Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Catanowplx View Post
    wouldnt that just be cozy?

i cant think of any on the top of my head :O
    Yeah, the word that only Danish has is "at hygge", which would be literally translated to "to cozy/coze", which I'm pretty sure isn't actually a thing in any other language. Or at least you'd have to use a whole sentence to get the same effect as that one word.
    Last edited by Tradu; 2012-12-27 at 01:13 AM.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    See the OP.
    Well doesn't mean it isn't unique. ^^ Chances are there are equivalents to any unique words in one of the world's 6000 languages, i just assumed we were taking English as a standard.

That would be a pantry or cellar.
    You're right. xD I guess i haven't used that word enough to have realized it exists in English.

Hipster.
    Forgot to say that the word i was describing is usually used for old people that fit that description. It definitely isn't a hipster.

Aussie slang!

G'day: Good day/Hello

Yonks: A lot of/A long time

I don't know if it's used elsewhere but "Get on the piss" means "get drunk"

Fair-dinkum: Basically anything. eg "That was a fair-dinkum effort, good work" or "Fair-dinkum this idiot can't drive" etc (I think that's it anyway, just really going off context I've heard it in.)

Struth is another one, used almost as a swear. "Struth! That car went straight into oncoming traffic."

Also, we don't throw shrimps on the barbie, they're called Prawns here.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    Noes, in Blekinge.
    Well duh, that's not so weird, everyone there is inbred anyway.

jk

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficia View Post
    Struth is another one, used almost as a swear. "Struth! That car went straight into oncoming traffic."
    And cooee and hard yakka... most of these ultra-Ozzie terms are only used by old people out in the sticks of course :P

Did you know strewth is a contraction of "god's truth"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    The verb "pisnuti" which means to start talking after someone's already told you to shut up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    Well duh, that's not so weird, everyone there is inbred anyway.

jk
    Haha, sometimes it does make me wonder at times..

Assume you live in Skåne? :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    Haha, sometimes it does make me wonder at times..

Assume you live in Skåne? :P
    Yeah, lived here pretty much half my life, but will live in Luleå in approx a half year when I begin university.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raegwyn View Post
    orchkatzlschwoaf - tail of a squirrel
    Loving this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    English is a language made up of words from every language. And it designed to constantly add new words.

Gang is a Chinese word
    Gung Ho is a Japanese term used in American English.
    Thats the reason English's spelling is such a god damn mess. England was conquered by like 7 different people. Normans, Romans, Vikings, etc and they all added elements of their own language into English. Resulting in unbelievable inconsistency.

Its also partly why is the closest thing we have to a universal language. Its already the standard language of science, programming and aviation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    "Špajza" is the word for a small room in which you keep any food or drinks that can last for months or years. Most houses actually don't have this room. It's actually a German word, by the way, which i guess comes from all the Austrian hegemony which my country experienced.

"Klošar" is a person who acts, dresses or smells like a homeless person but usually isn't homeless. Also is heavily possessed by alcohol. Oddly enough we actually didn't take this word over from another language!
    "Špajza" = Larder, most American houses from prior to 1900 had these, but since the invention of the Refrigerator larders have been obsolete.

"Klošar" = Wino, vagrant, vagabond , bum

schlabbekotzer - freely translated: a guy who pukes sandals

swiss language btw

Deleted
    apartheid
    so unique the whole world uses it :'(

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Smørbrød in danish, its a very rough piece of bread called Rugbrød (wups, another one ) thats very healthy, but with alot of butter and some good stuff on it, like Leverpostej (one again, also its some chopped liver baked with some other stuff, really good)

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhiziana View Post
    Smørbrød in danish, its a very rough piece of bread called Rugbrød (wups, another one ) thats very healthy, but with alot of butter and some good stuff on it, like Leverpostej (one again, also its some chopped liver baked with some other stuff, really good)
    Smørbrød - open faced sandwich

Rugbrød - Sourdough or Rye

Leverpostej - Sounds like 'danish Pate' to me. We have that in the deli section of the super market.

What unique words do you have in your language? Like in Swedish, where we have the most awesome word ever: "lagom", which doesn't have a direct English equalivent but basically means something that is okay, in the middle. Like if something is "lagom" cooked, it means it's okay cooked, it's as cooked as it should be.

So what unique words exist out there?
    theres also a word for lagom in japanese

10+ Year Old Account
    What unique words do you have in your language? Like in Swedish, where we have the most awesome word ever: "lagom", which doesn't have a direct English equalivent but basically means something that is okay, in the middle. Like if something is "lagom" cooked, it means it's okay cooked, it's as cooked as it should be.

So what unique words exist out there?
    English doesn't have a lot of interesting, unique words, but we come up with a lot of words that aren't really words here in the south.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

The beautiful Norwegian!

Forpult: means something has been fucked (pult) too much. "Forpulte rævhøl": asshole that's been fucked too much. Very nice word

Døgn: 24 hours. English doesn't have this, just "day and night"

Forelska: it's a verb, meaning "(being) in love". Other languages might have this act of being in love as a verb too, I'm not sure.

Our version of schadefreue is skadefryd.

Pålegg: shit you have on your bread or whatever. It's an umbrella word for cheese, ham, butter, fish or what have you. More convenient with "put the pålegg on the table" than "put the cheese, ham, butter and fish on the table".

Tyskerunge: german's child, used to describe children born of norwegian mothers and german fathers during and shortly after WWII. Very insulting, and the children went through a lot of harassement because of their german fathers, as did the mothers.

Faenskap (my name, because I'm unimaginative!): faen is short for "fanden", another word for the devil. Hit your thumb rather than the nail with a hammer? Shout "faen"! "skap" is a suffix to plenty of words, while also meaning closet, sort of how english has "ship", being both a suffix and a boat. We have "vennskap", english has "friendship", see what I'm getting at? Anyway, it's a form of cursing. "You're full of faenskap", could mean you're full of shit. "This PC is some fucking faenskap to type with", the pc is shit to type with.

That's all I can think of for now
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Quote Originally Posted by rs10 View Post
    Hyggelig from danish!
    In norwegian aswell.

Deleted
    Fleuve. It's a large river that goes into the sea. Alternatively just a large river.