Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Is there a trial for RIFT?

I have been checking out Rift, because I know that several of my gaming partners are getting kind of burned out on WoW. I love WoW, been playing since Vanilla and I am thoroughly enjoying Mist, but if they leave I won't have any desire to play it any longer.

We've tried other games, Guild Wars 2 was promising but lack of end-game raiding made us kind of stop, despite how beautiful it was. We still play on rare occasion. Star Wars sucked... I did not enjoy it in the least.

I'd like to try Rift, but after spending so much money on other games that failed us, I am just not putting another $60+ into something until I know I'll like it. I was browsing the website but didn't see a free trial or anything like that. Does one exist? (Trying to limit my browsing while at work).

Looked into a few classes... Blade Dancer, Assassin and Nightblades appealed to me a lot, but I haven't looked into deep details on what each does.

PVP isn't really my thing, but PVE and raiding is huge for me. Would this game deliver, do ya think? Any details would be great!
    Roboctopus of STAY MAD - Sargeras
    http://staymad.enjin.com/

Yes! There is a 1 to 20, unlimited time trial version of rift!

During the trial you can apply a refer a friend code to your account for bonus items and a title.
    I shall PM you a link to get you started.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeonde View Post
    I have been checking out Rift, because I know that several of my gaming partners are getting kind of burned out on WoW. I love WoW, been playing since Vanilla and I am thoroughly enjoying Mist, but if they leave I won't have any desire to play it any longer.

We've tried other games, Guild Wars 2 was promising but lack of end-game raiding made us kind of stop, despite how beautiful it was. We still play on rare occasion. Star Wars sucked... I did not enjoy it in the least.

I'd like to try Rift, but after spending so much money on other games that failed us, I am just not putting another $60+ into something until I know I'll like it. I was browsing the website but didn't see a free trial or anything like that. Does one exist? (Trying to limit my browsing while at work).

Looked into a few classes... Blade Dancer, Assassin and Nightblades appealed to me a lot, but I haven't looked into deep details on what each does.

PVP isn't really my thing, but PVE and raiding is huge for me. Would this game deliver, do ya think? Any details would be great!
    We're pretty much in the same boat - why I started playing Rift in the first place.

Yes, there is a trial. It allows you to play up to lvl 20 called Rift Lite.

Yes, it will deliver. Yes, Yes... it will. Check out my link in the signature for a (hopefully) comprehensive review.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks guys, I am going to check it out.

Is there a website that will give a more in-depth class analysis than the main site?

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Be forewarned Xeonde...you will fall into this game, never to return. It is phenomenal. I still play WoW, because it's very easy to be casual over there now and I will always have a place for it, but this game will hook you. It's incredible.

Btw, in addition to the trial there's also a way to get the game and a month for free through the raptr deal.

You log 3 hours in the rift trial on a raptr account, get a code, put the code into your trion account, get Rift and a free month (20 dollar value)

10+ Year Old Account
    What is a Raptr account?

Also, Kitty, it would take a hell of a lot to pull me off WoW...I even stayed through Cataclysm! lol But, I would love for it to try!!

Yeah, I would like also know what the hell is Raptr account.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamut View Post
    Yeah, I would like also know what the hell is Raptr account.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-days-gametime

I think they ran out of keys, maybe.

Again...

o_O

So many people trying rift...

10+ Year Old Account
    Heck - I went up from 1,200 views in one month to almost 800 views on my latest video in 3 days, so it's definitely getting popular.

10+ Year Old Account
    What is a Raptr account?

Also, Kitty, it would take a hell of a lot to pull me off WoW...I even stayed through Cataclysm! lol But, I would love for it to try!!
    I kinda was around during Cata...as soon as we cleared DS in our 10 man my heart wasn't in it anymore. Then I knew we'd be looking at sooo long without content that I started playing other games. I told myself I wouldn't get sucked into Mists, but it was what WoW should have been for a long time. It taught me how to play other games alongside it though, instead of investing everything into that one game. So from someone like me, let me tell you that this game is much, much better in terms of rewarding your play and diversity of things to do. You can thank this game that WoW added so many new features and QoL in Mists.

Raptr is a game play tracking/social media kinda deal. I was very leery of trying it out, because I hate stuff like that, but it's actually pretty non invasive and doesn't hog resources. It's kinda neat to see your games broken down by time played compared to other people, what genres you like the most, etc. It's also a good way to chat with your friends across games, services, and so on. I missed out on the Rift deal the first time we saw it, but then literally a day later it was added back on there and I automatically qualified.

You can't beat getting a free MMO and a month to because the company is that confident you will like it. Make sure to be Ascended with someone from here to get more special perks when you qualify/decide to buy the game. There is a thread for the ascended info.

Also, Deepwood has a lot of people from around here as far as I know...so it's a good place to try out.

---------- Post added 2012-12-17 at 04:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-days-gametime

I think they ran out of keys, maybe.

Again...

o_O

So many people trying rift...
    Without being home on the client I can't see the exact numbers, but the website would have a large "MISSED" red banner over expired/fulfilled offers. Currently it doesn't for this one:
    http://raptr.com/rewards/rift-amateur

so anyone who is interested in this game, you need to do this.

15+ Year Old Account
    As others have mentioned, like WoW you can play the game free levels 1-20 (with some restrictions, of course). It's called Rift Lite.

Back in March this year I got hooked into Rift, while WoW was getting stale due to no more content before the release of MoP. I have to say, you can either really get hooked into Rift, or you'll flat out not be interested.

I stopped after a few months after reaching 50 with a Cleric, it was extremely fun to level using a so called 'Duracell' build. However just before Storm Legion released I tried to get back into Rift by starting to level a Warrior (I love Warriors, is my main in WoW and also my main in Guild Wars 2) but I just couldn't get into it any more, I'm not 100% sure why. The gameplay didn't feel as smooth as I had remembered it to be, but maybe I was just playing the wrong calling. Apparently in patch 1.11 there were major changes to souls and when I started to level I didn't want to use one of the preset builds they advise you to use, and I couldn't find an updated leveling guide for 1.11 (yeah I like leveling guides, the ones that tell you what build and macro's to use every 5/10 levels, it gives me an extra incentive to get to the next 5th/10th level).

I've heard a lot of positive and negative things about Storm Legion, mainly that the last levels to 60 are quite a grind, not sure if anything has been done to fix/change this.

Anyway, I'd really like to get back into the game, I might give it another shot in the next few days, not sure if I'll attempt to level my 50 Cleric or carry on trying to attempt to level my low level Warrior. If anyone knows of any updated 1.11 leveling guides (for Warriors preferably), could you pm them or post a reply? Would be much appreciated.

By the way, Raptr is a program like xfire, it tracks what games you have installed, and how much you play them, however it also rewards you for playing. For example, I received a 30% off coupon code for Gunnar Optics Eyewear just for reaching "Dedicated" with a game I can't remember.

Sorry if I hijacked the thread a bit with my story and opinion, it looked like others were sharing their experiences with the game too.

Deleted
    Its also currently completely free to play including the Storm Legion expansion from 14th-18th Dec. Unfortunately that's nearly over now.

What is a Raptr account?

I too stayed through Cata, then went to try SWTOR, which as you said, sucked. I then had some friends from SWTOR convince me to try Rift with them. Have not looked back since.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    I too stayed through Cata, then went to try SWTOR, which as you said, sucked. I then had some friends from SWTOR convince me to try Rift with them. Have not looked back since.
    Sounds familiar...
    Oh right!
    That's pretty much what happened to about 75% of the swtor sub forum regulars.
    :P

10+ Year Old Account
    How does Raptr work? I have the Desktop app running but it is not tracking me play WoW

10+ Year Old Account
    How does Raptr work? I have the Desktop app running but it is not tracking me play WoW
    You have to manually add WoW's launcher executable/game executable to your list and then it will track it. You're supposed to be playing Rift though

10+ Year Old Account
    How do I do that, and do I have to do the same for Rift?

10+ Year Old Account
    How do I do that, and do I have to do the same for Rift?
    When the program is running, I belive it is a function in the Game Library. Rift is already on the list of programs it recognizes since they do deals for it. Basically if you have a game that isn't associated with an account like Steam (which you put your ID and they'll pull the game list in) or part of their list, then you have to add it.