Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    It took less than 5 seconds to google "$174 billion firearms"

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-1...-violence.html

Stop being lazy as if it's some sort of indication of your position being superior, it's pathetic. If you won't keep up with the thread, at least put in a modicum of effort and pretend to be an informed member of the discussion.
    so tell it to the other guy that demanded the numbers from me for no reason

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Huh? It is called having your priorities in proper order. Death's from smoking shortens the life of around 443,000 lives per year in the US. Another 300,000 lives prematurely ending are thought to be from obesity. Now compare those to the number of premature death's due to gun inflicted injuries and we will see the gun death numbers pale in comparison.

Overall Tiny is correct in that gun death issues are not even in the top 5 of the major issues facing this country and in comparison to the others is insignificant. Not to say gun death's are not a health concern. But it is blown out of proportion too often. Measures should be taken to help reduce the gun deaths and have been done. And the great majority of gun owners are not opposed to reasonable laws.
    i do like how you come back to comparing firearm ownership to addictions, because when one thing is a health concern it must be comparable to other health concerns

it´s like when everythings lost, lets go back to talking about other issues not related with this thread that are already gone under alot of new legislation and pretend they´re not as much under fire

also, 0.1% probably isn´t near the spectrum of significant in tinykongs mind

- - - Updated - - -

We're talking about a country of 330+ million people. If we label something that effects 0.1% (or less) of the population as being "significant" then suddenly everything is significant.
    context
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

GDP in 2010:
    $14.5 trillion

Cost of firearm violence in 2010:
    $174 billion
    Actual Comparison:

GDP in 2010:
    $14.5 trillion

Cost of firearm violence in 2010:
    $60.8 billion

http://www.pire.org/documents/GSWcost2010.pdf

The $174 billion includes an estimated value for Quality of Life (Quality of Life values the pain, suffering, and loss of enjoyment of life of people who were shot and their families; we did not value fear experienced by people who were not shot.)

GDP doesn't have a numerical provision for happiness of the population so comparing the original numbers directly is a mistake at best and dishonest if done intentionally. (I know it wasn't your intent to be dishonest Tiny, you were probably unaware that the earlier figure included such a value.)

Since GDP does however include wages and taxes we can't compare the direct cost of $8.3 billion alone.
    Last edited by Tasttey; 2014-12-17 at 11:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardhyn View Post
    Now this is just blatant trolling, at least before you had the credibility of maybe being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Sometimes you gotta stop sniffing used schoolgirl panties and start being a fucking samurai.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

i do like how you come back to comparing firearm ownership to addictions, because when one thing is a health concern it must be comparable to other health concerns

it´s like when everythings lost, lets go back to talking about other issues not related with this thread that are already gone under alot of new legislation and pretend they´re not as much under fire

also, 0.1% probably isn´t near the spectrum of significant in tinykongs mind

- - - Updated - - -

I am glad you like my fair comparison when it sheds light on how insignificant gun death's are when compared to other much more significant issues.

Now this is what I call GREAT gun control

Give the kid a medal. Shame he didnt plug the other scumbag also.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...l#.VJG49nvyntQ

14-year-old boy shoots, kills home invader

Grandfather: 'Did good job' protecting sick grandma

Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Now this is what I call GREAT gun control

Give the kid a medal. Shame he didnt plug the other scumbag also.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...l#.VJG49nvyntQ

14-year-old boy shoots, kills home invader

Grandfather: 'Did good job' protecting sick grandma
    Impossible, nobody has ever defended themselves successfully with a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    Impossible, nobody has ever defended themselves successfully with a firearm.

Here is some more good gun control. She hit her mark 5 times.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local...ntruder/nTm7s/

Woman hiding with kids shoots intruder

LOGANVILLE, Ga. —

A woman hiding in her attic with children shot an intruder multiple times before fleeing to safety Friday.

The incident happened at a home on Henderson Ridge Lane in Loganville around 1 p.m. The woman was working in an upstairs office when she spotted a strange man outside a window, according to Walton County Sheriff Joe Chapman. He said she took her 9-year-old twins to a crawlspace before the man broke in using a crowbar.

But the man eventually found the family.

"The perpetrator opens that door. Of course, at that time he's staring at her, her two children and a .38 revolver," Chapman told Channel 2’s Kerry Kavanaugh.

The woman then shot him five times, but he survived, Chapman said. He said the woman ran out of bullets but threatened to shoot the intruder if he moved.

"She's standing over him, and she realizes she's fired all six rounds. And the guy's telling her to quit shooting," Chapman said.

The woman ran to a neighbor's home with her children. The intruder attempted to flee in his car but crashed into a wooded area and collapsed in a nearby driveway, Chapman said.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a funny one.

Police: Robbery suspect loses 'bet' that victim doesn't have a gun

http://www.msnewsnow.com/story/25827893/shooting-victim-drives-to-jackson-apartment-complex

Jackson police say, shortly before that, a guest at a nearby Motel 6 had a run in with the man in the rear parking lot.

They say the guest was approached by a man asking for cigarettes.

The hotel guest said he didn't have any cigarettes.

The man began to walk away, when , police say, he turned around and said "I bet you don't have one of these", pointing a gun in his direction.

The guest did have "one of these," and began firing at the suspect. He reportedly hit the man at least once.

The shooting victim left and was later picked up by ambulance at the Pines apartments.

He was hospitalized, but is not being identified at this time.
    Right now the man who shot him, a contractor from the coast working in Jackson, is not being charged. He was protected under Mississippi's castle law.

The case will still be presented to the Hinds County Jury.

It's going to be really awkward for all those people when someone explains to them how they don't actually exist, heh.

Love that Mississippi one.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's going to be really awkward for all those people when someone explains to them how they don't actually exist, heh.

what are you two wanking about? who claimed there were no defensive uses ever?

- - - Updated - - -

I am glad you like my fair comparison when it sheds light on how insignificant gun death's are when compared to other much more significant issues.
    wait, so you do think that firearm ownership is an addiction?
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love how people think that when someone compares two things, that they mean that they're the exact same thing.

When you compare something to addictive substances in general, Mayhem, then the implication is that that thing is not addictive, not the other way around.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    I love how people think that when someone compares two things, that they mean that they're the exact same thing.

When you compare something to addictive substances in general, Mayhem, then the implication is that that thing is not addictive, not the other way around.
    you thought i was being serious there? lol

so you think obesity, smoking and firearm ownership are comparable?

10+ Year Old Account
    so you think obesity, smoking and firearm ownership are comparable?
    Asking if two things are comparable is an incomplete question. Pretty much anything is comparable to anything else. Whether they're comparable in a specific way is the much more germane question.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

So wait, you think being fat and lazy is a addiction? A health issue can be about a addiction or simply misusing/abusing something. Surely you are smart enough to understand that.

It just get's hand waived as anecdotal evidence.

- - - Updated - - -

what are you two wanking about? who claimed there were no defensive uses ever?
    You haven't been keeping up.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Yeah, which is funny since it's a true anecdote about an actual person each time it does get handwaved -- which is to literally say that it doesn't matter that that person lived when they might not have.

10+ Year Old Account
    so you think obesity, smoking and firearm misuse are comparable?
    There. Fixed that for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't get hand-waived. It's just that justifiable homicide by firearm almost never happens. 260 incidents a year. Compared to 9,000 incidents of non-justifiable homicide by firearm.
    Eat yo vegetables

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    It doesn't get hand-waived. It's just that justifiable homicide by firearm almost never happens. 260 incidents a year. Compared to 9,000 incidents of non-justifiable homicide by firearm.
    The discussion was about defensive uses not "justifiable homicides" although "justifiable homicides" could be included in defensive uses it is not limited to just those.

- - - Updated - - -

Compared to 9,000 incidents of non-justifiable homicide by firearm.
    How many of those 9000 incidents were committed by a legal owner?

10+ Year Old Account
    The discussion was about defensive uses not "justifiable homicides" although "justifiable homicides" could be included in defensive uses it is not limited to just those.
    And offensive use aren't strictly limited to non-justifiable homicides.

Defensive uses are not accurately measured. Offensive uses are not accurately measured. The only thing that's measured accurately is "non-justifiable" vs. "justifiable" homicide.

How many of those 9000 incidents were committed by a legal owner?
    That question is meaningless. Firearm don't suddenly become less detrimental because criminals use them.

"Well, you're homicide rate is triple that of other developed nations, but it's OK! It's the non-legal owners causing that rate to be so high, so really, it doesn't matter."
    Eat yo vegetables

And offensive use aren't strictly limited to non-justifiable homicides.

Defensive uses are not accurately measured. Offensive uses are not accurately measured. The only thing that's measured accurately is "non-justifiable" vs. "justifiable" homicide.

That question is meaningless. Firearm don't suddenly become less detrimental because criminals use them.

"Well, you're homicide rate is triple that of other developed nations, but it's OK! It's the non-legal owners causing that rate to be so high, so really, it doesn't matter."
    It's the criminals causing that rate because laws don't apply to people who wont follow them. Lets punish the people NOT responsible, that logic. You must advocate all cars have a breathalyzer in order to start right? If not I don't understand your logic or lack of.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Asking if two things are comparable is an incomplete question. Pretty much anything is comparable to anything else. Whether they're comparable in a specific way is the much more germane question.
    ok, so in what way are they comparable?

- - - Updated - - -

So wait, you think being fat and lazy is a addiction? A health issue can be about a addiction or simply misusing/abusing something. Surely you are smart enough to understand that.
    so, i´ll ask you too then, how are you comparing these 3 issues? one´s an addiction, one´s partially an addiction or at least psychologic issue and the other one is well a right