Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    You're aware that we're talking about gun violence, right? I don't mean to be condescending, I just thought it was rather clear. Also, I provided a reason why one wouldn't need more than 10 rounds in a magazine, if you would be able to address that point.
    You should go back and read what I was responding to. That person was talking about mass murderers and I addressed that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Extrazero8 View Post
    You should go back and read what I was responding to. That person was talking about mass murderers and I addressed that point.
    And he was talking about reloading in the context of firearms. Justifying a straw-man must be hard.

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    once again, intellectual honesty, are you capable of it? is your argument so incredibly feeble that you cant present it in a rational fashion? just this lameass bob-and-weave?

the question was about why someone would need more than 10 rounds in a magazine, in case you forgot. Answer with some other idiotic sidestep and i will be forced to draw the conclusion that you are an idiot incapable of debate, or a liar incapable of being truthful
    Why does anyone need a large meal when getting fast food? Why does anyone need a soda larger than 16 ounces? Who the hell are you to tell someone else what they need?

How about you answer this. What percentage of magazines over 10 rounds are used in crime compared to magazines under 10 rounds?

10+ Year Old Account
    You do know that hunting magazines are made for all of those scary rifles right?

You know this from years of law enforcement experience or because its just a feeling you have?
    I don't consider hunting rifles to be scary. Sorry to disappoint you. And if there are hunting magazines, then all we need to is just allow those to be sold. No problem, right? And I never claimed complete knowledge on the subject, hence the phrase "I find it odd." I'm just stating that I find it odd that one would need more than 10 rounds to kill a man, given the information regarding the stopping power of a pistol that I have been exposed to. If you have information that can show me otherwise I would be more than happy to read it.

Why does anyone need a large meal when getting fast food? Why does anyone need a soda larger than 16 ounces? Who the hell are you to tell someone else what they need?

How about you answer this. What percentage of magazines over 10 rounds are used in crime compared to magazines under 10 rounds?
    and i have my answer. i have to tell you, my 2 year old is far more clever at being passive aggressive

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    And he was talking about reloading in the context of firearms. Justifying a straw-man must be hard.
    OK, how many people would live, as opposed to those who otherwise would be killed, because the person pulling the trigger had to reload?

---------- Post added 2012-12-18 at 06:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    and i have my answer. i have to tell you, my 2 year old is far more clever at being passive aggressive
    I think your 2 year old would have been able to see that the real problem is crazy people not getting mental health care before blaming objects.

I think your 2 year old would have been able to see that the real problem is crazy people not getting mental health care before blaming objects.
    I'm pretty sure even his two year old could discern that private citizens "needing" weapons capable of putting out over 600 rounds a minute serves no logical purpose but to kill other people.

my 2 year old is capable of giving a straight answer

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure even his two year old could discern that private citizens "needing" weapons capable of putting out over 600 rounds a minute serves no logical purpose but to kill other people.
    Yeah, I'd love to see you put out 600 RPM with a semi-auto. In case you didn't know, automatic weapons are already strictly prohibited under 3 separate laws and cost more than a fucking car, assuming you can even find one.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    Yeah, I'd love to see you put out 600 RPM with a semi-auto. In case you didn't know, automatic weapons are already strictly prohibited under 3 separate laws and cost more than a fucking car.
    Yeah, that's why gun manufacturers make modifying semi-auto into auto sooooo hard.

Would you have an answer for my '10 round magazine' question by chance? I'm still waiting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fully automatics would probably kill less people in the first place.

Spraying bullets randomly and missing a lot VS point and click.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, that's why gun manufacturers make modifying semi-auto into auto sooooo hard.

Would you have an answer for my '10 round magazine' question by chance? I'm still waiting.

First off, that's dependent on the firearm. Most people will tell you that the only thing you need to do is grind a little piece off the safety selector to make an AR-15 full auto, and they are full of shit. The selector will move to the third position but still only be semi-auto, and half the time the third position is just another safe.

On the 10 round thing, I don't give a damn. 10 is fine for me as long as we don't have to use 'bullet buttons', because those are just stupid, anyone who wants to go on a killing spree can just take it off. That being said I personally don't believe limiting us to 10 rounds will actually do anything. I really just think we need mental health background checks for firearms purchases, that would solve most of these problems.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

I don't consider hunting rifles to be scary. Sorry to disappoint you. And if there are hunting magazines, then all we need to is just allow those to be sold. No problem, right?
    What's the problem with the standard capacity magazines being sold now? There are millions of these magazines in the US and incredibly few of them are ever used in crime.

And I never claimed complete knowledge on the subject, hence the phrase "I find it odd." I'm just stating that I find it odd that one would need more than 10 rounds to kill a man, given the information regarding the stopping power of a pistol that I have been exposed to. If you have information that can show me otherwise I would be more than happy to read it.

I couldn't find the video without that guy doing an intro to it. Watch the video, it has some good information.

The point is that unless the bullet, from a handgun or rifle, hits a vital area then the attacker may not be stopped. There is no exact or magic number it takes to kill something.

---------- Post added 2012-12-18 at 07:10 PM ----------

I have an AR15 and 4 AK47 clones. I haven't killed anyone. Am I using those weapons improperly?

How about all the other millions of AR15 and AK47/74 owners that are not out killing people? Are they using their weapons improperly?

Or are they using civilian versions of military weapons as the gun manufacturers intended? Home defense, sport, and hunting.

Have, and dismissed it. In TJ's time, a rifle couldn't be used to massacre massive amounts of people in mere minutes.

I support total bans of these types of weapons.
    Why don't you get on your bike and pedal to reality. Smaller magazines will change nothing obviously you have never changed one its take 3 secs literally. You can buy 30rd mags for handguns also guess you want to ban all weapons then.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have an AR15 and 4 AK47 clones. I haven't killed anyone. Am I using those weapons improperly?

How about all the other millions of AR15 and AK47/74 owners that are not out killing people? Are they using their weapons improperly?

Or are they using civilian versions of military weapons as the gun manufacturers intended? Home defense, sport, and hunting.
    You're getting really good at this whole intellectual dishonesty and straw-man thing. Most people not going on murderous rampages with guns doesn't mean that everyone doesn't go on a murderous rampage with these guns. Not saying it's your fault, but those who do go on murderous rampages are in fact that ones that are ruining your fun because they can't be responsible.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by ugotownd View Post
    Why don't you get on your bike and pedal to reality. Smaller magazines will change nothing obviously you have never changed one its take 3 secs literally. You can buy 30rd mags for handguns also guess you want to ban all weapons then.
    and how many bullets can be fired in 3 seconds? and how many more times would a shooter have to stop shooting? yours is the worst kind of thinking, "well, if it doesnt solve the problem outright then there is no point!" it is the thinking of no compromise, no effort, no progress

Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    I would be more inclined to say that the increased call to BAN guns has caused the sales to skyrocket.
    It has I bought 3 AR-15 lowers today. Ordered a new 10/22 and deciding on a new handgun. Im hoping there not stupid enough to put in the dumbass assault weapon ban but if they do I"ll make some serious money at least. My 2 personal AR's and the 3 lowers. Though i doubt i would ever sell my build ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleros View Post
    You're getting really good at this whole intellectual dishonesty and straw-man thing. Most people not going on murderous rampages with guns doesn't mean that everyone doesn't go on a murderous rampage with these guns. Not saying it's your fault, but those who do go on murderous rampages are in fact that ones that are ruining your fun because they can't be responsible.
    This isn't a responsibility issue. Normal people are not running around with these things like jackasses, shooting randomly into the air. The problem is that people with mental health issues are killing other people.

It's no different than blaming violent video games, music, movies, news programs. Blaming guns or violent media isn't going to solve this. We have a mental health problem and its only going to be solved with mental health solutions. Everything else is bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleros View Post
    The new bill:

-Stops the sale, transfer, importation and manufacturing of more than 100 specifically-named firearms as well as certain semiautomatic rifles, handguns and shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds. (Why would you need this exactly?)

-Stops the sale, transfer, importation and manufacturing of large-capacity ammunition feeding devices (magazines, strips and drums) capable of accepting more than 10 rounds.

-Protects legitimate hunters and the rights of existing gun owners by:
    grandfathering weapons legally possessed on the date of enactment;
    exempting more than 900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting and sporting purposes; and
    exempting antique, manually-operated, and permanently disabled weapons.

The original Bill bans:

Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following:
    Folding or telescoping stock
    Pistol grip
    Bayonet mount
    Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
    Grenade launcher (more precisely, a muzzle device that enables launching or firing rifle grenades, though this applies only to muzzle mounted grenade launchers and not those mounted externally).

Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and two or more of the following:
    Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
    Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor
    Barrel shroud that can be used as a hand-hold
    Unloaded weight of 50 oz (1.4 kg) or more
    A semi-automatic version of a fully automatic firearm.

Semi-automatic shotguns with two or more of the following:
    Folding or telescoping stock
    Pistol grip
    Fixed capacity of more than 5 rounds
    Detachable magazine.

Lets see isn't Obama always saying lets make more jobs anything for jobs. So lets can everyones jobs that work at firearm manufacturers. Just more people not paying taxes so the country goes further and further into debt and everyone knows what happens when times get tough. Crime increases its all relevant people are just to blind to figure it out.

Its not hard to argue that economic activity arising from the production and sale of firearms is poorly allocated capital from a macro perspective.