Deleted

Help, holiday in Iceland, help from residents/visitors

Hello to all,

I've been given a gift of a long weekend in Reykjavik for next weekend.

Normally I get chance to plan the best things to do but <1 week to research everything at this time of year isn't enough, so would anyone have must see/do things in Reykjavik?

Also, is there anything to try that I can only do or get in Iceland?

Initial searching I found:

1) Husky sled ride (get this local or through the holiday reps; which is cheaper)
    2) Snowmobile hire (same as above, source locally or through the holiday reps)

3) Food; I would like to try reindeer/puffin/whale as these are different dishes I'd never get to try back home

4) Visiting a geyser/glacier?

5) Trying an open air thermal pool (dress code for these?)

6) Whale watching trip

I'll be traveling with a teenager so nightclubs and booze cruises are out lol, but we both are prertty active so walking/running/cycling/skiing are all activities we can participate in.

Any other suggestions would be extremely appreciated as I'd like to try the things the locals do and not just be a typical tourist.

Cheers,
    Sonof

Quote Originally Posted by sonof View Post
    Hello to all,

Normally I get chance to plan the best things to do but <1 week to research everything at this time of year isn't enough, so would anyone have must see/do things in Reykjavik?

1) Husky sled ride (get this local or through the holiday reps; which is cheaper)

3) Food; I would like to try reindeer/puffin/whale as these are different dishes I'd never get to try back home

6) Whale watching trip

I'll be traveling with a teenager so nightclubs and booze cruises are out lol, but we both are prertty active so walking/running/cycling/skiing are all activities we can participate in.

Any other suggestions would be extremely appreciated as I'd like to try the things the locals do and not just be a typical tourist.

Cheers,
    Sonof
    Why would nightclubs and booze be out just because of a teenager?

Kay... Just checked Icelands drinking age - seems like they shouldnt have left the Danish Kingdom after all...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sonof View Post
    Hello to all,

6) Whale watching trip

Cheers,
    Sonof
    Geysir is the best place for geothermals, and is easily reachable from reykjavik.

Try to avoid the tourist trap of thebp blue lagoon, its artifical and pretty pants. Go for proper hot springs, dress code is whatever, though be prepared for showering naked before going in, no chemicals so its the way its kept clean, some countries have taboos against that kind of thing.

Gullfoss is worth a look. Esp at this time of year when its frozen.

Ride icelandic ponies/horses, they are a special kind of breed. They got 4 different "gears" if you like to call it that, compared to 3 for normal horses. Not my area of expertise though. Quite a populuar activity though. They get exported as well.

Developed from ponies taken to Iceland by Scandinavian settlers in the 9th and 10th centuries, the breed is mentioned in literature and historical records throughout Icelandic history; the first reference to a named horse appears in the 12th century. Horses were venerated in Norse mythology, a custom brought to Iceland by the country's earliest settlers. Selective breeding over the centuries has developed the breed into its current form. Natural selection has also played a role, as the harsh Icelandic climate eliminated many horses through cold and starvation.

Icelandic law prevents horses from being imported into the country and exported animals are not allowed to return. The Icelandic displays two gaits in addition to the typical walk, trot, and canter/gallop commonly displayed by other breeds.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2012-12-26 at 06:00 PM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Deleted
    tlacoatl,
    Thanks for both suggestions although it seems to be a couple of hours driving away from the city so not sure if I can hire a car and get that far away but will see if there are any trips whilst I'm out there

Jackmoves,
    That was one thing I've seen but didn't realise the horses were so special. Never rode in my life but I'm sure I could blag it for a few hours

Thank you both for the suggestions, they really help