Poll: Should alimony still exist?

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Liagala View Post
    I live in the US. No it isn't. That's the way you interpret it because you insist on believing that women care about nothing but their own happiness, and are perfectly content stepping on men to get it. It exists to help people who previously relied on financial support from their spouse to live, and are not getting that anymore.
    That may be the real intent, but you cannot deny that there are women out there who use it to maintain a lifestyle which they themselves cannot afford.

Is that the way it is in Italy, where the ex PM's ex-wife was ordered to get over $30m a year in alimony?

10+ Year Old Account
    If alimony was actually used properly and not exploited by women then sure it could stay around but I really don't see the need to do that. Also splitting assets should be whoever owned shit prior to the marriage keeps that and whatever was generated during the marriage split evenly. A simple solution to prevent any issues is not getting fucking married if you arent 100% sure you are going to be together til death.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaderas View Post
    That may be the real intent, but you cannot deny that there are women out there who use it to maintain a lifestyle which they themselves cannot afford.
    I won't even try to deny that, but there's a very large difference between what you just said, and what seta-san has been saying for several pages. He's got a pretty misogynistic view of things, and I don't like being called a gold-digger simply because I happen to have lady parts. What you said doesn't point the finger at all women in general, it simply states the fact that some of them abuse the system.

again i only have to point to this video to see what alimony is.

seriously. it's funny to see you try to fight for your female privilege.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you from the state of Florida? My dad has been stuck with life-long alimony for the last 16 years. I understand and agree with Child support, but alimony, while I think could be needed in very limited short term events, is pointless. I would say if a woman gave up school or a job, for their marriage, she deserves something extra to get her back on her feet, but only for a very limited term. As it is now, there is no incentive for them to do anything, because they get paid and get more money by not getting remarried. There is no reason a woman should get money just because she is "accustomed to a certain life". Just because she married a man with a good profession doesn't give her the right to his money for the rest of his life, she gets half of what was theirs anyways.
    Last edited by Noah37; 2012-12-28 at 08:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    There's nothing for casuals to do, beyond pretend they are raiders in LFR.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Liagala View Post
    I won't even try to deny that, but there's a very large difference between what you just said, and what seta-san has been saying for several pages. He's got a pretty misogynistic view of things, and I don't like being called a gold-digger simply because I happen to have lady parts. What you said doesn't point the finger at all women in general, it simply states the fact that some of them abuse the system.
    Agreed. While not because of marriage, I have been on the end of a "gold digger" and false statements of love. Tens of thousands of dollars poorer now, a little harder of heart and a little wiser, I still remain optimistic that most women, just like most men, are good at heart. Just a little more cautious now of individuals...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by seta-san View Post
    okay. other than the fact you're ignoring common law marriages let's try to walk you back. The purpose of alimony is to keep women in the lifestyle they are accustomed. Can we both agree that no one has a right to a an extravagant lifestyle that they have become accustomed?

Probably yeah.

So then what? Alimony should be what? At most it should be a temporary allowance (one year at max) to allow the other person to get on their feet. Personally I feel that it should only be paid until the divorce is finalized.

Eh, i sort of see where you are going and I kind of agree, I have even heard it argued what what someone can be accustomed to as it refers to materialistic needs, joke or otherwise.

But, while I agree with you in part, where i depart however is this, there are just as many woman looking for a sugar daddy, as there are men out there looking for you know what, and my point is neither one of them in my view are especially owed any kind of special treatment or justice or what not.

But, Generally, not totally. I believe women are often times more the subject of this kind of bad behavior more than men, and i think its kind of preyed upon more to. I could be wrong on that i don't have any specific data to confirm that.

And to my knowledge alimony is already only temporary, in most cases, not saying women can't milk it, but again, i am not for rewarding either men or women who openly get married in what could be a contentious situation where both can lose out. I just don't want to make getting married or divorced any easier, i rather just not have the state waste time or resources on what selfish decisions people make knowingly and with little care for the cost, and i don't just mean financial
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I actually didn't. I'm on Canada's doorstep. It's also a joke that we're essentially Canadians up here.
    Oh, I wasn't talking about you. I assumed you were in Minnesota or North Dakota or something.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

You're either willfully ignorant or trolling. Neither deserves my time and effort to respond further.

Agreed. While not because of marriage, I have been on the end of a "gold digger" and false statements of love. Tens of thousands of dollars poorer now, a little harder of heart and a little wiser, I still remain optimistic that most women, just like most men, are good at heart. Just a little more cautious now of individuals...
    Ouch. That had to hurt - but it's pretty impressive that while your relationship was certainly ruined, you didn't let it ruin you. Too many people let negative experiences change them and close them down. There's a pretty fair amount of that in this thread alone.

Deleted
    Alimony has to exist, though I disagree with the current system. If a woman spends 7 years at home raising the children or being a housewife that is seven years of her life lost. Seven years of job experience, seven years of potential promotions. Finding yourself outside a relationship with kids and all the experience of a fresh college graduate can't be fun.

However, this nonsense where people are kept in luxury clearly needs to stop. I think a fair way of determining the amount of alimony would be to simply "top up" the partner's wage to the point they're earning the average salary for somebody with however many more years of experience. However, I'd only have this in place for people earning significantly above average. The random guy on the street clearly can't afford to do that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't think so before but as time goes on, someone i know brought up an interesting point about why is it the state is even involved in marriage at all, to which at the time i kind of disagreed because we were talking about gay marriage, but yeah, I think I am kind of starting to see that point of view.

Granted there are certain things legally that can be iron out without even having to touch the holy or otherwise bounds of marriage two people choose to participate in, but i really wonder if civil unions were the norm, or if society completly butted out of peoples personal choices as they concern to adults.

And maybe even what if our legal frame work and so fourth didn't work around what two people decide to do which really doesn't include anybody but the arrangment of the two adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    But, while I agree with you in part, where i depart however is this, there are just as many woman looking for a sugar daddy, as there are men out there looking for you know what, and my point is neither one of them in my view are especially owed any kind of special treatment or justice or what not.
    fine. my compromise then would be court ordered alimony for court ordered sex.

What the fuck? That's kinda sick dude.

again i only have to point to this video to see what alimony is.

LOL. Very biased propaganda video FTW.

Tho I am against "quality of life" alimony but for "to get by" alimony.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

10+ Year Old Account
    HAHAHA, sorry thats awful, and I kind of had a worry that kind of thinking would go there, while i am sure some will take exception to that, I am not going to advocate slavery, but I don't know in some cases I think marriage can kind of be used for that purpose anyways. I think we can play fancy word games so we feel better about it but yeah, I can see your point.

But I can also see very seriously why as bad as it is, some goofball losing his wallet over a very stupid and shallow choice, is a different than what you suggested but yeah, over all its that thinking which makes me even wonder why the state doesn't get out of it altogether.

I am NOT for Alimony as a way because i feel like rewarding the woman just because either in most cases, its just that the state of Holy matrimony is kind of turning into McMarriage.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    What the fuck? That's kinda sick dude.
    seriously? you can't see the blatant misandry in forcing men to pay women based on one aspect of dissolved relationship. but it's suddenly sexist to expect payment from women to men based on another aspect of the same relationship? You might argue that sex involves women's bodies... But doesn't the work men do to earn money involve theirs? I'm just underscoring how sick alimony truly is.

seriously? you can't see the blatant misandry in forcing men to pay women based on one aspect of dissolved relationship. but it's suddenly sexist to expect payment from women to men based on another aspect of the same relationship? You might argue that sex involves women's bodies... But doesn't the work men do to earn money involve theirs? I'm just underscoring how sick alimony truly is.
    Violating a wallet, and violating a person are two very different things. The mere suggestion of forced intercourse is outright reprehensible.

10+ Year Old Account
    I changed my mind, I thought Alimony was the same as Child Support. *Smacks himself*
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

The same goes for men last time i checked...