Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Wow, you don't mind insulting millions of vets, do you?
    Yes, I insult them with my links and everything.

I suggest you read about nuclear ships before commenting again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, you don't mind insulting millions of vets, do you?
    Not particularly, no, since a lot of them vote Republican.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    No, the crew is deployed for 6-8. Carriers are out for years.

You really don't know much about the Navy at all.
    Refueling is a once in a lifetime overhaul, carriers undergo far more work over their lives than just that. Carriers have ONE crew, they do not have a blue and gold crew like boomers do. It is you that doesnt understan anything about the US Navy. The only surface ships that are getting blue/gold crews are the LCSs, and even those require coming to port on a regular basis.

I now have a mental image of a bunch of "rebels" waiting by the sea wall for years remarking: "Well dey gotta come back some time."

- - - Updated - - -

Carriers have ONE crew
    They why is the crew rotated every 6-9 months?

You didn't read my link. At all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I insult them with my links and everything.

I suggest you read about nuclear ships before commenting again.
    I am willing to bet I know far more about Nimitz Class carriers than you do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Right, because you didn't just say your .30-06 rounds "out class" everything but a few "sniper rounds" the military uses.

...and then forgot to mention all the cannon rounds and other ordinance that they would actually use against your imaginary rebellion force.
    And then you forgot if they aren't concerned about collateral damage (which they probably would if they are bringing out the big guns), collective punishment is also a possibility.

I am willing to bet I know far more about Nimitz Class carriers than you do.
    *Looks at your post history*

How much? TinyKong, Didactic, place your bets now.

Because you didn't even realize a "deployment" refers to the crew, not the ship. Your "knowledge" of the USN makes me giggle.

10+ Year Old Account
    I now have a mental image of a bunch of "rebels" waiting by the sea wall for years remarking: "Well dey gotta come back some time."

- - - Updated - - -

They why is the crew rotated every 6-9 months?

You didn't read my link. At all.
    I dont recall seeing anything concerning carrier crew rotaions in that article, quote it for me please.

Refueling is a once in a lifetime overhaul, carriers undergo far more work over their lives than just that. Carriers have ONE crew, they do not have a blue and gold crew like boomers do. It is you that doesnt understan anything about the US Navy. The only surface ships that are getting blue/gold crews are the LCSs, and even those require coming to port on a regular basis.
    Is there really a point to this discussion?

They aren't going to need an overhaul, because after they destroy our infrastructure within 24-48 hours, they can just wait and after the water and food is gone, people will quickly lose interest in a rebellion.

They don't even need to destroy the infrastructure, just send a few SF troops to take over major power plants and turn them off, and thats it, the rebellion is over.

Good luck getting 20 million people pissed off enough to live without food or water for 45-60 days and then saying "oh yeah, go ahead and pick up those arms and fight against the most effective killing machine in the history of human kind."

FFS.

I dont recall seeing anything concerning carrier crew rotaions in that article, quote it for me please.
    http://usmilitary.about.com/od/navyj...ments.-ur1.htm

Those selected work outside of their regular Navy job, and are deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan (usually for 12 months) to assist the Army and Marine Corps with combat missions and patrols.

I'm going with "Armchair Commando."

10+ Year Old Account

Because you didn't even realize a "deployment" refers to the crew, not the ship. Your "knowledge" of the USN makes me giggle.
    Funny thing, I was stationed on the USS Lincoln, CVN-72. I'm pretty sure I would remember if another crew swapped out with mine. Carriers have ONE crew. The US Navy does not have the manpower to provide multiple crews to carriers and airwings.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Is there really a point to this discussion?

They aren't going to need an overhaul, because after they destroy our infrastructure within 24-48 hours, they can just wait and after the water and food is gone, people will quickly lose interest in a rebellion.

They don't even need to destroy the infrastructure, just send a few SF troops to take over major power plants and turn them off, and thats it, the rebellion is over.

Good luck getting 20 million people pissed off enough to live without food or water for 45-60 days and then saying "oh yeah, go ahead and pick up those arms and fight against the most effective killing machine in the history of human kind."

FFS.
    Destroying the infrastructure only works if you are talking about a civil war with easily defined geographical splits. Else its a good way to make the general populace hate you.

Funny thing, I was stationed on the USS Lincoln, CVN-72. I'm pretty sure I would remember if another crew swapped out with mine. Carriers have ONE crew. The US Navy does not have the manpower to provide multiple crews to carriers and airwings.
    It's not polite to veterans to lie. You aren't one.

Because if you had even but the slightest inkling on how nuclear vessels work, you'd know they could stay out to sea for years.

10+ Year Old Account
    ROFL, that is not the article you posted, and it isnt even talking about ships!

- - - Updated - - -

It's not polite to veterans to lie.

You aren't one.
    Lol, great come back.

ROFL, that is not the article you posted, and it isnt even talking about ships!
    Because you asked me about crew deployments. Are you illiterate?

That mission on BF3 doesn't count as naval service.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not polite to veterans to lie. You aren't one.

Because if you had even but the slightest inkling on how nuclear vessels work, you'd know they could stay out to sea for years.
    Oh dear god man.... You have ZERO clue about just how much other stuff is on a carrier that breaks, wears out, etc. Yes the hull can steam for years, but it can't FIGHT for that long. The airwing can't last that long either, as as we have few airwings than carriers....

Oh dear god man.... You have ZERO clue about just how much other stuff is on a carrier that breaks, wears out, etc. Yes the hull can steam for years, but it can't FIGHT for that long. The airwing can't last that long either, as as we have few airwings than carriers....
    Yeah you've already demonstrated your "breadth" of knowledge to the rest of us.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because you asked me about crew deployments. Are you illiterate?

That mission on BF3 doesn't count as naval service.
    The really funny thing is the paragraph in that article right above the one talking about deploying to Iraq says this: "The ships and subs also spend a significant amount of time docked at their home port. Most ships deploy to sea duty for months at a time (usually for six months, but up to nine months). Then they return to their home port for four or five months (during which time there will be several one or two week cruises for training purposes)."

Check-mate, using your own article.

The really funny thing is the paragraph in that article right above the one talking about deploying to Iraq says this: "The ships and subs also spend a significant amount of time docked at their home port. Most ships deploy to sea duty for months at a time (usually for six months, but up to nine months). Then they return to their home port for four or five months (during which time there will be several one or two week cruises for training purposes)."

Check-mate, using your own article.
    Apparently you don't know what "most" means. I guess that answers my earlier query about your literacy.

Are most ships in the USN nuclear powered?

Deleted
    Gun control is useless if people are culturally violent.