Monk Solo Thread [Dungeons]

I was recently levelling my monk by questing because I hate tanking for PuGs. I started questing in Zul'Drak, but as this is my tenth or eleventh character to level through the zone I got pretty bored - to the point where I no longer wanted to log in to my monk. So it came down to this: do I hit up LFD? Run dungeons with a group? PvP? Keep questing? None of these options really interested me.

I started playing around with transmog gear and thought the Assassination set from BC dungeons looked interesting. Then a thought struck me; can my level 74 Brewmaster solo lvl 70 dungeons? What about level 70 heroics?

So I started my monk with normal Setthek Halls, Shadow Labs and Black Morass, which I didn't find too difficult. WowHead now lists these as level 65-70 dungeons, so I guess at 74 I was already 9 levels over the minimum, but the experience added up fairly quickly, bringing the monk to level 76, where I was no longer getting worthwhile experience from the normal dungeons. So I moved into Shadow Labs Heroic, where I quickly ran into a wall on Grandmaster Vorpil.

I'm tempted to move into Northrend dungeons now, rather than pushing further on TBC heroics - I might even get some useful gear that way. Which brings me to my questions: how far can I push this? Has anyone else had success soloing level-appropriate (or nearly level appropriate) dungeons while levelling? How close to level appropriate is too close to solo the dungeon?

I was fine up until ~Cata dungeons on my one monk (not this one, yes I have 2). The mobs health pools go up a lot and they start to really hurt.

Good to know - if I get a chance, I might start with Nexus and Utgarde Keep this weekend and move into the higher level dungeons from there.

---------- Post added 2012-12-21 at 10:04 PM ----------

At level 77, completed Utgarde Keep (except Keleseth - damned Frost Tomb!), then rolled through Drak'Tharon Keep. Reached 78 while handing in the dungeon quests.

Solo'd Violet Hold and reached 79 on handing in final quest of the Amphitheatre of Anguish. I then tried Gun'drak, but while I killed Moorabi and the Colossus pretty easily, I couldn't survive Slad'ran's Snake Wrap.