Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Actually classes restricted by race is winning out. That's what the roundtable voters want by a fairly large margin.

https://www.everquestnext.com/round-table
    Ugh, fuck them. Class/race restrictions are fucking terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Age of Conan had sort of that tier difficulties in their Khitai expansion. As you got progressively deeper into the new area, the mobs were higher level. So at level 80 you would be facing level 85 mobs (plus they would add environmental effects to increase the difficulty).
    I know. Really enjoyed AoC personally. I think Funcom make insanely interesting games- not well executed games or even playable at times. Though very interesting game to ponder.

But EQNext is a level-less system so it would be a bit different.
    I said it was more like TSW. Gear is tiered in EQN and to a lesser degree, class advancement. Some content is internally labeled [tier 12, ex.] and matching your collective tier gear level to that increases chances of success greatly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Change it. Get people to vote for a free from race class system.

This is your chance to direct granular development, people.

Yeah, would be a deal breaker for me unless there was a legit lore reason (like dwarves not able to use arcane magic in old school d&d). That whole round table voting is kind of bullshit though because you can vote multiple times.

Vote early, vote often.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Vote early, vote often.
    Brb starting a Facebook campaign to raise awareness of how shitty class/race restrictions are by changing my profile picture to my favorite pets favorite toy. Everyone will surely understand it and will heed the call to action!

Well class/race restrictions aren't winning out 19.2 for no restrictions what so ever and 25.0 for I want to be whatever even if it means a penalty to a combo is 44.2.

Either-way, weird to make it a deal breaker when what your char looks like is a very small % of a game. You couldn't even see Gordon Freeman until you were Barney or Shepard...

I think the round table was an extremely stupid idea. They can listen to the community and pick and choose the feedback as they see fit behind the scenes but bringing everyone on board is just setting themselves up for a backlash of passionate voting players not getting what they want or better yet when they go back on something a majority of the players voted they wanted there will also be a backlash much larger than there ever would have been if the design decision hadn't been hinted at being partially in the players hands. They just put themselves on the spot for no real gain other than goodwill that can potentially backfire and, IMO, ruin the game before its even released.
    Last edited by Erolian; 2013-08-08 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexxilus View Post
    Yeah, would be a deal breaker for me unless there was a legit lore reason (like dwarves not able to use arcane magic in old school d&d). That whole round table voting is kind of bullshit though because you can vote multiple times.
    What reasons BESIDES lore would race/class restrictions not exist? We've all sat here and played and defended WoW when and idea for X race being X class came up and dismiss the idea as absurd. What makes it so different here?

I can say right now that I'm on the fence about class/race restrictions. At first my ideology, for example, would be that Dark Elves should not be Paladins.

Then I read the eBook, "The Last stand of the Tier'dal" and my perception suddenly changes and I understand what they meant when they said old names, new story. In the original EQ you see Dark Elves as the children of Innoruuk, being created by him, the god of Hate. They aren't restricted to just him as a deity, but the only other options would be the other "evil" gods therefore leaving the dark elves as an inherently evil race.

Once you read this book, which deals with the dark elven ruling family, which has the same last name as the ones from EQ, but the characters are noble and good and care about the well-being of one another. I dunno. Still trying to wrap my head around it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Turkey One View Post
    I think the round table was an extremely stupid idea. They can listen to the community and pick and choose the feedback as they see fit behind the scenes but bringing everyone on board is just setting themselves up for a backlash of passionate voting players not getting what they want or better yet when they go back on something a majority of the players voted they wanted there will also be a backlash much larger than there ever would have been if the design decision hadn't been hinted at being partially in the players hands. They just put themselves on the spot for no real gain other than goodwill that can potentially backfire and, IMO, ruin the game before its even released.
    As of now I trust the developers of this game. They've been very up front and honest with us about their intentions for the game, their experiences from all the MMO's they've played and how they feel things should be.

So if the players vote for something on the Round Table and the devs feel like it's not the right option I stand fully behind their ability to veto our collective vote.

Just because we vote for it doesn't necessarily it'll make it to the game. Especially if they aren't comfortable with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Whatever problems Shadow priests have, have nothing to do with Mobility. And Shadow seriously shouldn't see any sort of buff before Disc is nerfed into the ground. Because right now any sort of buff that could in any way trickle into disc, would turn the damn thing into the incarnation of Jesus Christ the Avenger, as the definition of demigod would be insufficient.

Brb starting a Facebook campaign to raise awareness of how shitty class/race restrictions are by changing my profile picture to my favorite pets favorite toy. Everyone will surely understand it and will heed the call to action!
    You do that, Edgecrushero0.

Quote Originally Posted by waddlez View Post
    Either-way, weird to make it a deal breaker when what your char looks like is a very small % of a game.
    Watch the EQN reveal again and note how much emphasis was placed on making a character look how you want. For them to go through that and turn around and say you can't be a particular race/class combo makes you scratch your head. I bet that over half the people voting for restrictions would be crying on the forums if the particular combo they wanted got axed.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyrock View Post
    What reasons BESIDES lore would race/class restrictions not exist? We've all sat here and played and defended WoW when and idea for X race being X class came up and dismiss the idea as absurd. What makes it so different here?
    Race/class restrictions are pretty much always arbitrary. Sure there might be a lore reason why the vast majority of a particular race's population won't be a certain class, but to flat out say that it is impossible to train one race in a set of skills is just silly. As the hero you are already the exception to the rule so an exception to a race's social norms isn't out of the question.

As far as WoW is concerned: Humans really couldn't figure out how to be hunters before Cata? Blood elves couldn't tackle to oh-so-difficult warrior training regimen until Cata? According to lore a male night elf hunter or female night elf druid should have been the rarest of the rare but whatever I guess?

Now if a particular class' power comes from one particular deity which happens to hate a certain race then sure. However, you can only play that card so often before you are making your all powerful gods into petty asshats holding a grudge.

Deleted
    I prefer class/race restrictions as long as they make sense. Also I don't want to be the hero, I'm soo sick of every MMO shoving it down my throat that I'm the chosen one, the almighty hero. I just want to be a nobody in a massive world. So much more epic and greater immersion that way, besides what kind of RP game is it if any and every one have exactly the same story and have to be the good guy?

KOTOR and the dark/light side balance was awesome, why the fuck doesn't every MMO have that? (I have no idea if SWTOR has it, never tried the game).

In a sandbox world with multi-classing I think it would be a mistake to have race/class restrictions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I'd prefer no class / race restriction. Personally race should just be aesthetic, any racials should be cosmetic.
    For a game that touted multi-classing, adding a restriction kinda destroys the point.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    I would very much like the idea of focusing on making the hard content out in the open-world. Down with instancing!
    This is a double edged sword imo. On one hand, you can have the same access to everyone regardless of your player status (casual or hardcore), but this also opens up the possibility of a more hardcore guild perma camping spawns and monopolizing everything, preventing anyone else from progressing. The only way around that would be some sort of gentleman's agreement that would allow a guilds to rotate on who's turn it is to kill something. We had this system on my server in EQ1 and some bosses, it would literally take half a year before we could kill something after our turn was up.

On the flip side, everything being FFA makes PvE super competitive and forces you to either play well and engage with a skeleton raid crew or risk losing it to the next guild because you were sitting around twiddling your thumbs waiting for people to login. This can also mean engaging at strange hours of the day. Many people have jobs with standard 9-5 hours and those people in my guild could rarely be there for kills if we had to pull early morning/afternoon to establish a spot on the rotation.

No idea if EQN will have this kind of competitive raiding or if it's heading in this direction, but having a job, I would rather raid instanced content. I don't have the option to skip work like I did class :P

Now, is the voting up only on the US site? Can't see anything relevant on the EU one. Also I think beta signups are not working on the EU one :/
    Last edited by Marthenil; 2013-08-08 at 06:48 PM.

What I would rather see is the race/class combo be a more flavorful version of a regular class, with maybe one or two to minor differences, for flavor. Then make this race/class combo easier to pick up as a member of that race. For example, let's say that that everyone can be a Shadowknight, but only Dark Elves can be a Blackguard, which have the same abilities of the Shadowknight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Think what I don't mind is if they made it so different races have different starting classes, but not restricted in obtaining other classes.

Quote Originally Posted by obake1 View Post
    This is a double edged sword imo. On one hand, you can have the same access to everyone regardless of your player status (casual or hardcore), but this also opens up the possibility of a more hardcore guild perma camping spawns and monopolizing everything, preventing anyone else from progressing. The only way around that would be some sort of gentleman's agreement that would allow a guilds to rotate on who's turn it is to kill something. We had this system on my server in EQ1 and some bosses, it would literally take half a year before we could kill something after our turn was up.

On the flip side, everything being FFA makes PvE super competitive and forces you to either play well and engage with a skeleton raid crew or risk losing it to the next guild because you were sitting around twiddling your thumbs waiting for people to login. This can also mean engaging at strange hours of the day. Many people have jobs with standard 9-5 hours and those people in my guild could rarely be there for kills if we had to pull early morning/afternoon to establish a spot on the rotation.

No idea if EQN will have this kind of competitive raiding or if it's heading in this direction, but having a job, I would rather raid instanced content. I don't have the option to skip work like I did class :P
    It's not a double-edged sword for me, however. I want that drama & action.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    It's not a double-edged sword for me, however. I want that drama & action.
    I don't know...maybe if I was still in school, I could agree with you :P

It's only fun if you're #1. If things were totally FFA with no rules, I'm sure people would give absolutely no shits in bringing their guild and steamrolling/leap frogging whoever was on the mob whether it be for farming for themselves or intentionally holding down their competition.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh oh oh! Yes! Down with class/race restrictions! They made no sense at all in the EQ world:

- I demand to be able to play my Troll Wizard, born with an intellect rivalling that of all other trolls Gubgosh sought out the wise Koada'Dal (high elf) sage to teach him in the ways of the mystic arts. Through Gubgoshs vast intellect and impressive delicate craftsmenship he was soon surpassing his master in the arcane arts and higher astro-magical mathematics.

- Or maybe I can play as Steve, the Erudite warrior! After decades of stuffing his nose into every book about war in the Libraries of Odus, Steve was confident he knew all there was to finally fulfilling his goal of slaying the pesky Kerrans that threatened to encroach on his home shores. Crawling towards the city gates, barely able to push his massive Zweihander along the ground and decked out in the finest silk garments, Steve is ready to begin his life as a warrior.

- I could be Fien T'val, Fier'Dal (wood elf) devoted Necromancer of Tunare - the Goddess of Nature!! Righteously draining the very essence of life from any that dare opposed my virtuous path, stripping the very flesh from their bones. Defying the laws of nature by bringing back the tortured souls of the damned and entrapping them within the cold lifeless shell of former remains of my foes - surely Tunare has blessed me!!

- Oh! Or!!! I can be, Bashguuder - Ogre stealth rogue of reknown!! His massive girth, ponderous footsteps and clumsy gait makes him the ideal sneak-thief!! Able to smash his way through the smallest of home openings, and bashing to a bloody pulp any would be witnesses, Bashguuder was the sneakiest and silentest of all thieves.....

........yeah .... damn you lore!