Page 1 of 21
... LastLast

Is it morally wrong...

... for a 14-year old to date a 20-year old?

Is it morally wrong regardless of the circumstances, or only in certain cases?
    Does it matter what gender the younger is? Does either gender matter? Ethnicity? Sexual orientation? Education? Etc.

Obviously not about laws, only about opinions.

Discuss!

EDIT: Enough with the accusations. This situation does not apply to me. Yes, I am 20. I am, however (as opposed to popular belief) not male and do not have a partner at the age of 14. I chose 14 because 15 is the age of consent here.

Sheesh.
    Last edited by Segus1992; 2012-12-19 at 11:30 PM.

Morrally? Depends on your morals

Legally, depends on your location.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Probably, yes. Sex would be rape?

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    If the guy is youger people will think its cool if the girl is youger people will think the guy is a pedophile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Deleted
    Not only is it 'morally' wrong, but it's also illegal.

It's even more wrong if the younger party is female.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Morrally? Depends on your morals

Legally, depends on your location.
    Thanks for the super vague answer.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMechatronGamer View Post
    Depends on what you mean by "dating", but this. Wait a couple of years if they are really in love.

Can't really agree with this though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why? 10 chars

Quote Originally Posted by CGL View Post
    Probably, yes. Sex would be rape?
    Not saying there's sex though, you can date without fucking. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    Thanks for the super vague answer.
    then don't ask questions with vague answers.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Is it morally wrong if I am the dad of the aforementioned 14 year old and shoot you or send you to jail for statutory rape? Your an adult now, go play with the adults.

Legally, it's okay as long as there is no physical contact of a sexual nature. I've known of cases in which 15 year olds date 65 year olds, but since no sexual contact can be proven, it is allowed (reluctantly). Morally, it's completely up to the individuals involved. I personally wouldn't go any lower than 17 at this point (as an 18 year old) simply for maturity's sake, regardless of legal precedents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclejesse
    I'm not very nice and think I will stay away from the forums for a week to calm down
    (Note: This post might have been edited by Boubouille)
    My characters Bintah and Alicia

dating <> sex, and 'even more wrong for females', gimme a break. you want gender equality, you treat them the same. period.

its still generally perceived as wrong though... but there's worse things in the world to worry about then a couple people hanging out together.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe not during the middle ages, but modern day? Yeah. A 14 year old is in no way emotionally or physically mature, and is nowhere near equipped to make meaningful relationship choices or fully understand the long term consequences of those choices. Not to mention the opportunities for horribly manipulative emotional abuses by the adult.

Very bad juju.
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    ... for a 14-year old to date a 20-year old?

Is it morally wrong regardless of the circumstances, or only in certain cases?
    Does it matter what gender the younger is? Does either gender matter? Ethnicity? Sexual orientation? Education? Etc.

Obviously not about laws, only about opinions.

Discuss!
    I live by the rule of half your age plus seven.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's disgusting either way. It's morally wrong and illegal in most places. Why not date your own age?

I'd really have to ask the 20 year old what the fuck is wrong with him/her.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Can't really agree with this though.
    Depends where you are from I guess but, if you look at it from a totally unbiased point of view, the gender involved on either side shouldn't make a difference on whether it's good or bad. In general, I really think society would be far more outraged if it was a female who was the younger party though because the vast majority wouldn't be unbiased. It's ironic because women are more emotionally mature than men of the same age, so the difference in emotional maturity wouldn't be as large in that event.
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

Even without a sexual component, I would say yes. A 14-year-old is still in the mind-set of respecting your elders, and 6 years is a very large fraction of a 14-year-old's life. A 14-year-old should be just starting to learn about love and dating from someone his/her own age, and be free to make mistakes and be fickle. A 20-year old is thinking about commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodon View Post
    It's ironic because women are more emotionally mature than men of the same age, so the differencein emotional maturity wouldn't be as large in that event.
    no way man.
    Gamdwelf the Mage