Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    I loved those 2 games on gba, and I'm really not a fan of jrpg usually. That's how good they were.

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't remember exactly what I didn't like about it. It was a long time ago after all. I just remember not liking it and giving it up.

The GBA games are phenomenal.

Too bad the story of the third one was so godawful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ichime View Post
    I loved those 2 games on gba, and I'm really not a fan of jrpg usually. That's how good they were.
    I wouldn't classify it as a jrpg itself had no mechanic that was "japanese-ish" to call it jrpg itself, the only thing it's japanese in it's style is where it came from, but it has a fairly stale rpg style with attack/power/summon that we're totally used to, it's not as different as games like grandia where you can nottice the japanese element (or chrono trigger)

10+ Year Old Account
    Damn i don't want to try playing the 3rd one on an emulator, everyone tells me bad omens of that game... plus I can't seem to find a competent emulator :c (yeah, buying DS games on my country is totally impossible, only games like mario or big names arrive here :C)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    I wouldn't classify it as a jrpg itself had no mechanic that was "japanese-ish" to call it jrpg itself, the only thing it's japanese in it's style is where it came from, but it has a fairly stale rpg style with attack/power/summon that we're totally used to, it's not as different as games like grandia where you can nottice the japanese element (or chrono trigger)
    The style, the combat system and look, pretty much everything screams jrpg.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    This game:

When I was younger I asked my parents for a GBA. but they never bought me one.

So I was forced to play one by other means.

Then I found Golden Sun and it's second part.

I have never ever seen such a underappreciated game ever, it was one of the best games I ever played. Right up there...

Did you ever play it? Did you finish both games? It is truly epic in my opinion.
    I LOVED the first game, never finished the 2nd one though one of my favorite RPGs on the GBA. Also loved Ogre Gaiden Tactics!
    Let's make America GREAT again. Trump 2016.

The community whined and bitched and cried, they stamped their little feet and demanded faster expansion releases. They don't get to complain now that expansions are shorter.

Absolutely loved the first 2. They took up so much of my free time towards the end of my degree that I damn near failed! :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Right the way up there with the Legend of Zelda series in my mind. GS: Dark Dawn was pretty damn good too.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    everyone tells me bad omens of that game...
    It was "okay," but just really lacking compared to the other two before it.

The big gameplay flaw was that you couldn't go back and get every Djinn if you missed them past certain points.

There are huge changes to the population, map, and cultures of the world and hand-waving "Well, Alchemy was restored!" does little to make the huge changes to the environment believable.

They tried to cram in a Lost Age-sized character roster into a game the size of GS1, so there's really no time to develop half the characters, and there's a lot less emotional attachment and character-based sub plots.

It does have some good points though. The "new" world is really cool, and there are a few important unanswered questions that get answered.

I loved how you were the two different groups in each of the games. Was kinda cool to be the chasers the first game and then get to follow the others in the 2nd version.

Deleted
    Oh yes I love these two games. I remember first playing it on my cousin's GBA at school as a kid and being amazed at the graphics, music and combat. It looks awesome for its time and the illusion of 3D during the battles when the perspective shifts for certain spells was quite cool.

The story is fairly good, and the puzzles are great too, but what I *really* love about these games is the class system. There are so many possibilities and combinations of Djinn and it's quite intuitive.

I actually recently revisited both games on emulators and they still hook me in.

Also the "villains" in GS1 are fairly interesting. Kinda makes *you* feel like the bad guy in the end and then playing as that side in GS2 was a cool follow-up.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2012-12-17 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    underappreciated
    Was it, though? When they came out, I saw almost nothing but praise, and everyone in my inner circle of gamers loved the series just as much as I did.

Unfortunately, the formula's a little old for me, now, and I never finished the third one. =(
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

10+ Year Old Account
    Great games, the first was the reason I bought a GBA and my friend ended up getting TLA (randomly) and didn't like it so he gave it to me....his loss

I still own the games but they're both used without it's boxes seeing as I lost the original ones I owned. Though I still own the map of Angara

When I was kid one of the things I loved doing after I beat the first one (besides replaying it) was flipping through the manual and the back of the map....the concept art was fantastic imo

P.S. While I've heard average things about it, I really need to get my hands on Dark Dawn and play it

---------- Post added 2012-12-18 at 09:29 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lovecrafts View Post
    I LOVED the first game, never finished the 2nd one though one of my favorite RPGs on the GBA. Also loved Ogre Gaiden Tactics!
    Second one was great, I always held the first one in higher praise next to TLA but once I got older I realized just how much better it really was. Getting to Lemuria for the first time was fantastic and the journey there was just as good (Aqua rock music ftw).
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

To me it was the best GBA game ever made (2). I've finished and completed it 100% 5 times or so now. 1 was pretty good too, but starting on 2 I feel set the bar too high in terms of gameplay, storyline (although I was able to understand it fully after finishing 1), and especially content (as 2 had way more than double what 1 had). Wasn't really able to appreciate 1 to its fullest. Still, both are amazing games, and I'll always hold on to mine (even though my golden sun 1 game cartridge is corrupted and can't save anymore D=)

Great games. Very difficult as well which made it 10x more fun.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightamethyst View Post
    Am I the only one who didn't like this game? I played part way through, thought it was awful, and gave up.
    Personally i loved them but the game style is rather unique with dungeons and puzzles in them, using your "spells" to solve them, mazes. I can understand if some people don't like it. I remember struggling in the game almost all the time until i got my 4th party member and fighting Poseidon, that was a great fight

I played Golden Sun games on GBA, never tried the one on NDS. Very sweet games with only one minus - they are quite short.

Also some developers of Golden Sun are also those who worked on Shining series. You can clearly see it in interface, art style, etc. "Shining" style.

10+ Year Old Account
    got about 60% of the way through the first one got stuck in the ship fighting the kraken.
    played the second one and couldn't figure out how to get past the first chapter. found out i was missing an essential psynergy from the first game.......
    never played the third one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    got about 60% of the way through the first one got stuck in the ship fighting the kraken.
    played the second one and couldn't figure out how to get past the first chapter. found out i was missing an essential psynergy from the first game.......
    never played the third one.
    I know the comment is somewhat old but that's a lie, the game is fairly linear in the way you tackle it until you get Piers' ship so the only thing you were lacking was awareness cause they wouldn't make you have to link the previous game in order to progress (the link is just there for extras).
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"