Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    What would you call a mandatory buyback?
    Thank you, they like to quote the Australian buy back and forget to leave out the Mandatory part. Another thing I want to know is if there is a mandatory buy back are they going to give me fair market value for my guns? or am I going to get $200.00 for my $850.00 AR?

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    It goes: ra-ta-ta-ta-ta

?
    So you do not know how it functions.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    I don't live in a metro are where kids treat each other like shit, Kids are free to roam around town all day without adult supervision around here and locking your doors is something that very few if any people do. Hell I literally get mad at my Wife when she takes the keys out of the ignition let alone locks the car. I am not sitting Idle by, It's a terrible tragedy when something like this happens, The sheriff, police and FBI should be punished for failing the kids in Florida, not me in MN. Laws and regulations should never be written based of emotion. Fact is that crime and in turn violence is actually declining as a whole, yes there are school shootings, but you choose where you live also. I live in Rural MN where everyone knows everyone else and people just get along, So no I will not give up my rights because someone thinks I should make new laws based on the emotions of others. Again It was a terrible tragedy what has happened to these kids, but I will not let emotions get in the way of rational thinking.
    This entire post is one big appeal to emotion, so...irony, much?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Martymark View Post
    I'm not really pro gun, but I have a knee jerk reaction when people say "we want to take away your rights to make you safe".
    It is a reasonable reaction considering a look at history.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    No country has had a mandatory buy back. Considering schwank05 lives in a very rural area, he would join a gun club and his local law enforcement would approve of him owning multiple rifles both for hunting and sport shooting. If you lived in a rural or suburban setting, local law enforcement would permit handguns for self defense with mandated gun safes and locales for shooting rifles in a controlled shooting range. It would depend on a multitude of factors.
    So I can only shoot my gun is some range determined by who exactly? I have a 10 Acre farm I walk out my back door and shoot Rabbits with my 12Ga shotgun and plunk Skunks from 300yd away in case I puncture their stink sack with my AR. Are you suggesting that I would no longer be able to do this? I honestly don't see how they would ever really enforce a mandatory buyback or confiscation anyway, who is going to do it the Military? Police? some private security firm? I doubt it most would refuse because they themselves have guns as well and it would take armed people to disarm others, So then you get a rush of people joining the police force so they can have guns?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    This entire post is one big appeal to emotion, so...irony, much?
    Exactly so I will not be making laws or anything like that on how I feel, thankfully the founding fathers did this already for us so there is no need to fix what isn't broken.

10+ Year Old Account
    Exactly so I will not be making laws or anything like that on how I feel, thankfully the founding fathers did this already for us so there is no need to fix what isn't broken.
    The Founding Fathers were wrong about a lot of things, so that's not a particularly good defense.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Well, thankfully what others in other countries think, has no bearing on our Constitutional rights. I mean, we had to kick some Nazi ass to point that out in the past.
    Hey hey, I thought facts mattered? Or does a fact not matter simply because someone in another country said it?

Ironically, your comment regarding WW2 demonstrates the fact that what people in other countries think do affect you. So much so that your country entered into a war.
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981
    I don't believe in observational proof because I have arrived at the conclusion that such a thing doesn't exist.

Deleted
    So you do not know how it functions.
    I know its a better killing machine than guns that are not "auto"

I just dont understand your fascination with guns.
    And stuff you say like :
    "this would just open up more restrictions which basically punish the law abiding citizens"

Punish? Guns are not toys.

The Founding Fathers were wrong about a lot of things, so that's not a particularly good defense.
    I don't see what about, we have the greatest country in the history of the world which started with them. Don't see anything wrong with that at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    And we have corrected what they were wrong on. Sure, the Second can be appealed and done away with. But you are not a US citizen I do not think? So if that is true, you can not write your state's representatives to push for such. Even if you could, good luck with getting 3/4 of the States to approve such a action. I mean every citizen has a right to do such under our Constitution. But the founding fathers had the wisdom to make it not based on majority of emotional reactions.

Quote Originally Posted by wheresmywoft View Post
    Hey hey, I thought facts mattered? Or does a fact not matter simply because someone in another country said it?

Ironically, your comment regarding WW2 demonstrates the fact that what people in other countries think do affect you. So much so that your country entered into a war.
    We entered in a war because the Japanese made the mistake to attack us on our home soil.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see what about, we have the greatest country in the history of the world which started with them. Don't see anything wrong with that at all.
    Yeah, the "greatest country" nonsense is just that.

I'll just point out that despite the Second Amendment allegedly being a safeguard against tyranny, it has failed to prevent or stop any of the actual instances of tyranny in US history.

the actual instances of tyranny in US history.
    Could you point out the "actual instances of tyranny in US history?" I'm curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    I know its a better killing machine than guns that are not "auto"

I just dont understand your fascination with guns.
    And stuff you say like :
    "this would just open up more restrictions which basically punish the law abiding citizens"

Punish? Guns are not toys.
    No, but neither are Cars which kill more people every year than guns. But guess what I still have made a business around making cars go Faster and look cooler, not because anyone needs them to, but because they are just so damn fun. Same goes with Guns, I don't 100% need guns, but it sure makes securing my farm from rabid animals and the like from hurting my dogs or children, much easier. And blasting a Prairie Dog from 800+ Yards is just so satisfying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Martymark View Post
    Could you point out the "actual instances of tyranny in US history?" I'm curious.
    Slavery, Jim Crow, Japanese Internment, and the plight of the Native Americans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wheresmywoft View Post

Thoughts without the means to put them into action, mean less than those which have a means. And it was a threat which they showed by their actions, to our way of life and the freedoms we have here in our country. So we helped to stop them.

I mean, I can have a opinion on other countries and their cultures and laws. But that is all it will be. And generally I do not comment much on other country's laws.

- - - Updated - - -

Slavery, Jim Crow, Japanese Internment, and the plight of the Native Americans.
    Which those have been corrected. Not to the point you can control everyone's racists thoughts, but to the extent of law. But our country has stood the test of time well so far. Over 240 years of independence. Not many can say that. And we continue to be a place millions are trying to immigrant to and stay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Which those have been corrected.
    None of which were corrected by the Second Amendment being a thing, which was the entire point.

Not to the point you can control everyone's racists thoughts, but to the extent of law. But our country has stood the test of time well so far. Over 240 years of independence. Not many can say that. And we continue to be a place millions are trying to immigrant to and stay.
    None of which is a function of the Second Amendment, part deux.

It's almost as if it's an indefensible anachronism that needs to be shielded behind such feel good bullshit as "'Murica #1".

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    We entered in a war because the Japanese made the mistake to attack us on our home soil.
    And what do you think lead to that action? Does perhaps some thought occur before an action is taken?
    I don't believe in observational proof because I have arrived at the conclusion that such a thing doesn't exist.

Deleted
    And blasting a Prairie Dog from 800+ Yards is just so satisfying.
    Jesus...you guys really love guns more than is healthy to.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Thoughts without the means to put them into action, mean less than those which have a means. And it was a threat which they showed by their actions, to our way of life and the freedoms we have here in our country. So we helped to stop them.

I mean, I can have a opinion on other countries and their cultures and laws. But that is all it will be. And generally I do not comment much on other country's laws
    See response to schwank05