Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    snip
    I understand the point you were trying to make.

I was specifically addressing the point you made about how perhaps other people are ok with how the other issues were being treated. I asked how can they be ok with how they are being treated when many many more people are dying from those. How could you be ok with that?

If you say you aren't why not focus your attention on those problems versus on a 'problem' that kills 11,000 people a year in a country with 300+ million people.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

10+ Year Old Account
    States with Weak Gun Laws and Higher Gun Ownership Lead Nation in Gun Deaths, New Data for 2013 Confirms.

The VPC measured 3 raw variables: 1)Gun ownership rate, 2) Gun death rate and 3) Strength of gun violence prevention laws. They found that states with a high ownership rates and weak laws also have the highest gun death rate. The inverse was also true.

Does this mean that low ownership and tough laws cause a lower gun death rate? No. But these findings are interesting, and more research should be performed.
    Eat yo vegetables

Deleted
    How can you handwave that the correlation is so strong that its hard to deny causation.

I mean 400% the rate of dead people cant be explained with: "People in alaska are more irresponsible".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    How can you handwave that the correlation is so strong that its hard to deny causation.

I mean 400% the rate of dead people cant be explained with: "People in alaska are more irresponsible".
    I'm not handwaving. I believe it's a rather significant finding. But we can't determine causation through that correlation alone. As strong as it may be. There's many factors that go into firearm violence, including access and laws.
    Eat yo vegetables

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    There's many factors that go into firearm violence, including access and laws.
    You cant shoot people with non available guns its a silly notion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    You cant shoot people with non available guns its a silly notion.
    Correlation of raw data cannot determine causation. It may strongly suggest causation, but it doesn't determine it. It's just a caveat.
    Eat yo vegetables

States with Weak Gun Laws and Higher Gun Ownership Lead Nation in Gun Deaths, New Data for 2013 Confirms.

The VPC measured 3 raw variables: 1)Gun ownership rate, 2) Gun death rate and 3) Strength of gun violence prevention laws. They found that states with a high ownership rates and weak laws also have the highest gun death rate. The inverse was also true.

Does this mean that low ownership and tough laws cause a lower gun death rate? No. But these findings are interesting, and more research should be performed.
    The number 1 state in your link is Alaska, what a shit study.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    The number 1 state in your link is Alaska, what a shit study.
    Alaska is a state, sooooo.....
    Eat yo vegetables

Dreadlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Id would be for gun control only after someone outlines how to effectively get guns out of the hands of all criminals. Once that is done gun control is fine until then not giving up something that will protect my life.. And saying something is illegal wont stop a criminal. Bank robbing is illegal yet people still do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by js3915 View Post
    Once that is done gun control is fine until then not giving up something that will protect my life.
    Gun control does not require you to give up your firearms.
    Eat yo vegetables

The VPC defined states with “weak” gun violence prevention laws as those that add little or nothing to federal law and have permissive laws governing the open or concealed carrying of firearms in public. States with “strong” gun violence prevention laws were defined as those that add significant state regulation that is absent from federal law, such as restricting access to particularly hazardous and deadly types of firearms (for example, assault weapons), setting minimum safety standards for firearms and/or requiring a permit to purchase a firearm, and restricting the open and concealed carrying of firearms in public.
    lols.

What percentage of firearm violence is committed by people who have a permit to carry?
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    lols.

What percentage of firearm violence is committed by people who have a permit to carry?
    How is that relevant to the studies findings?
    Eat yo vegetables

How is that relevant to the studies findings?
    The entire premise of the study is bullshit if the criteria for a state being "weak" on gun violence is not having stricter than Federal laws and allowing open carry.

Without showing that open carry causes crime, they are basically just making up the criteria of "weak" on gun violence to fit the statistics.
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Makes no difference if they are intentional or not. The amount of suffering and costs in medical and grieving of families with some causes are worse than gun deaths. Which the gun control crowd do not like to speak of at all when it comes to gun control measures. Except when it supports their stance.
    What do you mean it makes no difference, you can´t just take numbers and compare them without taking into consideration how they orriginated.

You can´t treat accidents like killings.

I mean, sure we can talk about all the other causes for death, but what have they to do with firearm related deaths, and how would that not derail the conversation about gun control?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    I understand the point you were trying to make.

I was specifically addressing the point you made about how perhaps other people are ok with how the other issues were being treated. I asked how can they be ok with how they are being treated when many many more people are dying from those. How could you be ok with that?

If you say you aren't why not focus your attention on those problems versus on a 'problem' that kills 11,000 people a year in a country with 300+ million people.
    Because this is a thread about gun control, if you want to discuss other topics i´ll join you, depending on the issue, i don´t know what´s so hard about this to understand.

and just for the record, i think cigarettes should be illegal as they bring little to no good to the life of people, trying to quit btw.
    Last edited by Mayhem; 2015-02-03 at 06:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    The entire premise of the study is bullshit if the criteria for a state being "weak" on gun violence is not having stricter than Federal laws and allowing open carry.

Without showing that open carry causes crime, they are basically just making up the criteria of "weak" on gun violence to fit the statistics.
    You're not making sense. They're attempting the measure the restrictiveness of each states firearm laws. Whether or not open carry causes crime has no bearing on whether or not it can be considered a restrictive law.
    Eat yo vegetables

You're not making sense. They're attempting the measure the restrictiveness of each states firearm laws. Whether or not open carry causes crime has no bearing on whether or not it can be considered a restrictive law.
    They made up their own criteria for what constitutes a state that is "weak on firearm violence." According to the link, a lack of laws in addition to Federal law and permissive open carry makes a state "weak" on firearm violence.

That's bullshit. Without showing that the permissiveness of open carry increases crime, all they are doing is making up criteria to fit the statistics.

10+ Year Old Account
    They made up their own criteria for what constitutes a state that is "weak on firearm violence." According to the link, a lack of laws in addition to Federal law and permissive open carry makes a state "weak" on firearm violence.

That's bullshit. Without showing that the permissiveness of open carry increases crime, all they are doing is making up criteria to fit the statistics.
    States with additional firearm laws are considered "strong." States without additional firearm laws are considered "weak." How is this even up for debate?
    Eat yo vegetables

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    What do you mean it makes no difference, you can´t just take numbers and compare them without taking into consideration how they orriginated.

You can´t treat accidents like killings.

I mean, sure we can talk about all the other causes for death, but what have they to do with firearm related deaths, and how would that not derail the conversation about gun control?

- - - Updated - - -

Because this is a thread about gun control, if you want to discuss other topics i´ll join you, depending on the issue, i don´t know what´s so hard about this to understand.

and just for the record, i think cigarettes should be illegal as they bring little to no good to the life of people, trying to quit btw.
    They are all related in terms of what some want to become all emotional about when other things are causing more harm.

Anyway, hope you are successful with your effort to quit smoking. Been there done that years ago. Not easy, but if one wants to enough, it can be done without anything but pure will power.

Common sense applies to so many things, including smoking and using a firearm.

States with additional firearm laws are considered "strong." States without additional firearm laws are considered "weak." How is this even up for debate?
    Because they added in the "permissive carry" nonsense. Legal owners carrying legal firearms does not constitute a weakness towards "firearm violence."

10+ Year Old Account
    Because they added in the "permissive carry" nonsense. Legal owners carrying legal firearms does not constitute a weakness towards "firearm violence."
    This has nothing to do with legal owners carrying firearms. It has to do with the State laws regarding firearm ownership. A state law that requires police to either accept or decline a concealed carry permit is objectively doing more to prevent firearm violence than a state that does not have such a law.
    Eat yo vegetables