Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I find it funny how many of you only see the kid being disrespectful, it is disrespectful to abuse power to invade someone's privacy? The cops are being power abusive dicks. The guy yelling I'm in charge is hilarious.

That kid deserved to get his ass beat. I hope they really did get him kicked out of school.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Am I supposed to side with the douche that is acting like he's mentally challenged?
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Blanton said university policy allows a police officer to enter a room if he believes there is suspicious or illegal activity; however, the firing was based on inappropriate contact and had nothing to do with the officer's entry into the dorm room.

yea sooo he got fired touching the student.. not ILLEGALLY barging in the room...

/thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post

I'm not American, but there isn't any way in Hell I'm letting anyone across the threshold of my home without my approval. If there are guys outside my door without a right to come in, demanding I let them in, they can go F themselves, police or no police.
    Except it's not his home, it's an on-campus dorm room. And it wasn't police, it was campus security. When you stay on-campus, you are renting a room from the campus and they have every right to access the room any time, especially if given a cause. Try renting a hotel room, have people accuse you of throwing stuff from the window, and then telling hotel security or management they have no right to enter the room. See where it gets you. Same thing.

Now it was the actual police, they would in fact need a warrant or probable cause I believe.

He most likely had alcohol and had it hidden somewhere other than the fridge. He clearly knew the officers were coming, why else would he have set up the camera at the door?

He should be expelled, based on his maturity alone.

I live right beside of UK. Everyone here likes campus police, they're generally nice guys.

You guy are acting like the cops broke into someone's home. It's campus police, on campus grounds. The kid doesn't own the dorm, and he signed an agreement that gave all of his privacy rights away when he signed up for the dorm in the first place. If he doesn't like giving away those rights, he doesn't have to live in the dorms.

On top of that the kid is a dick and deserved it IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    That kid deserved to get his ass beat. I hope they really did get him kicked out of school.
    People like you throw me off. You want to give police more power?

1) why does he need to be brutalized? Because he was disrespectful?
    2) Why does he need to be kicked out of school? Did they find what they were looking for?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    Legally be that as it may, it can be used against him.
    Things you are allowed by law to do have no bearing "against you". It can't be used "against him". He was within his rights to do what he did.

As an aside, here's the policy: http://www.uky.edu/Housing/undergraduate/policies.html

Room Entry Policy

Authorized university personnel may enter a student's residence hall room without permission for the following reasons:

1. To provide routine maintenance
    2. To provide routine inspections to ensure that residents are following health, fire, and safety regulations
    3. To respond to emergency situations; e.g., situations which threaten the health and/or safety of room occupants, and situations which require immediate maintenance to prevent property damage or immediate action to correct the health, fire and/or safety risk
    4. When there is reason to believe that a violation of university policy is taking place in the room and occupants in the room do not open the door when requested to do so.

Authorization to enter a student's room under this policy does not constitute authorization to conduct a search of the room.
    The wording of 4. can be called into question. The occupant of the room did open the door when requested to do so. He just didn't allow the campus police entry.

Also, the campus police did search the fridge and some other places, which they had no right to do, except of course if you argue the guy gave them authorization.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    the First Amendment does not in any way apply.
    You're kidding, right?

Man, you just found the easiest way ever of screwing with the constitution.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2012-12-18 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    Wow... I'm talking directly to all the people who actually believe you can't talk shit to a cop... you are 100% ignorant. What do you think our first amendment is??? Exactly... the only thing you can't do is threaten them... you can make fun of them... you can call them fat, ugly, stupid... as long as you don't say anything that they can say is threatening.

The issue here isn't that the kid isn't smart and knows his rights... it's that he's acting as if his dorm is his house... which isn't. The whole warrant thing would work if it were off campus, but because he's in a dorm... the campus police can do what they please.
    Good thing these guys aren't cops and the first amendment has literally no meaning here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewan View Post
    wow that kid was a dick, I'm on the cops side with this, They started off polite and he tried to be a tough guy douche bag.
    If you were being falsely accused and had cops stereotyping you just because they can... wouldn't you be a little set off??? How about how the cop tells him to shut up??? The kid never told the cops to shut up... see what I did? I portrayed the cops as assholes... Because they are... bunch of ignorant, donut munching, pig screwing, corrupt, capitalist assholes.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by Demona3 View Post
    He most likely had alcohol and had it hidden somewhere other than the fridge. He clearly knew the officers were coming, why else would he have set up the camera at the door?

Expel people not based on their academics, in a place where they are to learn, but on maturity? Also it seems they may have already been at his door and he knew it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    These arent cops. Campus security, hired by the people who own the dorm rooms, the same people holding the contract this moron signed allowing them to enter his dorm.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Things you are allowed by law to do have no bearing "against you". It can't be used "against him". He was within his rights to do what he did.

As an aside, here's the policy: http://www.uky.edu/Housing/undergraduate/policies.html

The wording of 4. can be called into question. The occupant of the room did open the door when requested to do so. He just didn't allow the campus police entry.

Also, the campus police did search the fridge and some other places, which they had no right to do, except of course if you argue the guy gave them authorization.
    Yep and the student knew they couldn't legally open the fridge as he said when they told him to do it, and he said "why don't you do it? Oh you can't without my consent" then they ignored him and did it anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    May wanna learn what the first amendment covers. Telling people to suck your dick isnt one of them, lmao
    SCOTUS has affirmed in Chaplinsky v. New Hamphsire that "fighting words" like this are NOT protected speech and CAN be reason enough for arrest. In that case, the insults were "racketeer" and "Fascist", but "dicksucker" qualifies.

And again; it doesn't apply, anyway, since it ONLY applies to the government. The First Amendment is not a "there are never repercussions to what you say" law. It's a "you can't be arrested for the content of your speech, outside of certain exceptions" law. The university isn't the government, and is not in any way obligated to observe anyone's "First Amendment rights".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demona3 View Post

I wasn't aware maturity was a requirement for college... oh wait it's not... now if you want to make your own college and have your own set of requirements, go ahead... but what you're describing is a religious college where everyone is nice, I think one of those would suit you well.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Room Entry Policy

Authorized university personnel may enter a student's residence hall room without permission for the following reasons:

To provide routine maintenance
    To provide routine inspections to ensure that residents are following health, fire, and safety regulations
    To respond to emergency situations; e.g., situations which threaten the health and/or safety of room occupants, and situations which require immediate maintenance to prevent property damage or immediate action to correct the health, fire and/or safety risk
    When there is reason to believe that a violation of university policy is taking place in the room and occupants in the room do not open the door when requested to do so.
    http://www.uky.edu/Housing/undergraduate/policies.html

They're not allowed to search but they are allowed to come in. The kid is a total douche though and apparently doesn't know the meaning of the word belligerent.

EDIT: Sydänyö beat me to it
    Last edited by Dasffion; 2012-12-18 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    These arent cops. Campus security, hired by the people who own the dorm rooms, the same people holding the contract this moron signed allowing them to enter his dorm.
    And this has what dealing with the Freedom of Speech?

I could go around calling posters on this board a few choice words, and all I'd get is a ban because it's not illegal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nautik View Post
    Campus security can search anywhere on campus without a warrant.
    No, they can't. Read the policies.

Quote Originally Posted by Nautik View Post
    Not illegal. College property. Campus security can search anywhere on campus without a warrant.
    Look at the agreement above. He just has to open the door, which he did, they didn't have a right to actually barge in and further more search inside of things, which they did.