Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Buu View Post
    English forum mods are a bit of crazy, yes. Portuguese forum mods can lock a lot of threads, but they rarely put people on a ban. And those people TRY HARD to deserve the ban.
    I got an ban once for telling someone to ignore an troll, apparently that is harassment and warrants a ban.

Quote Originally Posted by Extrakt View Post
    On the old forums i got a perma ban.

Some newbie with bad gear was harassed because he had poor gear.
    But my gear was better than the bully so I attacked his gear trying to stand up for the harassed guy.

He reported me and i got a perma ban. He recieved nothing.

I suppose it was a petty comeback, but a perma ban was ridicilous. Never had a warning whatsoever.
    Got a temp ban over something similar, it's funny how the English forum mods let the trolls run wild while banning people standing up to them. In my case some new rogue asked for advice because he was doing fairly bad in PvP at the start of MoP. Some level 1 started flaming and insulting him, I answered that he should ignore said person because he was trolling and not trying to help and got a 24~ hour ban for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    It's funny how the English forum mods let the trolls run wild while banning people standing up to them.
    This is probably the third or fourth time I've heard this complaint in this thread alone. It makes no sense that Blizzard would allow trolls who presumably are worse go free, while removing "non-trolls" for lesser offenses. The only explanation for this is that either the people making this claim are mistaken about the perceived discrepancy, or the offenders in question simply aren't being reported.

At any rate, it's not up to you to 'stand up to them'. In fact, conventional internet wisdom states that is the opposite of what you should be doing, it's a waste of your time, and it only encourages them to continue their actions. As with Extrakt, what you should have done was just reported him and moved on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Well, it's their forum. You pay for the game, ultimately, and the forums are only a decent benefit off to the side.
    Sure, therefore I barely EVER use their Forums. Their user unfriendly forums (both content and design and moderation) made sites like MMO-Champ, Wowhead or Buffed etc. big.

Any1 i know who speaks & reads english uses MMO-Champ, so most of my infos I get is from here. And the class forum here is my source of wisdom about my class

10+ Year Old Account
    All of the examples/anecdotes in this thread that purport to demonstrate how unfair Blizzard's system is are entirely useless without seeing the actual posts.

Do I think that a rational and reasoned response standing up for someone would get perma-banned? No. Do I imagine that making a response that stands up for someone that includes a bunch of profanity, flaming or other things would get someone banned? Of course. It's not the point of the post that's the problem. It's how it's done.

People that don't even think twice about calling someone a giant douche at 4:22 a.m. this morning here on MMO-C (another thread) shouldn't be commenting too much about how unfair Blizzard moderation practices can be.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2012-12-27 at 08:36 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Every ban I got was for a good reason. So I imagine yours probably was too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bags- View Post
    judging by some of the topics on there now and by what's deleted\locked\or responded to it seems some of the moderation over there is done by Eeny, meeny, miny, moe.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think for many people, the issue is not that they didn't deserve "a" ban, but rather that they either didn't deserve the length/severity of the ban or -- more to the point -- that the boards are moderated unevenly.

I was really surprised to get a 7 day ban for posting a set of obviously fake patch notes. I was surprised not because what I did wasn't technically ban-worthy (It was against the ToS in effect), but that it didn't seem that it was something that was moderated often prior. And mine was generally comedy, not an attack on someone.
    Last edited by Televators; 2012-12-27 at 09:07 PM.
    EverQuest, City of Heroes, Star Wars Galaxies, EverQuest II, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Star Wars TOR, Guild Wars 2, Rift.

I am happy to share the one that got me Permabanned from the Blizz site. I quoted George Lopez and it was not pretty. You might have to enhance the zoom on your browser. I did not want to make the "hate speech" obvious lol

Quote Originally Posted by BeastmasterGuardian View Post
    You might have to enhance the zoom on your browser. I did not want to make the "hate speech" obvious lol
    Ugh. Taken out of its context, no one would assume that was a quote from a comedian, especially given the thread's topic.

Before the official forums switched over to what they are today, I got permanently banned (and tried repealing this ban a few times months later to no avail) for posting a dark knight spoiler before the movie officially came out. Did it say ANYTHING in the forum guidelines about posting spoilers being a complete no-no? NO! but there you go...

Moral of the story, you piss off the wrong person at blizz, you pay.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm permanently banned because I posted in a troll thread. Someone asked if they should name their baby Alexstraza, and in response to someone else in the thread, I was like, why not? People name their children after fictional characters all the time. Like Jesus and Mary.

Apparently this constitutes "religious discussion".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Televators View Post
    I think for many people, the issue is not that they didn't deserve "a" ban, but rather that they either didn't deserve the length/severity of the ban or -- more to the point -- that the boards are moderated unevenly.

I was really surprised to get a 7 day ban for posting a set of obviously fake patch notes. I was surprised not because what I did wasn't technically ban-worthy (It was against the ToS in effect), but that it didn't seem that it was something that was moderated often prior. And mine was generally comedy, not an attack on someone.
    People will always be disappointed if they expect even moderation across dozens of forums with thousands of posters and quite likely an understaffed moderation team (see Blizz boards on weekends...ugh). That said, I don't disagree with you entirely. It's just that it's extremely difficult, especially when I'm reasonably certain that unreported posts never see a moderator. So worse stuff gets by if it's never flagged and other milder stuff gets caught if it is.

The same thing happened over there on the D3 boards with the "Aren't you thankful" meme. At a certain point, they started moderating posts that were doing nothing but spamming that but there was no chance they'd ever go back and look at history or for that matter, even keep it up once that particular fad died down. So people got banned/suspended for it while other people didn't.

In the end, the best advice is to make it a non-issue by obeying the TOS/Rules.

---------- Post added 2012-12-27 at 01:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanist View Post
    I'm permanently banned because I posted in a troll thread. Someone asked if they should name their baby Alexstraza, and in response to someone else in the thread, I was like, why not? People name their children after fictional characters all the time. Like Jesus and Mary.

Apparently this constitutes "religious discussion".
    If you don't see how calling Jesus and Mary fictional characters is religious discussion, then I'd advise you to start paying more attention.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2012-12-27 at 09:31 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Elementalkin View Post
    Ugh. Taken out of its context, no one would assume that was a quote from a comedian, especially given the thread's topic.
    Sadly, the the comments preceeding mine left me open to make the comment. I figured hey, if George Lopez can say it. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized it would be the same as repeating stuff Chris Rock says. Then again, if it was Chris Rock primetime and not Chris Rock HBO, I should be ok. Either way, they did me a favor. That forum is just loaded with special cases.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    People will always be disappointed if they expect even moderation across dozens of forums with thousands of posters and quite likely an understaffed moderation team (see Blizz boards on weekends...ugh). That said, I don't disagree with you entirely. It's just that it's extremely difficult, especially when I'm reasonably certain that unreported posts never see a moderator. So worse stuff gets by and other stuff gets caught.

The same thing happened over there on the D3 boards with the "Aren't you thankful" meme. At a certain point, they started moderating posts that were doing nothing but spamming that but there was no chance they'd ever go back and look at history or for that matter, even keep it up once that particular fad died down. So people got banned/suspended for it while other people didn't.

In the end, the best advice is to make it a non-issue by obeying the TOS/Rules.

---------- Post added 2012-12-27 at 01:30 PM ----------

If you don't see how calling Jesus and Mary fictional characters is religious discussion, then I'd advise you to start paying more attention.
    Agree with what you've said. My issue was that Blizz reps refused to acknowledge this obvious piece of truth. Just be human and admit to it.

As for religion, the only religious topics that are offsides are major religions such as Christianity and Islam, which is more uneven application of rules. No would EVER be modded on Blizz boards for saying Buddha was fictional.
    EverQuest, City of Heroes, Star Wars Galaxies, EverQuest II, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Star Wars TOR, Guild Wars 2, Rift.

Just because a book tells about a character does not make the character a real person. I understand people have personal beliefs when it comes to names in the Bible, but my beliefs about characters from Lord of the Rings are just as real. Whose to say which is real and which is not? I think it is all a matter of personal opinion. That being said, Frodo is not a religious icon and would therefore not offend someone's religious beliefs. Sadly, everything is PC these days and everything everyone says is bound to affect at least 1 person in 7 billion. The President of the United States maintains a professional demeanor and uses perfectly appropriate verbiage when speaking to the public, yet he ticks off and offends hundreds of people everyday. Can't please everyone

Deleted
    So you got a 72h ban on the wow forum and the first thing you do is qq here? ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    So you got a 72h ban on the wow forum and the first thing you do is qq here? ^^
    We're having a mellow and pleasant conversation, you might try being a little less rude in the thread.

Deleted
    I did get 72h ban from the Diablo 3 forums when I had a thread selling unindentified items. I got banned for bumping/trolling, altough I had been running it for 2 weeks without a ban, but I guess I had it comming.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    All of the examples/anecdotes in this thread that purport to demonstrate how unfair Blizzard's system is are entirely useless without seeing the actual posts.
    https://images.nonexiste.net/popular...cene-language/

Sums up my ban. My perma ban came because i asked why a word used in public television is bannable in a mature rated game.

"Sitting on my ass eating a cheeseburger killing monsters."

Ya thats obscene..

Perhaps your putting a little too much faith in blizzard and not enough in the posters of this forum.

"I did get 72h ban from the Diablo 3 forums when I had a thread selling unindentified items. I got banned for bumping/trolling, altough I had been running it for 2 weeks without a ban, but I guess I had it comming."

Mine came a month later, guess they didnt like something i said and dug up an old post.

Deleted
    Pretty much. Received a 1 month ban last week for hinting at ways of obtaining the program fraps that i should probably have left unsaid when he complained about free version having limited recording time, Was no direct links though so probably reason for not being a perma one. 1 month is a bit harsh for using 2 words being "crack it" but i guess i had it coming.
    Last edited by mmoc0d096f98da; 2012-12-27 at 10:07 PM.