Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

A great explanation for why American military hegemony is a necessary evil.

I found this on Reddit and found it quite thought-provoking.

Well, by keeping SK secure we are also keeping ourselves secure.
    As yep45 pointed out, if American military hegemony would diminish, you would see the rise of regional actors. These regional actors usually don't see eye-to-eye with us. Take Asia for example, if America left, China would likely become the dominating regional power. Forget the hate we get from there now, the hate that would be leveled at China would make Psy's anti-American comments seem quaint. Not only would many countries in Asia suddenly find themselves feeling less secure, but China would have enough power to rival America.

There are different school of thought on the topic, but in simple terms you have two camps. One camp says that international stability necessitates a uni-polar global state (not as in one world government, but as in one state that has global hegemony), while the other camp says that a multi-polar global state ensures regional stability, which they see as the foundation for global stability. Put another way, one camp says we need a giant to protect the village, and the others says if all the villagers have equal(ish) power, then we don't need that giant. Both camps make valid points, and both camps can point to various times in history where their philosophy makes perfect sense.

But consider WW1 and WW2. Both of these wars occurred during multi-polar global states and were pretty much terrible for everyone involved, however, in times of unipolarity, there are less casualties of war (there is debate about this, but the debate is about who is considered a causality of war). People, and states, will always seek power, and in times where the power is multipolar you will get arms races, this is especially true in bi-polar situations (US/USSR Cold War for example). Whenever your neighbor gets powerful, you will try to match it, which continues the cycle. Have you ever played Risk? You know how sometimes there will be border wars...there will be an unspoken truce where two players won't attack each other, but will still build up armies on their border just in case. Eventually, those armies will fight, and the very act of them being there causes as much instability as it does stability. But, if there is one single hegemonic power whose capabilities are so far in excess of anyone else, then catching up to that hegemon is impractical, and any attempt at doing so could be seen as aggressive.

Its tough to say if the world would benefit from a multi-polar power structure as opposed to the unipolar structure we have now. Although frankly, I believe that if American hegemony were to diminish it could be bad not just for America, but the whole world. Love it or hate it, the American military is performing a global service (the degree to which this is warranted is debatable), and that global service keeps America safe.

Now, is it America's duty to do so? That is debatable. Certainly keeping countries like China and Iran pushed into a corner is infinitely better for America than letting those countries get control of a region, especially if that region contains American allies. But maybe it would also bring about some positive change. If Iran controlled the ME, then maybe that would spur America, and the rest of the world, to get off oil faster. If China controlled Asia, there might be a move to stop giving them all our business and actually rein in our debt owed to them.

In most cases, having American hegemony is a win-win for client nations, while its a win-win-win for America. Take Europe for example. The American military presence means that Europeans can underfund their military since America is essentially picking up the slack. Europe stays safe, and doesn't pay much for that luxury. America meanwhile also benefits, although in a less concrete way than our European citizenry counterparts. America pays a tremendous amount of money, but in exchange they get political leverage, strategic location, and a guarantee of safety for doing business in this region. If we pull out of Europe, and lets say Russia steps in to fill the void (somebody would fill the void), now we lose leverage in Europe, business becomes more troublesome, and we would have to rely on the Russians for a guarantee of safety.

American hegemony benefits almost everyone because American hegemony means the Chinese don't have to worry about keeping the Strait of Hormuz open, the US navy does that, it means Taiwan doesn't have to worry about a Chinese invasion, it means other countries need not invest in regional stability (at the cost of not being able to expand regionally) because America is already doing that. If American military hegemony dropped off, you would see a meteoric rise in military expenditures from regional powerhouses like China, Russia, Brazil, and South Africa. Similarly, if merely the confidence in American hegemony diminished, you would see regional actors testing our response and strengths. Would that be good for America? No. And with all the hate we have generated over generations we would also be less safe. Although it is a bit of a viscous cycle in that we generate hate by keeping ourselves safe.
    Again, you could make the debate that a multi-polar state would be safer for everyone because everyone has some semblance of power, but I disagree, I believe the more people you have in a room, the more likely there will be a fist fight, especially when no two people in that room share a common culture. Do I think America should be the hegemon? No. America clearly pays an extreme cost (EDIT: smeaglelovesmaster correctly pointed out that this includes hidden costs like under investment in American healthcare and infrastructre) and reaps only tangential rewards. But the United Nations is too ineffective and prone to doing stupid stuff (although the same could easily be said about America). Ultimately though, I believe that the task of maintaining international stability should be an international effort, but as long as nations have standing armies, that will never happen.
    As it is right now, it is in American interests to remain the hegemon because it allows American policy to be executed at a grander scale...of course this is precisely the reason why other nations will blast American hegemony. America's hegemonic powers have made the world a more peaceful place...there hasn't been a third world war after all. As a matter of fact, I would wager that WW3 would kick off precisely as American military hegemony begins to wane. There is a lot of pent-up regional aggression that is just waiting to come out, but as long as America can interrupt any would-be invasions, they'll never be attempted.
    So in all, its my opinion that American military hegemony is a necessary evil. It is what allows American interests to be carried out abroad, and it gives great confidence to private businesses if they know the American military is keeping the region safe. After all, say what you will about the atrocities committed by the American military, they have made the world much safer than it was 100 years ago. Would the world have been safe if both America and Russia had been equals through today? I don't know, but I would be willing to say no. What if every continent had a hegemonic power? Again I don't know, but I do believe things would have been less peaceful and less beneficial to America.

It is a tough question, but I do believe that the world is a safer place with only one hegemon rather than a few hegemons (like it was before American hegemony). But is it America's place to be that hegemon? That is debatable. I don't trust that the job America's military does could be performed as effectively by an international coalition, but I also don't like that we as Americans have such a massive military expenditure. So what to do? I don't know. America shouldn't be the only player in international stability (although, from a policy perspective I understand why we would want to be), but I am distrustful of how stable things would remain if we ceded power to countries like China and Russia, or even France and Israel for that matter. I don't trust other militaries to do a good job compared to America mostly because the American military has decades of experience, has infrastructure in place, and is highly advanced. We paid all this money to have the best military on Earth, and we use that military to keep others out of power (and us in power), which in turn creates international stability strong enough for there to be a McDonalds almost everywhere. Is it good? Is it right? That depends on who you ask, but I for one would much rather see American hegemony that at least advocates for democracy and human rights (hypocritically in some cases), than say global hegemony by the Chinese or Russians who laugh at ideas like democracy and human rights. Is it worth the price? I don't know, but I do believe we would see more global conflicts without the giant guarding the village.
    Last edited by Laize; 2012-12-18 at 10:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This hegemony is a burden for American Taxpayers. Its also a huge distraction for pressing domestic issues, like our crumbling infrastructure.

Less hegemony and more roads and bridges and water systems please.

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    This hegemony is a burden for American Taxpayers. Its also a huge distraction for pressing domestic issues, like our crumbling infrastructure.

Less hegemony and more roads and bridges and water systems please.
    I recognize the problem with our infrastructure. That will "only" cost about $2 trillion to fix, however. It can be done over 5-10 years without meaningfully impacting the budget.

With Obamacare coming up, however, we should probably take baby steps.

I'm not sure about other states, but NJ spends quite a bit on infrastructure. There are road crews out every day in different, equally inconvenient, locations.

Deleted
    Is it possible to divide that text into paragraphs? I'm having a hard time reading it.

Besides, the guy thinks Russia is a threat to Europe. Allow me to laugh. You want to help Europe for real? Fix your economy so that we have a less hard time to fix ours.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I've been saying something similar to the OP for a while now. We aren't always a perfect hegemon by any standards, but we're one of the more benevolent ones the world has seen so far, and we do provide an important service in terms of global stability.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    Is it possible to divide that text into paragraphs? I'm having a hard time reading it.
    Done.

Besides, the guy thinks Russia is a threat to Europe. Allow me to laugh. You want to help Europe for real? Fix your economy so that we have a less hard time to fix ours.
    Of course Russia isn't a threat NOW. Ask your parents how they liked bordering Russia 20 years ago, however.

If America stepped back on the hegemony, it's likely other power players would step forward. Russia and China are prime candidates to do so.

Russia STILL has the military infrastructure lying around to do so and China certainly has the money. Russia isn't exactly broke either. They have twice as many people as Germany with approximately the same GDP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Done.

Of course Russia isn't a threat NOW. Ask your parents how they liked bordering Russia 20 years ago, however.

If America stepped back on the hegemony, it's likely other power players would step forward. Russia and China are prime candidates to do so.

Russia STILL has the military infrastructure lying around to do so and China certainly has the money. Russia isn't exactly broke either. They have twice as many people as Germany with approximately the same GDP.
    Russia already exerts a huge amount of influence in Eastern Europe with their natural gas supplies. If the US dialed back to being only a regional power, I think we'd see Russia stepping up to fill that void, sure. Nature abhors a power vacuum.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Russia already exerts a huge amount of influence in Eastern Europe with their natural gas supplies. If the US dialed back to being only a regional power, I think we'd see Russia stepping up to fill that void, sure. Nature abhors a power vacuum.
    Especially with Putin at the helm.

You'd have a hard time convincing anyone Putin's primary goal isn't to see Russia a world superpower again. At least not if there were any sort of power vacuum.

10+ Year Old Account

Short version:
    Most scholars in International Relations contend that; the period of American dominance has lead the longest period of relative peace and security in modern history.

Its all relative.
    People that benefit from the hegemony like corporations and the industrial,political, military complex that enforces it. They want to continue the hegemony. If you like cheap good and stuff, and can afford them, you also seemingly benefit from this hegemony.

But the majority of the worlds billions do not benefit from this hegemony. Sure they have relative peace, at the cost of being economically exploited. They live with military security, but marginal food and economic security.

These guys in their ivory towers and and message blogs just cant empathize with poor third world peasants.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    Short version:
    Most scholars in International Relations contend that; the period of American dominance has lead the longest period of relative peace and security in modern history.

Its all relative.
    People that benefit from the hegemony like corporations and the industrial,political, military complex that enforces it. They want to continue the hegemony. If you like cheap good and stuff, and can afford them, you also seemingly benefit from this hegemony.

But the majority of the worlds billions do not benefit from this hegemony. Sure they have relative peace, at the cost of being economically exploited. They live with military security, but marginal food and economic security.

These guys in their ivory towers and and message blogs just cant empathize with poor third world peasants.
    I've spent quite a lot of time in rural Africa and South America, and I still don't empathize that much.

10+ Year Old Account
    The position of the US as the sole hegamon is ultimately a thread to international peace because when Chinese grows more powerful, there will be a clash of civilizations bringing the two into unavoidable conflict.

Deleted
    Done.

The EU is still a powerhouse, I'm pretty sure Russia isn't so passive just because we have a few American troops stationed here and there. Their military equipment is still dusty, not to mention a lot of people are unhappy with Putin. If needed, the EU has the power to muster up a decent military. And even then we have nukes as well, which is also a huge cockblocker for Putin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    The position of the US as the sole hegamon is ultimately a thread to international peace because when Chinese grows more powerful, there will be a clash of civilizations bringing the two into unavoidable conflict.
    They're economically dependant on each other. A war between the two would be an economical suicide for both parts.

That's the thing about a hegemony.

It sees a military buildup as a challenge of power and generally squashes it before it becomes a real threat.

10+ Year Old Account
    What sort of conflict, though? If anything, I'd think it would have to be using proxies, because we certainly wouldn't want to interrupt the flow of trade between China and the US. That trade is more powerful than our militaries, I think.

The EU is still a powerhouse, I'm pretty sure Russia isn't so passive just because we have a few American troops stationed here and there. Their military equipment is still dusty, not to mention a lot of people are unhappy with Putin. If needed, the EU has the power to muster up a decent military. And even then we have nukes as well, which is also a huge cockblocker for Putin.

They're economically dependant on each other. A war between the two would be an economical suicide for both parts.
    I'm sorry you lost me at "A lot of people are unhappy with Putin".

If there are "a lot of people" who are unhappy with Putin, they're not in Russia.

And the EU isn't exactly a military powerhouse.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sorry you lost me at "A lot of people are unhappy with Putin".

If there are "a lot of people" who are unhappy with Putin, they're not in Russia.

And the EU isn't exactly a military powerhouse.
    Or the statistics are cooked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I've spent quite a lot of time in rural Africa and South America, and I still don't empathize that much.
    Since Americans are on top, they typically dont find use for empathy. Once you leave the resorts and safaris it pretty shocking what kind of poverty is out there.

My work takes me to a lot of these places, the shocking part is some parts of rural USA that are basically third world. And not due to their remoteness, it just national reglect.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's the thing about a hegemony.

It sees a military buildup as a challenge of power and generally squashes it before it becomes a real threat.
    Ah! In normal circumstances, yes... but not with nuclear MAD, and not with the current economic situation. I predict that at some point China is going to test America's resolve by crushing either Taiwan or Japan (or both) and seeing if America is prepared to risk nuclear destruction. If the US doesn't rise to the challenge, the world will never see the US in the same light again.

whenever i hear the word "hegemony" i think of Batarians...

Are Americans Batarians in disguise?

Wish I had that much time on my hands like the guy who wrote that pamphlet.