Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    The rest of the developed world disagrees with you.
    Again, none of which of gun ownership. Rest of the world is irrelevant.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    say's the guy living in the only country where gun violence of this type and scale happens on a regualr basis. it's not like the rest of world doesn't indulge in our love of violence in media but for some BIZZARE reason, do not suffer from the same epidemic of violence. it couldn't possibly be the laws on the books that do that, no, just lie or act dumb about all the other countries that had mass shooting's, did the some legislation and suddenly they haven't happened since. it must be magic. you've figured it out Linkedblade, IT'S FUCKING MAGIC.
    Yes, the only country where you're allowed to have the tools to defend yourself and have the actual right to defend yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    That's why it was called a compromise. Half the framers didn't want to legalize slavery in the constitution, but it was either legalize it and unite or be divided and conquered.
    That's not what the 3/5 compromise was about, at all. Stop pushing historical revisionism.

I'm not. Gun control laws don't work, discuss another solution.
    No. You have literally nothing to back up your position, while I have "basically every study done on the subject and the lived experience of basically every single developed nation other than the USA" to back my own.

Endus swears by the canadian style which is exactly that.
    1> No, I don't. Where'd I do that? I have issues with the specifics, here. In fact, the newest step forward we're trying to pass through Parliament has a handgun freeze that I've been supporting for years. But it's not law yet. So clearly, I wasn't satisfied by the current state of things.

2> Even if Bill C-21 passes as it stands now, that's still not the way Canadian gun control works. There is no blanket ban. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Again, none of which of gun ownership. Rest of the world is irrelevant.
    Which, again, remains the fucking point.

I'm genuinely confused as to how you seem unable to connect those two dots, they're literally the only two dots to connect.

"Gun control" doesn't mean "ban all guns", it never has.

Are guns banned in Canada?

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/ar...tions-answered

Nope, doesn't look like it.

Find a new strawman.
    This isn't just about the handgun freeze. It's the repeat attacks on their right to own them, too. The ban a few years ago. The multiple cases where ownership is locked behind paywalls and time. Then the insane laws on how to keep them. Which practically makes owning them useless and the right illegal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, the only country where you're allowed to have the tools to defend yourself and have the actual right to defend yourself.
    Know what life's like in a country where we have gun control?

I never have a need to defend myself, because I'm not under constant threat.

You're literally pointing to the exact problem, and you can't see it.

Which, again, remains the fucking point.

I'm genuinely confused as to how you seem unable to connect those two dots, they're literally the only two dots to connect.

"Gun control" doesn't mean "ban all guns", it never has.
    When you keep saying "the rest of the world" you mean "ban all guns."

10+ Year Old Account
    This isn't just about the handgun freeze. It's the repeat attacks on their right to own them, too. The ban a few years ago. The multiple cases where ownership is locked behind paywalls and time. Then the insane laws on how to keep them. Which practically makes owning them useless and the right illegal.
    Nobody has any "right" to own a firearm, in Canada. Nor should they.

It's like claiming a "right" to enslave people. Sometimes, things shouldn't be a "right".

1. You're allowed to own guns in most developed nations, just with strict limitations.

2. Guns are not the only tool for self defense.

3. You're legally allowed to defend yourself in these countries.

4. There's less need for a firearm for protection in these countries given the reduced risk of gun-related violence.

This is basically, "America is the only nation with freedom!" levels of propaganda.

- - - Updated - - -

Yet they're not banned, so your strawman about Canada banning guns is just that, a dishonest strawman.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Know what life's like in a country where we have gun control?

I never have a need to defend myself, because I'm not under constant threat.

You're literally pointing to the exact problem, and you can't see it.
    No one ever said constant threat. But if a threat occurs, you should be able to have the ability to defend yourself.

cool. so tell me how you love stories about children being massacred. I guess the tree of liberty needs to be watered with the blood of elementary school kids.

Literally don't, but if you want to make arguments on my behalf I can't stop you. I'll just point out that I'm not making the arguments you want me to make.

10+ Year Old Account
    Those are two wildly different arguments, and in basically no country does gun control laws boil down to "all guns are banned".

You're pushing disinformation propaganda. Giant piles of steaming bullshit without any basis in reality.

- - - Updated - - -

No one ever said constant threat. But if a threat occurs, you should be able to have the ability to defend yourself.
    And I do! Self-defense is a protected right in Canada (and most countries).

You continue to not know what you're talking about.

But if a threat occurs, you should be able to have the ability to defend yourself.
    Can I legally create and use claymore mines to protect myself from home invaders?

1. You're allowed to own guns in most developed nations, just with strict limitations.

2. Guns are not the only tool for self defense.

3. You're legally allowed to defend yourself in these countries.

4. There's less need for a firearm for protection in these countries given the reduced risk of gun-related violence.

This is basically, "America is the only nation with freedom!" levels of propaganda.

- - - Updated - - -

Yet they're not banned, so your strawman about Canada banning guns is just that, a dishonest strawman.
    Making a right impractical to exercise is the equivalent of making it illegal under law.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can I legally create and use claymore mines to protect myself from home invaders?
    I want a basement nuke. Mutually assured self-defense.

Making a right impractical to exercise is the equivalent of making it illegal under law.
    It's literally not, and the bolded might, again, be the source of the problem.

"gun laws don't work"
    "good luck trying to change the constitution (implied neerer neerer neeeeeeener here)"

wow. it's almost like the same bad faith posting that plagued the school shooting thread has found it's way here!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, that's the goal of gun control. Much like how the right to own and use slaves was rendered impractical to exercise, for the most part, in the USA. Not banned, though. You folks never banned slavery outright.

Just because it's currently a "right" does not mean it should be a "right".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    "gun laws don't work"
    "good luck trying to change the constitution (implied neerer neerer neeeeeeener here)"

wow. it's almost like the same bad faith posting that plagued the school shooting thread has found it's way here!
    To be fair, this is where it's supposed to be, precisely so the bad-faith actors don't get brag about their ability to pose with their AR-15s as being more precious than the dozen-plus dead children sacrificed to enable them, right in the thread where people are mourning.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Yes, that's the goal of gun control. Much like how the right to own and use slaves was rendered impractical to exercise, for the most part, in the USA. Not banned, though. You folks never banned slavery outright.

Just because it's currently a "right" does not mean it should be a "right".

- - - Updated - - -

To be fair, this is where it's supposed to be, precisely so the bad-faith actors don't get brag about their ability to pose with their AR-15s as being more precious than the dozen-plus dead children sacrificed to enable them, right in the thread where people are mourning.
    You were never mourning. Your first post was ad hom, before the bodies hit room temperature. Stop pretending you care about children, or anyone.

The simple reality is that Americans have largely said there's a certain number of violently murdered children they're perfectly willing to accept as the cost of not having an honest talk about gun violence and that maybe the 2nd Amendment is a super-fucked idea that didn't make any sense in the mid-19th century, let alone today.

Or...muzzle loaded flintlocks. Kinda to massacre a room of people even if you're a muzzle-loading expert and can pack your gunpowder and round in under 10 seconds after firing your first shot. Better hope you have a bayonet or something on that sucker, but at that point it becomes less of a "gun" problem and more of a "knife/blade" problem. And we don't exactly see weekly mass-stabbings in the US.
    I'll reply to you because it looks Ike the other guy is banned. But it's ridiculous to think you can't go on an effective killing spree with a bolt action rifle.