Why am I getting so much more dps from Destro than Aff/Demo?

460ilvl and I am pulling about 38-40k on a raid boss target dummy as destruction and only 28k as Affliction and even less on Demonology.

Affliction keeps up all dots, never falling off and haunt is up as often as it can be.

It's hard to say! Probably low gear, 5% raid haste, correct haunt time, procs analyze to re-dot in the right time... Do you have logs?

Prolly because of chaos bolt?

Quote Originally Posted by Smuttly View Post
    460ilvl and I am pulling about 38-40k on a raid boss target dummy as destruction and only 28k as Affliction and even less on Demonology.

Affliction keeps up all dots, never falling off and haunt is up as often as it can be.
    If you are only pulling 28k as afflic you are doing something extremely wrong. Are you sure you are maintaining 100% uptime on all 3 dots? Are you just standing there after you get your dots + haunt up? If you are using GoSac did you have the buff on you?
    Warlock Soloing & Progress | FC: 4141-3143-3405 | Metang, Mawile, and Klefki

It's a Raid dummy, your results should differ a lot more on a real boss. However, are you maximizing MG uptime? And are you cleaving with Havoc on another target? Something is wrong if Affliction is that far off, including Demo.

I highly recommend you get the AffDots addon as well. It should help improve your DPS alot with Affliction.
    Last edited by Ravoks; 2012-12-18 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Added addon suggestion

10+ Year Old Account
    From my personal experience (I'm in same spectrum as you: 460ish ilevel and do way better dps as destro than affli / demo) it's because destro is by far the easiest of the three specs to master in my opinion.
    Just keep nagging and trying to perfect your execution and you'll probably see affliction pull ahead. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Smuttly View Post

you might have the wrong reforging/enchants/gems

I tried last night with my newly dinged lock with ilvl of 450, and did 30002 dps over somve minutes, without the doom guard. No gems, and very few enchants, since it's mostly leveling gear i have.
    And i didn't even do it perfectly. I know it doesn't say a lot, but 28k seems like you're doing something majorly wrong, or forgetting some spells.

Edit:
    This was as affli, obviously.
    Last edited by Terridon; 2012-12-18 at 03:22 PM.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

there's no execute phase on a dummy, that's one reason why it's lower. besides, how much dps would you want to do in 460 gear anyway? 28k does seem a bit low though.
    VII.

Deleted
    Sounds like hes only timing himself for like 30 seconds which would explain mega burst dps from choas bolt spam and lesser afflic dps from slow dot ramp up. Try timing yourself for 5 minutes or so.

I have an ilvl 449 Warlock alt that does about 35-40k as Affliction on dungeon bosses.

Make sure your opening consists of a Soulburn -> Dark Soul -> Soul Swap. I was having some opening DPS issues when I was Soul Swapping before Dark Soul, personally. I didn't realize Lock DoTs did not update automatically with procs.

Refresh your Dark Soul empowered DoTs with a Fel Flame right before Dark Soul wear off, and keep a 100% Haunt Up-time during Dark Soul.

When it comes time to execute, Soul Shards are near infinite. Drain Soul, then Haunt, SB->SS to refresh, then continue Drain Souling. Always make sure your DoTs get refreshed with intellect procs. Use and abuse Pandemic to your advantage.

A guide I looked at when I was having warlock troubles was from one of Nihilum's warlocks. http://wowraids.org/affliction/