Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/06/0...nd-check-error

Gun permits were revoked from hundreds of Florida residents after the state's agricultural commissioner said that a "deceitful" employee was unable to log in to the background check system.

The state failed to conduct national background checks on tens of thousands of permit applications because of the error for more than a year, according to the Tampa Bay Times.

In a statement, Agricultural Commissioner Adam Putnam said that 291 gun licenses were ultimately revoked from state residents.

It is good they found and corrected the error. But it does show that any system can fail.
    I saw that story, an employee and her backup couldn't log in, so they just... didn't. For like, a year they didn't run the NICS check for issuing a CWL. It was discovered when the appeals system noticed that they hadn't gotten a request for an appeal in a while from Agri, and started asking around.

A coworker just got her license last year and the fingerprints were delayed, so I wanted to ask her when I see her next week to check the dates. I'm pretty sure that the CWL permits still got the finger prints run, but that the NICS check is done on top of that for other disqualifying conditions that are not criminal related. So it wasn't like 100,000 people didn't get a background check, just that some of them didn't get the additional background check.

Still disgraceful though, just because a couple employees didn't want to call IT.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

The whole thing with not running the checks for the concealed carry licenses.....

How many recipients of these licences commited violent crime with their 'faux' ccw? None? Hmmm....interesting

Seems to me that CCW checks are pointless, and this little kerfuffle seems to speak to that.
    If you claim to support the second amendment, and have to qualify it with preconditions, you don't support the second amendment.

I mean, it is worth noting that (aside from the CWL doing 2 other background checks, this being a third) the purchase of an actual firearm would have still gone through the background check anyway. The license doesn't exempt you from that.

I saw that the American Medical Association has come out with a statement that ~300 deaths a year is a public health epidemic, so they want to ban assault weapons.
    "There's a place to start and this should be it," Dr. Jim Hinsdale, a San Jose, California, trauma surgeon, said before the vote.

Not really surprising, I guess.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    I mean, it is worth noting that (aside from the CWL doing 2 other background checks, this being a third) the purchase of an actual firearm would have still gone through the background check anyway. The license doesn't exempt you from that.

I saw that the American Medical Association has come out with a statement that ~300 deaths a year is a public health epidemic, so they want to ban assault weapons.
    "There's a place to start and this should be it," Dr. Jim Hinsdale, a San Jose, California, trauma surgeon, said before the vote.

Not really surprising, I guess.
    300 deaths is a epidemic? lol! Gheeze, why doesn't the AMA call road death's a epidemic? And I wonder how many die each year from jay walking? And it seems there have been several lately dying from taking selfies close to dangerous cliff drop-offs. And even sadder, people leaving babies in cars with the windows rolled up, alone in very hot weather.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

7+ Year Old Account
    http://news4sanantonio.com/news/loca...ayor-announces

Arrest made in fatal road rage shooting of 8-year-old girl, Houston Mayor announces
    by News 4 San Antonio

Wednesday, March 1st 2017

HOUSTON — An arrest has been made in a fatal road rage shooting of an 8-year-old girl, Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner's office announced Wednesday.

Authorities did not release the name of the suspect out of concern it would jeopardize the ongoing investigation, but said the suspect that was arrested is 19-years-old.

The arrest comes after the Texas Governor's Office offered up $10,000 for information in the fatal shooting of De'Maree Adkins.

Adkins was shot and killed after surviving a car crash in Houston. Police say two other cars struck the vehicle she was riding in with her mom on Saturday.

Someone from those two cars then got out and started shooting. A stray bullet hit the little girl, who later died in the hospital.

The drivers of the two other cars ran away after the incident.

The reward offered by the governor’s office, combined with the Houston Crime Stoppers award of $5,000 brought the total amount to $15,000.

Morality...ethics...right and wrong...are typically enacted into laws.
    More often than not, if it's against the law, then we as humans see "it" as morally and ethically wrong.

7+ Year Old Account
    https://www.khou.com/article/news/lo.../285-563856435

VIDEO: MAN SHOOTS AT DRIVER AT STOPLIGHT IN APPARENT ROAD RAGE INCIDENT
    Houston Police are now looking into what could be a violent case of road rage, and it was all caught on video. It shows someone who appears to be a security officer firing a weapon at another driver inside his truck.
    HOUSTON - Houston Police are now looking into what could be a violent case of road rage, and it was all caught on video.

It shows someone who appears to be a security officer firing a weapon at another driver inside his truck.

"Just stay on the phone, stay on the phone," they screamed in the truck.

From the back seat of this driver’s truck, it’s hard make out exactly what’s happening. But the bullets are unmistakable.
    ☰MENU

LOCAL
    VIDEO: MAN SHOOTS AT DRIVER AT STOPLIGHT IN APPARENT ROAD RAGE INCIDENT
    Houston Police are now looking into what could be a violent case of road rage, and it was all caught on video. It shows someone who appears to be a security officer firing a weapon at another driver inside his truck.

Author: Janelle Bludau
    Published: 06/12/18
    HOUSTON - Houston Police are now looking into what could be a violent case of road rage, and it was all caught on video.

It shows someone who appears to be a security officer firing a weapon at another driver inside his truck.

"Just stay on the phone, stay on the phone," they screamed in the truck.

From the back seat of this driver’s truck, it’s hard make out exactly what’s happening. But the bullets are unmistakable.

Loading ...
    "We saw them arguing, and he tells me to pull out my phone. So I pulled it out and start recording. And sure enough, something happens," Leo De La Fuente said.

But De La Fuente had no idea that would happen when he and his friends pulled up to the stoplight at Aldine Westfield and Little York Road.

“It was just on our mind the whole night, like, just wow. Just wow," De La Fuente said.

No one seems to know why, but the guy dressed like a security officer reached into the window of a red Ford. As the driver starts to pull away, the apparent security officer fires his gun several times at the truck.

No one knows if the driver was hit.

“The other guy wasn’t looking for no trouble. I felt bad because he was in fear. What can you do you? In an instant, a bullet takes your life away, like wow," De La Fuente said.

We tried to check on that driver, but he wasn’t home. His daughter, Alondra, was, though. It was the first time she saw the video.

“Seeing him drive away, I'm not really that scared anymore, but I’m still kind of shocked," Alondra said.

Alondra hadn’t talked to her dad since the shooting, but has learned from a family member that he’s OK.

“He’s strong. He’ll get over it," she said.

She, more than anyone, wants to know what happened and why.

“From the video, there really wasn’t anything that bad or extreme for him to pull out the gun and shoot at him like that. I think it was just too much," Alondra said.

Houston Police are investigating the shooting. They are asking anyone with information to contact them.

Just another "good guy with a guy" story.

The gun control issue boils down to this one metaphorical point. The supposition of gun control is the same as telling the rams of the herd that if they give up their horns, the wolves will give up their teeth. But the same is true of sheep, they will vote in the person who promises to keep the safe and protected, even if that same person is the same one that will slaughter them later.

When we as a society want to tackle the root cause of why there are mass shootings, for example, we are going to come face to face with child abuse and neglect, being raised in broken homes and by single parent mothers, medically suppressed by psychoactive drugs because no one knew what to do with a boisterous inattentive child, being bullied, and being indoctrinated to hate people because they are (insert category here). If we're not going to start doing something about any of this shit, the killings will continue, and no one is going to be there to stop them. No, instead, society wants to take the guns away from the people who need them to protect themselves from the monsters we're turning out from their broken families, miserable and desperate to get even with society for putting them in that situation, and leaving defenseless the ones who need protection when the sheep dogs are cowering and looking the other way (here's looking at the pussy officers at Parkland that cowered instead of confront a shooter, like they are paid to do).

We don't see mass shootings EVER occur in NRA conventions, police stations or gun shows. Wanna take a guess as to why that is?
    "The fatal flaw of every plan, no matter how well planned, is the assumption that you know more than your enemy."

10+ Year Old Account
    NRA fanboys here?

Oh YA!

Its like a snail orgy party.
    “Life is and will ever remain an equation incapable of solution, but it contains certain known factors.”

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem."
    To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated.
    ~~Trefor Thomas

Listing things for which only the perpetrators are responsible and for which it would be manifestly unjust to make the innocent sacrifice to atone? I mean... if you are having fun, sure.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    Listing things for which only the perpetrators are responsible and for which it would be manifestly unjust to make the innocent sacrifice to atone? I mean... if you are having fun, sure.
    Get with the program, your NRA buddy said shootings don't happen at police stations. You people are delusional, you only see what you want to see.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    "To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem."
    To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated.
    ~~Trefor Thomas
    Thats a good quote...for a mass shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Medium9 View Post
    It's still fucked up to argue the wrongness of slavery through something as constructed as laws. The law, formerly, allowed it. Was it morally okay back then?
    You miss the point that "right and wrong" are what usually is the basis for law. And as we see via history, we learned to be better and adjusted law accordingly.
    You want to get stuck on the past just to make some point doesn't show progression of thought on your part.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    Thats a good quote...for a mass shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Medium9 View Post
    Ahem, no you're not getting the point. If I have to argue through laws what should immediately be motivated by basic human decency and nothing else... that's my issue. Has nothing to with with the past. This was just to illustrate my point, meaning that he'd probably follow whatever his country's law dictates, regardless of how morally screwed those laws might be. The law is the defining factor for him, not morals and logic. That's the kind of people one gets when fostering the religious type over the thinking one. Scripture overrides everything. That is not healthy in any way, and also an easy way out of having to think for yourself, and also providing very convenient spots to point towards and never really take responsibility yourself. "It is how it is written!" - that's so 1500s.
    But "basic human decency" is what is enacted into law.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Melusine View Post
    The gun control issue boils down to this one metaphorical point. The supposition of gun control is the same as telling the rams of the herd that if they give up their horns, the wolves will give up their teeth. But the same is true of sheep, they will vote in the person who promises to keep the safe and protected, even if that same person is the same one that will slaughter them later.

When we as a society want to tackle the root cause of why there are mass shootings, for example, we are going to come face to face with child abuse and neglect, being raised in broken homes and by single parent mothers, medically suppressed by psychoactive drugs because no one knew what to do with a boisterous inattentive child, being bullied, and being indoctrinated to hate people because they are (insert category here). If we're not going to start doing something about any of this shit, the killings will continue, and no one is going to be there to stop them. No, instead, society wants to take the guns away from the people who need them to protect themselves from the monsters we're turning out from their broken families, miserable and desperate to get even with society for putting them in that situation, and leaving defenseless the ones who need protection when the sheep dogs are cowering and looking the other way (here's looking at the pussy officers at Parkland that cowered instead of confront a shooter, like they are paid to do).

We don't see mass shootings EVER occur in NRA conventions, police stations or gun shows. Wanna take a guess as to why that is?
    And guess what prevailing political ideology is at the forefront of not using the collective power and catalyst of government to enact change on those socioeconomic problems? Which ideology is speeding headlong into a completely avoidable crisis due to their purity into ensuring taxes and public welfare are so low, so meager, that any attempt is hamstrung by lack of resources?
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

Blaming principles of limited government for a latter day, mostly generational cultural rot is as illogical as blaming the 2nd Amendment itself; we would have seen the things of which you are complaining throughout American history, not from the 90s on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    http://news4sanantonio.com/news/loca...ayor-announces

Arrest made in fatal road rage shooting of 8-year-old girl, Houston Mayor announces
    by News 4 San Antonio

Wednesday, March 1st 2017

HOUSTON — An arrest has been made in a fatal road rage shooting of an 8-year-old girl, Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner's office announced Wednesday.

Authorities did not release the name of the suspect out of concern it would jeopardize the ongoing investigation, but said the suspect that was arrested is 19-years-old.

The arrest comes after the Texas Governor's Office offered up $10,000 for information in the fatal shooting of De'Maree Adkins.

Adkins was shot and killed after surviving a car crash in Houston. Police say two other cars struck the vehicle she was riding in with her mom on Saturday.

Someone from those two cars then got out and started shooting. A stray bullet hit the little girl, who later died in the hospital.

The drivers of the two other cars ran away after the incident.

The reward offered by the governor’s office, combined with the Houston Crime Stoppers award of $5,000 brought the total amount to $15,000.
    A tragic event, caused by someone who illegally had a handgun. Public transportation would also have helped prevent these type of road rage incidents.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Melusine View Post

Well said. Some excellent points made.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    Get with the program, your NRA buddy said shootings don't happen at police stations. You people are delusional, you only see what you want to see.
    Same for you. You are quick to dismiss the cases of people successfully defending themselves. Of course there are cases of firearms being misused by irresponsible people. As is the case of many other objects.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Two armed citizens were credited for taking action Sunday when a carjacking suspect when on a rampage in Washington state, about 30 miles southwest of Tacoma.

At least one of the citizens fired the shot that killed the unidentified suspect, who was in a Walmart parking lot in Tumwater, attempting to commandeer vehicles, Seattle's Q13 Fox reported, citing a police news release.

Injured in the suspect's violent spree were the driver of one of the cars he attempted to highjack, and a 16-year-old girl at another location who suffered unspecified injuries, the Seattle Times reported.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/06/18...olice-say.html

Another example of armed citizens stopping a criminal from doing any more harm to victims
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2018-06-18 at 11:30 AM.