Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Certainly they could amend HIPAA as it relates to LEO/ background checks. Or, possibly, there could be a method for NICS to use the current HIPAA allowed system to access information. I'm pretty sure an agency needs a warrant for HIPAA shielded info, so give NICS the ability to get a warrant given information otherwise available or... something.

And thus, "compromise" proves futile. "Once we squeze out every right we can now, we wait a little bit and try for more" is a long standing tradition.

That said though, same as I asked the other guy:
    If firearms such as AR15's had full registration with background checks and licensing and storage requirements, would you have a problem with them at all?
    I'd be okay with mental health data being used in NICS on a must-report pass/fail system. The psychiatrist is obligated by law to report mental disorders known to be at risk for violent behavior even without an immediate risk to the patient or others. The gun shop owner knows he can't sell, but not the specific details of the customer's mental issues.

I personally have no objections to the AR-15. Its a mean looking gun comparable in power to many, many other less mean looking guns.

With your listed caveats, I'm fine with whatever guns you want that are currently legal. Registration being key, which will never pass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiganon View Post
    Registration being key, which will never pass.
    Registration is unnecessary, though I understand that many people think that it sounds like a good idea.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    And how exactly would they know that?
    So you are telling me you can concealcarry a really hot summerday without anyone know you carry?

Quote Originally Posted by Deianeira View Post
    So you are telling me you can concealcarry a really hot summerday without anyone know you carry?
    People do it all the time. Ultimately about wardrobe, weapon, and holster choice.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Of course you can. Depends on the firearm you pick and how you dress. My little .380, tucked inside a ( inside ) waist band holster, and a T-shirt un-tucked over it, you will not see it. Even wearing a loose fitting tank top, you would not see it.

- - - Updated - - -

I though some of you might be interested in this video, with the recent talk and news about the Fla shooting.

Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2018-03-13 at 12:16 PM.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Registration is unnecessary, though I understand that many people think that it sounds like a good idea.
    Registration means that the government is aware of who owns what guns and where those guns are. Registration means that if a firearm is lost or stolen and not immediately reported to the authorities, the owner could reasonably be charged with gross negligence or a specific firearms-related negligence charge.

Registration was also mentioned by the poster I was replying to - would I be OK with the AR-15 if there was registration/background checks/licensing/storage requirements? The answer is yes, with those requirements, including registration, which will never pass unless congressional Republicans make an about face on gun rights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Registration means that the government is aware of who owns what guns and where those guns are. Registration means that if a firearm is lost or stolen and not immediately reported to the authorities, the owner could reasonably be charged with gross negligence or a specific firearms-related negligence charge.

Registration was also mentioned by the poster I was replying to - would I be OK with the AR-15 if there was registration/background checks/licensing/storage requirements? The answer is yes, with those requirements, including registration, which will never pass unless congressional Republicans make an about face on gun rights.
    Which is why a lot of present owners would never abide by a new law requiring such. Registration for new gun purchases after a starting date? Yep. It would work and I am not opposed to such.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Registration is going to be a non-starter for a lot of folks. The serial number is recorded on any FFL transfer, that is probably as good as it is going to get.

I honestly don't like Glocks very much, but I am tempted on general principles to complete an 80% lower. I could never legally transfer it, but it is very satisfying to have a DIY gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    People do it all the time. Ultimately about wardrobe, weapon, and holster choice.
    I do all the time
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

10+ Year Old Account
    Registration means that the government is aware of who owns what guns and where those guns are.
    Current forms of registration mean that the government knows who should own the firearm, but certainly not where the firearm is located. Any attempt to try to mandate a location update to the government every time it is moved would be completely unfeasible.

Registration means that if a firearm is lost or stolen and not immediately reported to the authorities, the owner could reasonably be charged with gross negligence or a specific firearms-related negligence charge.
    First, the government would really never know if it was missing unless it turned up somewhere. And then they'd still have to prove gross negligence, which would be virtually impossible. And that's assuming they're even interested in prosecuting someone for being the victim of a crime (which they really never do), especially if they have another criminal to prosecute; ostensibly, the reason they even found the missing gun was that it was used in a crime and left behind).

- - - Updated - - -

Why not? And we're not talking about being outdoors in 110 degree weather. We're talking about being in a classroom 95% of the time. And teachers tend to dress somewhat conservatively, anyway, which would tend to not reveal as much skin as you're seeming to imply.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

I live in Florida, it's pretty normal.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

All the weather really does is affect what you can conceal and how you conceal it. Lots of every day carriers have different kits completely for warm and cold weather seasons.

I'd be okay with mental health data being used in NICS on a must-report pass/fail system. The psychiatrist is obligated by law to report mental disorders known to be at risk for violent behavior even without an immediate risk to the patient or others. The gun shop owner knows he can't sell, but not the specific details of the customer's mental issues.
    I think one of the main problems they have now is that similar to "arrest but no charges" things. If you get arrested for a felony, but no charges are ever filed, the arresting agency might update the arrest correctly but no one updates the disposition. So the agency can check into it for more information.

So lets say someone was held for observation. That may show, but then it may not show whether the person was actually committed against their will or adjudication or anything. But, the agency can't research that information. If it's not present, that's that. They have no further information so must release the gun. Innocent until proven guilty.
    I don't think that really happens very often, I think was more common is something like the teacher that shot a gun in a school a couple weeks ago. He was suicidal and whatever, police were called. They took him to a mental ward or whatever, but they didn't want to ruin the guys life by having him committed, so he signed himself in. Agencies wanted to be nice. Luckily he didn't hurt anyone, but these kind of things (like no contest/ adjudication withheld) happen frequently. Especially with domestic violence situations.

With your listed caveats, I'm fine with whatever guns you want that are currently legal. Registration being key, which will never pass.
    I don't see it passing any time soon and even if it did you'd have so many difficulties with the system it'd be worthless for quite a while.

The main hindrance of course being that other times with registration (Cali "assault weapons" and federal machineguns), they just followed along with out right bans anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Registration is going to be a non-starter for a lot of folks. The serial number is recorded on any FFL transfer, that is probably as good as it is going to get.

I honestly don't like Glocks very much, but I am tempted on general principles to complete an 80% lower. I could never legally transfer it, but it is very satisfying to have a DIY gun.
    Depending on state laws, you could sell it. It really comes down to intent, you can't manufacture it with the intent to sell it. A serial number is not required, but I etched one into the plate anyway. A lawyer used to always say "you might beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride". I'd rather not be arrested while some folks figure out if it's legal or not without serial numbers. The Polymer80 gives some markings on it for their company which are meaningless, but would pass casual inspection for manufacturers markings.

But, really, polymer80's are boringly easy. I did one as a tinker-job since I'd bought a barrel on black friday and a slide was on sale. I already had a bunch of parts to complete it.

80% AR's aren't hard, but they're messy. Aluminum filings go everywhere. You also spend a lot of money for the fixtures and stuff and still run the risk of one mis-drill ruining the project. Main reason, aside from tinkering, was to be able to engrave whatever markings I wanted rather than some of the stupid graphics folks put on their lowers.

I haven't tried the 1911 frame, looks neat, but aluminum and not-anodized I think... eh. Again, more money than just getting something already made.

Lastly of course, while it's legal for you to sell it, you probably wouldn't be able to anyway, who wants Stormdash's dremelbuilt glock for the same price as a Glock brand glock. :-p

I wish there were polymer80s for the M&P series, or a P99.

I wish there were polymer80s for the M&P series, or a P99.
    I did see an 80% SIG320 thing somewhere, but I think it requires bigger hardware than home tools.

I did see an 80% SIG320 thing somewhere, but I think it requires bigger hardware than home tools.
    Yeah, I'd go with a glock before the 320, if I want a Sig I'll get a real Sig... by which I mean one with a hammer.

Yeah, I'd go with a glock before the 320, if I want a Sig I'll get a real Sig... by which I mean one with a hammer.
    I've got a SIG M11-A1 (228) since I always liked them. I also have a Beretta APX which is a superior gun to the 320 in nearly every way. The 320 has had so many issues, I doubt I'll get one ever. BUT, B&T has a module for the frame to make it an SBR, so never say never.

I'm a DA/SA guy, but I can't find one that's "just right". Have a full size Px4 right now. If I was into strikers the APX looks solid.

SIG's SRT trigger setup is great, otherwise I prefer the Beretta 92fs, but they're big. CZ is supposed to have nice triggers but I've never really played with them a lot.

I've got a SIG M11-A1 (228) since I always liked them. I also have a Beretta APX which is a superior gun to the 320 in nearly every way. The 320 has had so many issues, I doubt I'll get one ever. BUT, B&T has a module for the frame to make it an SBR, so never say never.
    I'd bet a dollar that's not a 228. It might have 228 grips, but that frame/barrell is almost certainly a 229. Check that barrell, is it stamped 229-1?
    If you claim to support the second amendment, and have to qualify it with preconditions, you don't support the second amendment.