Nerfing mages: route to success

I see what you're doing blizzard. Nerfing mages over and over again to oblivion. Them it'll become so bad, but so bad, that you'll overbuff it next patch.
    Endure a few months of vacuum my fellow mages. After it...glory and max power.

Just like warriors getting overbuffed for mop. Just like rogues getting overbuffed for 5.2.

You know...keeping different classes on the same level can be called balance. It's somewhat primitive, some sort of static balance. Like this:
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-XOOk9AW1wu...e-1024x681.jpg

Now the real nice balance. It's about going up and down all the time, for everyone. In the end, there's balance. You may call it dynamic balance. I call it "blizzbalance":
    http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...orkscrews2.jpg

the difference between mages and warriors/rogues is that the former are not supposed to get nerfed, but only slightly buffed( no need to overbuff the class as long as you dont nerf it and throw in some extra stuff )

i can say with 99% certainty that the Deep freeze change is not going through UNLESS we get something amazing(like making deep 30y aoe than single target).

except cyclone, nothing else is actually addressed - shockwave still does retarded dmg on a low cd(40s is still low as its PHYSICAL, instant, aoe and 50k+ dmg) and shamans can still spam purge all they want.

not to mention rogues being the new god class in 5.2. i dunno if blizzard is trolling or are in the holiday spirit and buffing everyone for now, but hopefully they will come to their senses when ptr hits.

ps. and with the removal of blanket silences I sure hope nearly all instant heals are going away as well, after all, if you are increasing skill cap, increase it for everyone. gl killing healers with no blankets and things DRing left and right.
    Last edited by klaps_05; 2012-12-22 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    i dunno if blizzard is trolling or are in the holiday spirit and buffing everyone for now, but hopefully they will come to their senses when ptr hits.
    Nah, i lost faith in their open tests. Months of mop beta and look how the game came out.

They'll throw a mess on live and try to fix it for months.

Also, about deep freeze nerf: it's well known that the best way to nerf mages is not through patches, with notes and all. Mages complain. The best way to deal with it is to instant apply it via hotfix and problem solved.
    So you fake some change via patch notes. Them you remove this change. Them you hotfix another change when they don't expect it.

Quote Originally Posted by Magemaer View Post
    Nah, i lost faith in their open tests. Months of mop beta and look how the game came out.

They'll throw a mess on live and try to fix it for months.

Also, about deep freeze nerf: it's well known that the best way to nerf mages is not through patches, with notes and all. Mages complain. The best way to deal with it is to instant apply it via hotfix and problem solved.
    So you fake some change via patch notes. Them you remove this change. Them you hotfix another change when they don't expect it.
    As underhanded and conspiracy theory-esque as that sounds, that's exactly what happened and I wouldn't put anything past them at this point. The Deep Freeze/ Counterspell/mages-are-now-a-meat-shield-in-pvp nerf is probably just a diversionary tactic so we can be all happy and toasty when they suddenly get reverted just before 5.2 goes live. Then a week in we will be hit with epic Bieber rape nerfbat.

Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    the difference between mages and warriors/rogues is that the former are not supposed to get nerfed, but only slightly buffed( no need to overbuff the class as long as you dont nerf it and throw in some extra stuff )

i can say with 99% certainty that the Deep freeze change is not going through UNLESS we get something amazing(like making deep 30y aoe than single target).

except cyclone, nothing else is actually addressed - shockwave still does retarded dmg on a low cd(40s is still low as its PHYSICAL, instant, aoe and 50k+ dmg) and shamans can still spam purge all they want.

not to mention rogues being the new god class in 5.2. i dunno if blizzard is trolling or are in the holiday spirit and buffing everyone for now, but hopefully they will come to their senses when ptr hits.

ps. and with the removal of blanket silences I sure hope nearly all instant heals are going away as well, after all, if you are increasing skill cap, increase it for everyone. gl killing healers with no blankets and things DRing left and right.
    Hold on

So you expect that deep freeze change to not hit live, unless ofcourse they make it a 30 yard range aoe stun? and then add that Blizzard must be trolling, since they are buffing rogues, who are a complete joke in pvp atm, and you expect them to wake up and keep rogues where they are and leave mages alone?

Are you for real?

Rogues as they are, right now, should be the base line for where everybody else should be in pvp (imo).

They have great utility, on reasonable cooldowns, with reasonable damage. Bring everyone else back in line with this and i'd be happy. My mage nearly died inside when I saw some of the changes (deep freeze....), all from a PvP perspective mind you.

there is no way that a mage will be obsolete. name at least one season in which mages were terrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nmarez View Post
    there is no way that a mage will be obsolete. name at least one season in which mages were terrible.
    Season ...ehm..I..ehhr..Nope, can't name any. Frost Mages were always awesome in PvP - and only got more buffs than nerfs if you ask me. You got plenty of ways to keep people at range.