citizens?

- - - Updated - - -

I've never seen ownership rates from other countries, so I think he was referring to number of guns per capita. Not the same thing as ownership rates.
    We are. But registering guns is not something most gun owners believe in. They believe its unconstitutional and will do what they can to protect their right to own guns. The fear is that registration is the first step towards confiscation. I get what you are trying to do, but im not buying it.

10+ Year Old Account
    We are. But registering guns is not something most gun owners believe in. They believe its unconstitutional and will do what they can to protect their right to own guns. The fear is that registration is the first step towards confiscation. I get what you are trying to do, but im not buying it.
    So you're responsible and law abiding, as long as you personally agree with the laws. Got it.
    Eat yo vegetables

So you're responsible and law abiding, as long as you personally agree with the laws. Got it.
    Im glad you understand. im sure you follow 100% of laws and have never done anything wrong in the eyes of the law. Im done arguing against something I never said btw. Attack someone else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im glad you understand. im sure you follow 100% of laws and have never done anything wrong in the eyes of the law. Im done arguing against something I never said btw. Attack someone else.
    You said you would break federal law in order to keep your firearms. It's clear as day. "Serve 30 some days in jail, now I get to keep my weapon without them knowing about it."

Then you insinuated that the reason for doing so is that you do not "believe" in registration, and you "believe" it's unconstitutional.

Courts have found it to be constitutional, by the way. So anyone defying a registration law is neither patriotic, responsible, or law abiding.
    Eat yo vegetables

You said you would break federal law in order to keep your firearms. It's clear as day. "Serve 30 some days in jail, now I get to keep my weapon without them knowing about it."

Then you insinuated that the reason for doing so is that you do not "believe" in registration, and you "believe" it's unconstitutional.

Courts have found it to be constitutional, by the way. So anyone defying a registration law is neither patriotic, responsible, or law abiding.
    That's great man. I never argued that most gun owners follow the law 100% of the time. Until you can find a post of me saying that, please stop acting like I said that.

- - - Updated - - -

Im going shooting today. Just bought 200 rounds of birdshot, 180 clays. Taking a friend with me today that has only been shooting once. I bought some buckshot and slugs so he can see how they feel. Cant wait to see him shoot the slug. Hoping it throws him on his ass lol.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -
    What part of unnecessary procedure did you not understand? It would not work. People here do not trust the government that much. Esp when they think it may give them too much power to remove a right. The truth is there are some here which hate the 2nd Amendment and if they could, would have it removed or reworded to mean something else. So, why quietly go along with a system which would threaten that? A lot of people will not. In the end it would have very little impact on the criminals committing crimes with a firearm.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    What part of unnecessary procedure did you not understand? It would not work. People here do not trust the government that much. Esp when they think it may give them too much power to remove a right. The truth is there are some here which hate the 2nd Amendment and if they could, would have it removed or reworded to mean something else. So, why quietly go along with a system which would threaten that? A lot of people will not. In the end it would have very little impact on the criminals committing crimes with a firearm.
    Ok, back to "they will take our guns", i see.