Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Just need something verified

So a school gets shot up in America and the sky is falling. Everyone is outraged... "how could someone do this to kids". The president is crying, etc...

But what about all the kids that get drone striked in Pakistan, Libya, Yemen, Afghanistan, Iraq, Sudan... Where is the outrage for them?
    Wheres the outrage for people starving to death in Africa?
    Wheres the outrage over the factors which lead to mass shootings, like economies that seem to never get better, where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, where the people we elect to solve our problems take money from the problem creators and bail them out.

Why is western society so outraged over this shooting, but barely anyone cares about the rest of the world?

Don't turn this into a left vs. right or pro gun vs. anti gun please. I just want to know why we've become so desensitized when it comes to issues abroad, but when its at home we act so noble and angered.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because if people care for everyone as opposed to primarily caring about those relatively connected to them, by being American, they would go insane. Such apathy is ultimately a defense mechanism.

Quote Originally Posted by Kivimetsan View Post
    But what about all the kids that get drone striked in Pakistan, Libya, Yemen, Afghanistan, Iraq, Sudan... Where is the outrage for them?
    Blow them up before they blow themselves up. Tragic.

Infracted: Please refrain from making race-wide generalizations and inflammatory posts in general.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2012-12-18 at 12:32 AM.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

Deleted
    I'll bite,

We are not told to care about Pakistan, Libya, Yemen, etc...

We are told to care about stuff that happens within our own country.

Its all about media exposure

[Edit]
    Something else to add would be: Stories that are close to home, sell a lot better....
    Last edited by mmocf58fd28d19; 2012-12-16 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Added stuff

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vexy View Post
    I'll bite,

We are not told to care about Pakistan, Libya, Yemen, etc...

We are told to care about stuff that happens within our own country.

Its all about media exposure
    If the only things you care about are the things told to you by the media, you have a bigger problem then lack of apathy :P

OT: Because they are there, and we are here.

10+ Year Old Account
    But how can a president cry for kids dying in his own country but he doesn't cry when he orders the death of kids in another country... just because they're collateral damage? Thats insanity.

So a school gets shot up in America and the sky is falling. Everyone is outraged... "how could someone do this to kids". The president is crying, etc...

Wheres the outrage over the factors which lead to mass shootings, like economies that seem to never get better, where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, where the people we elect to solve our problems take money from the problem creators and bail them out.

Why is western society so outraged over this shooting, but barely anyone cares about the rest of the world?

Don't turn this into a left vs. right or pro gun vs. anti gun please. I just want to know why we've become so desensitized when it comes to issues abroad, but when its at home we act so noble and angered.

its simple really. no one can care about everything the world is to big. the problems to broad. if you just concerned yourself about children dying... world wide you would greive every second of the day for the rest of your life ..you would literally have to grieve every 4 seconds as a new child has died.. http://www.globalissues.org/article/...ound-the-world

we arnt built like that.. which is why news from abroad has a tendency to be desensitized .. you are INCAPABLE of grieving that much if their isnt anything you can do you have a tendency to dismiss it.. it doesnt mean you dont care or that its not sad.. stuff closer to home.. is easier to deal with as its localized.. for all the anger the nation feels at the moment is nothing compared to the anger the town feels... and that pales in comparison to the anguish and pain the children and parents are going through right now..

and this is just children now addon to the rest of the deaths and wrong doings and you just dont have time to deal with it all their litterally are just not enough seconds in the day.

Of your examples, only starvation in Africa and drone strikes that directly affect children approach an apples to apples comparison. With that established, the complexity here is the setting and circumstances in which these children are dying.

Starvation in Africa is an ongoing problem that is constantly being combated by relief aid and international assistance, yet more needs to be done. However, people are not shocked or surprised when enough aid doesn't reach enough children; it is, very sadly, not a shock.

Drone strikes that directly affect children are also not something anyone likes, but people understand that in armed conflicts there will be tragic sufferers that do not deserve it. Again, people are not shocked that children are affected in horrible ways when they are caught in the midst of armed conflicts.

Flash to Connecticut. Here you have a setting and circumstance that is, in a way, somewhat of a model for where we'd like starvation in Africa and drone strikes hitting children to be at: Not a threat. We have a setting where we can say, "We don't expect at all for mass tragedy to affect children here, they are safe." That is a setting and a circumstance where, when that perception is shattered, it shakes people to their core.

This is just my view on it. As others have contributed already, there is also the factor of being distanced from the tragedies in Africa and elsewhere abroad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Drone strikes don't intentionally target children so the public sees them differently. There's no way I can speak for 314 million other Americans, but I'm not in favor of drone strikes. I don't even know what we're accomplishing with them. Almost everyone is tired of war. With that said, we don't get to vote them down. Both Obama and Romney were going to keep them going, so it's not like we're supporting such things with our votes.

But how can a president cry for kids dying in his own country but he doesn't cry when he orders the death of kids in another country... just because they're collateral damage? Thats insanity.
    Just for comparison. How many tears did you cry?

I laughed so hard thinking about this.... *Obama looking at a monitor* "Yea, that one there.... No the the left. He looks like a punk, get him."
    It's like crossing an intersection. There's shit going on all over the place and you don't panic and act like an idiot then do you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    Regarding children getting "drone striked," it's hard for me to believe that even a single child has died in a drone strike because I have no reason to trust the media.
    Its well documented, its not just the media that reports on collateral damage...

So basically the answer is; They're in another country and we are superior because we're America. Humanity is fucked.

hmm i do believe children and innocents have been caught and are casualty's of war. but you have an emeny that will use these same civilians to hide behind so that we wont attack.. a child walking toward your family with a grenade / bomb strapped to thier chest crying.. hobbling and bleeding from what he/her being forced to do.. still leaves you no choice but to shoot before they get close .. its not the childs fault.. its not the shooters fault.. its the person who put the children in the way intentionally.. yes my example is extreme..but no more invalid than a terrorist who sleeps with his family in hopes he wont be killed by drone strikes...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkyjunky View Post
    Just for comparison. How many tears did you cry?
    I didn't cry...
    Why would I?

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account

Well, lets see. There are a great many groups here in America that DO complain about the drone strikes that kill innocent civilians in other parts of the world. There are a great many charitable organizations in America that send food and other resources to those starving in other countries rather than feeding those that are starving in this country. There are a great many people here that ARE outraged over the world economies, but would rather bail themselves out of debt than bail others out. Nobody has to turn this into a left vs. right or pro-gun vs. anti-gun thing since you already did that as well as turning it into an anti-American thing.

My suggestion is that you take care of your own before you take care of others. If there are people starving in your country, then feed them before you send food and other things to other countries.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

Because people care more about the things that are closer to them. (emotionally closer, physically closer, culturally closer, etc.....)

10+ Year Old Account
    Humanity is fucked.
    So do something about it.

Perspective, actually. Not insanity.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

I didn't cry...
    Why would I?
    I assumed you where some sort of saint, since you could pinpoint a single person and tell wheither he cried or not.
    But i get it now. You assumed he didnt cry?

10+ Year Old Account
    I stopped caring about tragic events long time ago (emotionally). Unless it happens in my neighbour or to someone I know personally I won't invest myself emotionally.