Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    I like how a non-lethal taser is illegal, but a lethal firearm is perfectly legal... Oh and some of you have odd weirds views of "robbers", for some reason you assume that if someone is willing to rob you he is also willing to kill you. If they wanted to rob you they could easily do it while you were away. What kind of robber robs you while you're at home (even unarmed you're a threat btw!) while the house next door is empty? And if they are not just robbers, but murderers or rapists i'm sure they could trick you into opening the door and get held at gunpoint before you even had a chance to pull you're gun (element of surprise and all).
    Most often its the people who are thought of as vulnerable that need to defend from robbers while they are home

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...oots-dead.html
    http://news.yahoo.com/okla-woman-sho...091106413.html
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_1992381.html

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh and some of you have odd weirds views of "robbers", for some reason you assume that if someone is willing to rob you he is also willing to kill you.
    I know, right. It's almost like that's never happened before. It's almost like a robbery has never turned into a murder. Ever. It's never happened.

Also, home invasions have never lead to the homeowners being killed. So yeah, I agree. It's weird that people would make such assumptions.

And if they are not just robbers, but murderers or rapists i'm sure they could trick you into opening the door and get held at gunpoint before you even had a chance to pull you're gun (element of surprise and all).
    So what I'm getting from that statement is: Guns for home defense are useless because the robbers will just trick us using trickery tactics. Is that what you're saying?
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroesec View Post
    The different between baseball bat and gun of course, is you have to work pretty damn hard to kill someone with the former. With the latter, it makes it so easy, before you know it you have at your feet a dead 22 year old who just made some poor decisions the last few years of his life.
    Skroesec, your zealotry blinds you to simple facts.

Do you know how many justifiable shooting homicides by citizens there are per year? Only about 200. Do you know how many times per year would-be intruders are scared away by the presence of a firearm in the hands of a defender? About 500,000 to 1,000,000.

Empirically, having a gun for home defense and using said gun to actually shoot someone dead are not the same thing. Even allowing for, say, twice as many cases of unjustifiable shooting homicides, that's still around 1:1000 killing defenses to non-killing defenses.

---------- Post added 2013-03-16 at 12:01 PM ----------

Oh and some of you have odd weirds views of "robbers", for some reason you assume that if someone is willing to rob you he is also willing to kill you.
    And for some reason, a lot of anti-gun people here seem to assume that if someone is using a gun for self defense, that means they're automatically going to go all Clint Eastwood and blow someone away rather than just tell them to GTFO.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Skroesec, your zealotry blinds you to simple facts.

Do you know how many justifiable shooting homicides by citizens there are per year? Only about 200. Do you know how many times per year would-be intruders are scared away by the presence of a firearm in the hands of a defender? About 500,000 to 1,000,000.

Empirically, having a gun for home defense and using said gun to actually shoot someone dead are not the same thing. Even allowing for, say, twice as many cases of unjustifiable shooting homicides, that's still around 1:1000 killing defenses to non-killing defenses.

---------- Post added 2013-03-16 at 12:01 PM ----------

And for some reason, a lot of anti-gun people here seem to assume that if someone is using a gun for self defense, that means they're automatically going to go all Clint Eastwood and blow someone away rather than just tell them to GTFO.
    That is how I used my firearms, didn't shoot just told him he picked the wrong fucking house.

If the individual was there just to rob me, why did he come up stairs with a fucking machete when plenty of valuables are in the first floor of my home.

Anti gun people live in a fantasy land.

Now I am going to say something that I am sure I am going to get a bunch of flak for.

People always keep saying "Human life is precious". You know what fuck that. Human life is not precious 7 billion and growing in this world it sure as hell doesn't sound like a precious little flower that the left keeps screaming about.

You know what is precious the life and safety of your family, friends, loved ones. Joe Fucktard that is breaking into my house (while people are at home) to steal at the very least, or to possibly cause harm to myself or loved ones. As far as I am concerned he is a walking corpse.

I don't give jack and shit about his social and economic problems. I grew up dirt poor, I have gone hungry, I lived in a tent cause I couldn't afford rent. Not only did I NEVER break into someones house while they were home, I beat the odds and now live a comfortable lifestyle.

15+ Year Old Account
    I like how a non-lethal taser is illegal, but a lethal firearm is perfectly legal... Oh and some of you have odd weirds views of "robbers", for some reason you assume that if someone is willing to rob you he is also willing to kill you. If they wanted to rob you they could easily do it while you were away. What kind of robber robs you while you're at home (even unarmed you're a threat btw!) while the house next door is empty? And if they are not just robbers, but murderers or rapists i'm sure they could trick you into opening the door and get held at gunpoint before you even had a chance to pull you're gun (element of surprise and all).
    are you really that foolish to believe robberies happen in broad daylight most Break and enter will happen at night and yes if they are willing to break into my house then i will assume they are desperate enough to try and kill me

---------- Post added 2013-03-16 at 08:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Maneo View Post
    That is how I used my firearms, didn't shoot just told him he picked the wrong fucking house.

If the individual was there just to rob me, why did he come up stairs with a fucking machete when plenty of valuables are in the first floor of my home.

Anti gun people live in a fantasy land.

Now I am going to say something that I am sure I am going to get a bunch of flak for.

People always keep saying "Human life is precious". You know what fuck that. Human life is not precious 7 billion and growing in this world it sure as hell doesn't sound like a precious little flower that the left keeps screaming about.

You know what is precious the life and safety of your family, friends, loved ones. Joe Fucktard that is breaking into my house (while people are at home) to steal at the very least, or to possibly cause harm to myself or loved ones. As far as I am concerned he is a walking corpse.

I don't give jack and shit about his social and economic problems. I grew up dirt poor, I have gone hungry, I lived in a tent cause I couldn't afford rent. Not only did I NEVER break into someones house while they were home, I beat the odds and now live a comfortable lifestyle.
    that right there is the problem they think guns are bad until they are the ones on their knees with on pointed at their heads wishing they had one at that point

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxinius View Post
    are you really that foolish to believe robberies happen in broad daylight most Break and enter will happen at night and yes if they are willing to break into my house then i will assume they are desperate enough to try and kill me[COLOR="red"]
    Picture from the washingtonpost with some "fun facts". Here's a hint in case you missed the point. Most robbers don't seek confrontation purposely. Those that do, come with the intend to meet resistance and thus are prepared, you having a gun means they need to bring a gun aswell, so all you've done is escalate the situation.
    Last edited by mmocff76f9a79b; 2013-03-16 at 09:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroesec View Post
    Home defense being the "primary reason for gun support" speaks not of actual problems with crime and security, but of the paranoia of people possessing guns. You want less crime? Get your town to hire more cops. God knows there are plenty of qualified people testing to be cops but not getting hired because of funding shortages. If you want to protect your home, get a taser or hell, get a baseball bat.
    Town? What town? This is a rural community with less than 50 people living in it. Are you saying we should make our own police force? And if so, how would that be different than all of us just owning weapons?

Picture from the washingtonpost with some "fun facts". Here's a hint in case you missed the point. Most robbers don't seek confrontation purposely. Those that do, come with the intend to meet resistance and thus are prepared, you having a gun means they need to bring a gun aswell, so all you've done is escalate the situation.
    The burglars that aren't seeking confrontation will break in when you're not at home and you will not shoot them.

The burglars that know that someone is still home, but break in anyway, are a different story. If they assume there's going to be a firefight or confrontation and thus come armed, the presence or absence of your firearm won't change that except in giving you a usable defense. They don't send you a survey ahead of time asking if you'll be confronting them violently.

15+ Year Old Account
    you seem to not get the point here they are breaking into to my house if im there i have my gun with in arms reach at all times they are desperate enough to break in they are desperate enough to try and kill me especially if drugs are involved if there is any assumption that they have a weapon i will have no second thought about opening fire after warning them to get out and i am protected under the castle doctrine to do so sorry idc what their reasoning is they broke in they get one warning if they dont comply with said warning they get lead

Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    Giving a robber that breaks into your house the benefit of the doubt that all they're going to do is take property seems like a bad idea. There are plenty of examples where break ins leading to violent assaults, rape, and murder, even with a subdued home owner.

If someone decides to break into my house, I'll assume the worst. That's doesn't mean we should immediately pump them full of lead, but the situation should be treated as a threat to life.
    A lot of folks seem to assume that anyone that owns a gun is like the stories that have appeared on here, like the guy that gunned down a door to door salesman because he had a no-tresspassing sign. Obviously the vast majority of gun owners are not like that, of we'd have 100's of thousands of deaths each year.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajadog20 View Post
    I can't believe this, are people actually stupid enough to think that making laws against guns is going to keep them out of the hands of criminals? Really!?!?

It's already illegal for criminals to own a firearm.
    You talk about stupidity whilst missing the point entirely... The objective isn't to rule out criminal activities or mass shootings all together, it's to reduce them... you know, damage control.

Criminals have unparalleled access to firearms in the US because the ease of access. That couple with the majority of people failing to secure their weapons for a minimal cost, hundreds of thousands are stolen each year.

Even if guns aren't banned, there is definitely a need for change in regulation. It's beyond a joke how violent the US is.

Oh and the fact that you don't need AR-15's or anything like it. A shotgun and a bolt-action should suffice.

10+ Year Old Account
    they are not just banning assault rifles. there banning pistols, rifles, and bows lol.

---------- Post added 2013-03-16 at 05:47 PM ----------

You live in england. you have the lowest murder rate from guns and your annual kills from guns are 14. In america people will still find a way to get guns. Leaveing the people without guns hopeless. and robbed maybe even dead.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xZANGEITIx View Post
    they are not just banning assault rifles. there banning pistols, rifles, and bows lol.

---------- Post added 2013-03-16 at 05:47 PM ----------

You live in england. you have the lowest murder rate from guns and your annual kills from guns are 14. In america people will still find a way to get guns. Leaveing the people without guns hopeless. and robbed maybe even dead.
    So, where is your proof of that?

And saying " They will always find a way so let's just leave it and let them do it " is retarded.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by James Tiberius Kirk View Post
    So, where is your proof of that?

And saying " They will always find a way so let's just leave it and let them do it " is retarded.
    im sorry im trying to figure out why you care so much live your life in england we will live ours

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Statistically speaking how often do those situations you describe actually happen? I would hazard a lot less than the number of crimes potentially aborted because the victim happened to be carrying.
    If you're asking me, "How many gun-related crimes have occurred because of how easy guns are to access", I would say "All of them".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    If you're asking me, "How many gun-related crimes have occurred because of how easy guns are to access", I would say "All of them".
    No, I'm not. I am asking how often those situations actually occur, because statistically speaking the vast majority of gun owners are relatively responsible with their firearms.

Contrast this with a place like Australia where guns are thoroughly illegal and the gun crime rate is rising again. So no, ease of access is not a terribly large factor in gun violence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxinius View Post
    im sorry im trying to figure out why you care so much live your life in england we will live ours
    I like it how America often makes it its business to concern itself with how others live their lives, but when someone does it to them, it's an outrage

As for caring so much, I don't care THAT much... You're free to murder yourselves until you eventually realize that the second amendment is just self-perpetuating violence. You have guns to protect yourself from others with guns... that have guns because they're so easily accessible. Okay.

15+ Year Old Account
    I like it how America often makes it its business to concern itself with how others live their lives, but when someone does it to them, it's an outrage

As for caring so much, I don't care THAT much... You're free to murder yourselves until you eventually realize that the second amendment is just self-perpetuating violence. You have guns to protect yourself from others with guns... that have guns because they're so easily accessible. Okay.
    im just returning the same crap that we're met with most of the time its none of your business now kindly piss off

10+ Year Old Account

Criminals don't care whether or not guns are illegal. It's a lot easier to control the flow of firearms on a piddly little island compared to something the size of the US with a large border with a developing country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account

You're assuming that the person you're talking to is for meddling in the affairs in other nations. I don't think my country should be telling others how to live, and I don't think other countries should be telling mine how to live.