Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoAmiSc View Post
    my point was, guns have no other "intended use"

*edit:typo
    When an item is not used for what it's designed for 99+% of the time, you can start to question if "intended use" really matters.

what's with all this really hard to grasp-at debate about cars are like guns /guns are like cars

1 is made to BENEFIT the comfort of manking
    the other is made with murder in mind ( guns are made to kill, not to scare, not to injure, they were invented to kill, nothing less )

it's a bit baffling that you people have heated arguments about the comparison of these 2 items
    semantics, really, but "murder" has specific meanings. Guns were originally designed as a more efficient method of killing, certainly, as was the bow, but that doesn't mean all guns today are made for harming another living thing. There are guns made for collecting, for artistic purposes that are never meant to be shot (but are fully capable of such), and purely recreational guns. There is also the simple fact that hunting may be killing, but is not somehow inherently harmful to society.

The car/gun comparison is not a direct thing, but it does have some lines. Not all cars are made to be the most efficient means of transportation.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    The car/gun comparison is not a direct thing, but it does have some lines. Not all cars are made to be the most efficient means of transportation.
    The comparison is even worse in my mind. If we extrapolate the concept you'll find that Cars, or in reality the combustion engine, has done more long term damaging effects to the planet and reasonably led to more deaths than firearms. The combustion engine along with the assembly line gave us WW1, WW2, and every other war post 1910. In the scale of human history, the modern firearm is nothing compared to "Human comfort and benefit." We've not ever yet begun to see the devastating effects of the waste of modern conveniences.

Last I checked, guns aren't going to kill the planet or atmosphere, cars and industrialization are. http://co2now.org/

Quote Originally Posted by xezar View Post
    I'm still surprised it expired, damn people like Bush...
    Bush traveled back in time and created the sunset provisions?

i think it's funny when conservatives pretend there is no difference between INTENTIONAL MURDER and ACCIDENT. selective perception much?
    If they both result in unnecessary death, is there?

Also, I am not conservative. I'd just rather not see gun ownership get destroyed by people who want to rid the world of 'scary things.'

Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    If they both result in unnecessary death, is there?

Also, I am not conservative. I'd just rather not see gun ownership get destroyed by people who want to rid the world of 'scary things.'
    there is a very big difference. trying to equate the 2 is the definition of dishonesty imo.

i dont want guns banned btw. i want honest dialog about it, and bullshit equivalences (on both sides) preclude honest conversation
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post

I agree that walking down the sidewalk randomly firing your gun would be rather silly, but a proper analogy to the extensive amount of car usage was escaping me.
    How about 10,000 people walking down the block with their firearm holstered.

10+ Year Old Account
    A gun registry, which would allow for proper tracking and tracing of guns used in a crime, but on the flip side could eventually be used to confiscate guns in some dystopian future where the government imposes absolute rule and confiscates all of the guns.
    I'm curious why you think that a government gun confiscation is only possible "in some dystopian future where the government imposes absolute rule". Is Australia a dystopian society with absolute rule? And yet they had a gun confiscation. Such a confiscation might even be seen as a "good move" by a majority of people who don't have, care about, or even really understand firearms.

The pro-gun crowd worries about a gun confiscation happening, not in some unforeseen future where the government takes absolute control, but as something that could happen almost overnight, with a suitably-minded SCOTUS and Congress. I mean, even if another group of Supreme Court Justices come along afterwards and deem the previous decision unconstitutional, it would already be a fait accompli.

What if they first decide to just collect all the legally-owned automatic firearms? And then the "scary" semi-automatics? If there are Congressmen/women who are pushing hard for an assault weapons ban, who's to say that they wouldn't pursue a confiscation if there was a registry?

Change a law, reinterpret an amendment, and poof... they're gone.

---------- Post added 2013-05-25 at 11:37 PM ----------

I agree that walking down the sidewalk randomly firing your gun would be rather silly, but a proper analogy to the extensive amount of car usage was escaping me.
    The thing is that the causes of accidents aren't really comparable between the two, either. Accidents with firearms are more often an issue with a lack of training. More consistent use would tend to reduce the number of accidents per use. There might be more accidents overall, but at a slower rate per hour of firearm use, let's say. So twice as many hours spent using a gun would not be twice as many accidents.

The same can't be said for motor vehicle accidents. Those are most often caused by external conditions (rain, ice, low visibility, tire blowout at 70mph, etc.) and by distractions. Distractions happen any time, regardless of training. I mean, sure, you can minimize your risk by not being stupid and texting or doing your makeup when you drive, but it's not going to eliminate potential distractions. And the more you drive, the more you tend to zone out when you drive. I'd figure that doubling the amount of time driving would at least double the amount of accidents. More if you figure that you're then sharing the road with that many more potentially distracted drivers.

And for accident statistics:

From the CDC 2010 Final Mortality Statistics: 606 accidental firearm deaths vs. 35,332 accidental motor vehicle deaths.

---------- Post added 2013-05-25 at 11:40 PM ----------

what's with all this really hard to grasp-at debate about cars are like guns /guns are like cars

1 is made to BENEFIT the comfort of manking
    the other is made with murder in mind ( guns are made to kill, not to scare, not to injure, they were invented to kill, nothing less )

it's a bit baffling that you people have heated arguments about the comparison of these 2 items
    Well, when the item that's designed "to benefit the comfort of mankind" causes more deaths in a year than the item that's designed "with murder in mind", then you understand the potential for comparison.

---------- Post added 2013-05-26 at 02:57 AM ----------

Another perspective on the accident statistics.

60x as many accidental motor vehicle deaths as accidental firearm deaths. Let's say that the number of firearm users are half the number of vehicle users. Evening out those numbers would lead to a 30x difference (assuming a stable ratio).

If the average car user drives 1 hour a day, and the average gun owner spends 1 hour a month shooting, then the usage time per accidental death would be equivalent between firearms and vehicles.

So... what does that say?

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

You could like, do that thing, where you shoot animals for food.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    I think I would save michal jordan's life. That guy was just such a great singer
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I don't pay for food for anyone I'm not sleeping with and you shouldn't either.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    How about 10,000 people walking down the block with their firearm holstered.
    Walking down the sidwalk with guns in their hands and their fingers on the trigger. You know, like Feinstein did in her demonstrations. That's about what driving 2 tons of metal at 60 mph could be comparable to.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Walking down the sidwalk with guns in their hands and their fingers on the trigger. You know, like Feinstein did in her demonstrations. That's about what driving 2 tons of metal at 60 mph could be comparable to.
    Maybe if it was a school zone, being intentionally unsafe in one example doesn't somehow help illustrate anything. Phaelix gave an example of shooting once a month for one hour as the "break point" where the accident rate is comparable with driving every day for 1 hour. Seems close enough. There are people that drive more and people that shoot more.

I'm sure there's average speeds of collisions and such numbers too, and of course alcohol related driving accidents are more recorded than alcohol related gun accidents, but it depends on how far you want to research the allegory.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure at this point the analogy is overused by people on both sides of the debate. Any time the tug of war back and forth isn't going in one side's favor, they pull out the car analogy.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

15+ Year Old Account

so am i using my gun wrong by target shooting getting into competition with it i mean since im not killing someone im not using it correctly right?
    Well then get your shit together.
    Get it all together. And put it in a backpack. All your shit. So it’s together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the shit store and sell it, or put it in a shit museum, I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
    Get your shit together

Quote Originally Posted by Roxinius View Post
    so am i using my gun wrong by target shooting getting into competition with it i mean since im not killing someone im not using it correctly right?
    Obviously, according to WhoAmiSc, you should be using it to murder, I mean, it has no other "intended use", right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    I think I would save michal jordan's life. That guy was just such a great singer
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I don't pay for food for anyone I'm not sleeping with and you shouldn't either.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicarus View Post
    Obviously, according to WhoAmiSc, you should be using it to murder, I mean, it has no other "intended use", right?
    damn now i feel stupid i've owned my sig for over 2 years now and just now finding out im using it wrong son of a bitch
    Well then get your shit together.
    Get it all together. And put it in a backpack. All your shit. So it’s together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the shit store and sell it, or put it in a shit museum, I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
    Get your shit together

10+ Year Old Account
    You know, like Feinstein did in her demonstrations.
    I've always found it interesting how gun-control advocates exercise the least amount of gun safety.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxi View Post
    I've always found it interesting how gun-control advocates exercise the least amount of gun safety.
    What is this based on? Because I could dig up the story about that NRA instructor accidently shooting himself again if you like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    What is this based on? Because I could dig up the story about that NRA instructor accidently shooting himself again if you like.
    Oh if we're going for obscure stories I'm sure you could. If, however, someone is going to be a public face for gun control, perhaps they should learn basic gun safety?
    Feinstein, Biden, Diana DeGette.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh if we're going for obscure stories I'm sure you could. If, however, someone is going to be a public face for gun control, perhaps they should learn basic gun safety?
    People are often afraid of and want to control things they don't understand.

Why do you get to pick who counts as the public face and who is obscure?

Not to mention you're moving goal posts now.