Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuffs View Post
    Its a bit harder to fuck over people when you sleep in the same area. Moreover their power is inherently limited; I can always move to say, Nebraska if enough Cali Soccer Moms move up here.

When your power is given by the locals, instead of having your power distributed by some pencil pusher in D.C., it changes the dynamic.
    State government doesn't suddenly= less corruption.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    On the other hand, states love pissing on the separation of church and state, gerrymander the shit out of their districts, arbitrarily fuck with voting, and stamp down on women's rights.

But hey, at least when they do it the capital is closer by.
    Ok, so what? What if the Capital decides to start pissing over separation of Church and State. Hell, lets say they go full blown Theocracy and we start Crusades 2 Electric Boogaloo.

Where do you move. A new country altogether? I'd rather just move between states. I live in WA. We let queers do their thing, relax around weed, and I get to have my guns. What works for me doesn't work for people in NY probably.

Ok, so what? What if the Capital decides to start pissing over separation of Church and State. Hell, lets say they go full blown Theocracy and we start Crusades 2 Electric Boogaloo.

Where do you move. A new country altogether? I'd rather just move between states. I live in WA. We let queers do their thing, relax around weed, and I get to have my guns. What works for me doesn't work for people in NY probably.
    You're changing the point. States routinely and often far more egregiously piss on rights. Something the "states rights!" crowd seems to be happy to ignore in their fervor. More local government is no security.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    "Every constitution, then, and every law, naturally expires at the end of nineteen years. If it be enforced longer, it is an act of force, and not of right."

-Thomas Jefferson

Wonder why the second amendment (and for that matter the whole constitution) doesn't come under a vote every 19 years.
    So you saying we should revote on " is it a crime to commit murder, rape and sexual assault ?" Every 19 years? After all he did say "every law".Thomas Jefferson was a human. Which means he was not always right. But yet we know the victims of those crimes deserve justice as a right. Any part of the constitution can be changed. But there first has to be a good reason to change it. In the case of the Bill of Rights, there is no reason to change it. Now if you think differently write your congressmen and complain. Until then, we have the right to keep and bear arms in the US and to use said arms to lawfully defend ourselves.

You're changing the point. States routinely and often far more egregiously piss on rights. Something the "states rights!" crowd seems to be happy to ignore in their fervor. More local government is no security.
    Im pretty sure CA isnt behind Gitmo or the NSA as much as I hate them

Im gonna go on a limb and say some abortion controversy isnt as bad as water boarding.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    So you saying we should revote on " is it a crime to commit murder, rape and sexual assault ?" Every 19 years? After all he did say "every law".Thomas Jefferson was a human. Which means he was not always right. But yet we know the victims of those crimes deserve justice as a right. Any part of the constitution can be changed. But there first has to be a good reason to change it. In the case of the Bill of Rights, there is no reason to change it. Now if you think differently write your congressmen and complain. Until then, we have the right to keep and bear arms in the US and to use said arms to lawfully defend ourselves.
    You do but they never said anything about doing background checks and still making it difficult for people to get guns(Not necessarily banning them).
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    We vote on the results of convictions all the time. It's the point of a jury...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

I didn't say the feds never fuck up. But I'm far more effected by arbitrarily reduced early voting days than I am by Gitmo.
    Im gonna go on a limb and say some abortion controversy isnt as bad as water boarding.
    Really? Because I think the ongoing and systemic attack on women's health care access is much worse than a policy that no longer is happening.

10+ Year Old Account

Why is Gitmo in Cuba?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    You do but they never said anything about doing background checks and still making it difficult for people to get guns(Not necessarily banning them).
    Make it difficult enough and people will just go through the black market mate. I thought we learned this after Prohibition and War on Drugs.

Make it difficult enough and people will just go through the black market mate. I thought we learned this after Prohibition and War on Drugs.
    You know that doesn't apply to literally every good you can think of.

15+ Year Old Account
    No, Thomas Jefferson said that. The same guy people like to quote over and over again as if what he said was the word of God. Although I've tended to find that their messiah complex of people that died 200 years ago is very selective about which quotes are biblical in nature.

I kind of have a hard time believing laws against murder would ever be struck down.

It just seems like there's a general refusal to even acknowledge there's a problem that needs addressing, and instead quote founding fathers over and over again.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

I didn't say the feds never fuck up. But I'm far more effected by arbitrarily reduced early voting days than I am by Gitmo.
    On a personal basis, sure. I still find the latter far more morally reprehensible.

policy that no longer is happening.
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    Why is Gitmo in Cuba?
    For the Cigars of course

Name me one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Prohibition means a ban. What I'm suggesting is not. At this point you are coming off as being obtuse.

Warrior-Magi

15+ Year Old Account
    I laughed out loud when in the discussion of the trans fat ban, someone said "this won't go over well, just look at prohibition! People will be buying this stuff on the black market."
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Oh you think we're still waterboarding? I don't bother with kooks.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Prohibition means a ban. What I'm suggesting is not. At this point you are coming off as being obtuse.
    I'm still not certain why people are so vehemently against universals. People still get guns through federally licensed vendors with minor inconvenience, and it's like adding that minor inconvenience to private sales would destroy the second amendment.

I'm pretty sure if it ever happened, Fox News would run CG videos of Obama wiping his bum with the constitution every 5 minutes.

Oh you think we're still waterboarding? I don't bother with kooks.
    Showed me babes.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    "Every constitution, then, and every law, naturally expires at the end of nineteen years. If it be enforced longer, it is an act of force, and not of right."

-Thomas Jefferson

Wonder why the second amendment (and for that matter the whole constitution) doesn't come under a vote every 19 years.
    ....he's actually arguing for the continuation of government and laws and most specifically about long-term monetary contracts between countries; not against it.

The 19 years was based on the supposition that every person would be born on the same day, die on the same day, be all equal, and hand over the government to the next generation every 19 years. There would be no use for the continuation of government or of debts and that each new generation would be able to decide freely for themselves how to best govern. That the population would be uniformly in wants and desires. But because such a premise is not the case we need representative government.

Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    ....he's actually arguing for the continuation of government and laws and most specifically about long-term monetary contracts between countries; not against it.

The 19 years was based on the supposition that every person would be born on the same day, die on the same day, be all equal, and hand over the government to the next generation every 19 years. There would be no use for the continuation of government or of debts and that each new generation would be able to decide freely for themselves how to best govern. That the population would be uniformly in wants and desires. But because such a premise is not the case we need representative government.
    No, he is arguing that each and every generation needs to decide their own laws for themselves, and arguing for laws being able to be changed, instead of just enforced because they exist, and being unable to be changed because 'tradition'.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.